· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    I don't recall my info being "unconventional", at least usually in this forum though with fancy goldfish I could indeed be under informed. Generally speaking though, goldfish, even small ones have huge bio needs. Its possible lack of growth could be from small quarters for them, or, oddly enough, not enough aeration.

As I said there is somewhere on this forum by a senior member the goldfish growth chart, they should be housed in a tank for their expected growth. Goldfish will stop growing (stunt) if the situation they are in is inadequate.

From my first mistakes at goldfish keeping I do know, from just my personal experience, my goldfish did not grow and stayed small until they were in a pond. Granted these were comets.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

0 Not allowed!
    Oddly enough, the sticky for gold fish growth is in this same section of the forum

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=47133

While I have never kept gold fish other than a fan tail years ago, I believe the information in that thread to be accurate based on goldfish that I have seen others keep in tanks and ponds
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    I may have come up with the answer for why they're not growing. Tiari told another member that they are underfeeding their goldfish. Could I be underfeeding mine as well? It never even occurred to me. You hear so much about the problems related to overfeeding, rarely is anything said about underfeeding.

So I went about trying to determine how much I should be feeding them. That's sort of a tricky question. A lot of people will say "no more than the fish can eat in X amount of time". That seems really arbitrary to me, and besides, there's no agreement on exactly how long X is. A much more precise answer has to do with weight. People actually weigh their fish and then feed a certain percentage of their weight. From what I've read, 0.5% to 1% daily will "maintain" an adult fish. Young growing fish need around 2%, and people conditioning goldfish for show or breeding condition aim for more like 5%. So 2% is probably a good number for me.

The next step was figuring out how much the food I use (NLS 3mm sinking pellets) weighs. I had to count out a whole bunch of pellets because I don't have a very precise scale, but I think I have it figured that one pellet weighs about 0.07 grams. Or, 14.3 pellets per gram, if you like.

The next question is how much the fish weigh. I haven't tried this but based on reporting from other people I'd guess my smaller goldfish weight 30-40 grams. That would mean 0.6-0.8 grams of food per fish per day, or 9-12 pellets per day. Since I feed twice a day, that's about 5 pellets per feeding. I've been feeding less than half that. They haven't been getting the 2% they need to grow, they've been getting the 1% they need to maintain.

I'm going to recheck my numbers on the food weight and try to actually weigh the fish, but if I'm doing the math right I may have identified why exactly they're not growing.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

0 Not allowed!
    The feeding didn't even occur to me! That could be it right there. Goldfish eat a LOT. You feed less than they want, because, well, they will always "plead hungry" and stuff themselves.

If your nitrates start rising unpredictably, you will know you are feeding too much. That's the basic indicator I used to use when they were in a tank setting. If uncertain less is better for that reason.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I found a couple errors in my math, and realized that I should be aiming for 1% of their weight per day, not 2% (2% is for fry). I also weighed two of the fish and estimated the other two by that. When it's all said and done it looks like I was underfeeding a bit, but not that badly. I'll be feeding them more now and we'll see if I notice any growth after a few months.
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Thought I'd post an update. It's been less than two months into the new feeding regime but I'm definitely seeing a change. I used to have two goldfish about the same size, smaller than the other two. One of those has put on noticeable weight and is almost the size of the second largest now. It's hard to say for sure if they're all growing, but it hasn't been that long yet. I'll weigh them again in another month or two.

I also got a new fifth goldfish, bigger than the rest. Things have been going there except for the first night when I tried to mate with the two next largest goldfish. Apparently goldfish mating (or attempts thereof) is a prolonged and violent process, so we've still got torn fins that are healing up.

0 Not allowed!
    Good to hear. If you monitor your water quality you shouldnt really be afraid to overfeed. More food means more rapid growth and as long as the water quality remain stable the exact bioload remains unimportant.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Awards Showcase

4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brhino View Post
    I tried to mate with the two next largest goldfish.
    And this is why you proofread your posts, people!

0 Not allowed!
    Hehe classic.

I believe in giving my fellow members a good laugh by not proofing texts. You can usually understand what was meant anyway. I didnt even notive it when i read your post earlier.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brhino View Post
    And this is why you proofread your posts, people!

I can't tell you how many times I posted or wrote emails without properly proofreading. It is way to easy to do, because everything looks fine to you as you type it usually. If you want further proof - read this paragraph (most of you should be able to if English is your natural language even if a bit slower) -

"it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe"
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!