· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

Default My Goldfish don't Grow!

0 Not allowed!
    Two fancy goldfish were part of my first purchase when I began fishkeeping. Once I started to learn the actual rules of responsible fishkeeping, I got them a 60 gallon tank and increased their number to four. The tank looked so empty but I told myself that eventually there'd be 6-12" monsters nicely filling out the space.

The thing is... my goldfish have never really grown. I've lost a few, I'd had others for years, and not a one has gained any noticeable size. Now, I understand that goldfish are supposed to be slow growing, but I've got clown loaches in another tank, and those "slow growers" put on obvious size in the months after I got them.

I've gotten little goldfish that stayed little, and medium goldfish that stayed medium. My tank is understocked and overfiltered for the bioload that's in it. I'm tempted to admit that these fish just aren't going to reach the size some due, and go ahead and add a few more of them. What do people think? Why aren't these guys growing? Genetics, or something I'm doing?
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Assuming there are no chemistry issues, what do you feed and how often ? I would recommend a high quality, high protein slow sinking pellet, make sure it contains some vegetable matter, and you can treat with bloodworms or brine shrimp, even mysis.
    If You Watch Your Fishes Closely, They Will Teach You Something Every Day

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Actually a high protein diet is bad for goldfish. It is true they are omnivores, but they require more vegetable based food or they will develop digestion problems. Of course Brhino knows this.

Brhino, I'm not sure why your goldfish aren't growing but I'm not sure adding more is wise simply because there is no guarantee the new additions won't grow to their full potential. Then again, if the new additions do outgrow the old fish it is a great excuse for another tank.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

1 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above

IMO fish can sometimes be like people. Some people will grow to 4'0" while others will grow to over 6'. Perhaps your fish were just never meant to play in the NBA ?

I know you keep very good water quality and feed good quality foods. The only thing that comes to mind for me is that perhaps this is related to genetics or the care they received before you got them.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe a detailed tap water analysis might show something that would explain it? Just throwing out ideas...Maybe some kind of slow leaching contamination in the substrate or decorations, was it used when you set it up?
    Are the fish from different stores/stock?

crazy...they grow malformed in tanks that are too small for them, but don't grow in a properly sized tank...
    Last edited by sheamurai; 12-04-2013 at 01:35 PM.

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for all the responses. To answer questions -

Food is standard NLS stuff. Short of an ideal diet I'm sure but ought to be plenty good enough.
    Anything in water / decor / etc that stunts growth would have to be something that only effects goldfish, since this is not an issue that any of my other species have experienced.
    The goldfish have come from two different stores. Some from my (non-chain) LFS and some from Petsmart.
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp

0 Not allowed!
    Could it be that prior to your getting them, they were kept in such cramped quarters that they were already stunted before you purchased them? Do stunted fish ever resume growing once they're housed in properly sized tanks? Or is the stunting permanent? To me, that would seem the most likely cause, since you take proper care of them once you acquire them.

--mermaid
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

1 Not allowed!
    I have nothing else to add but can we have some photos of them? (any excuse for photos)
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    The answer to your problem seems elementary to me, that the tank is too small. I know it doesn't look it to your eyes, but indeed, goldfish need a heck of a lot of room.

First you have fancy goldfish, which won't grow to foot long monsters overnight, but can grow to outrageous sizes. Generally speaking you'd need at least 20-30 gallons PER FISH. I don't have the link off hand to the goldfish growth chart, but its on this forum somewhere, so you can check the average growth of your fish according to their breed.

If the fish were severely stunted in a small tank for a period of time, they may delay in growing, or have lifelong growth problems. If your fish are not growing a half to a full inch a month, something may be wrong with the space involved.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe View Post
    Could it be that prior to your getting them, they were kept in such cramped quarters that they were already stunted before you purchased them? Do stunted fish ever resume growing once they're housed in properly sized tanks?
    I've thought about that, but given that I've used multiple vendors and that the ones I've gotten are from medium to small sized, it doesn't seem likely.

Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~ View Post
    I have nothing else to add but can we have some photos of them? (any excuse for photos)
    My good camera is on the fritz these days. I can try to take some with the camera on my smartphone, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiari View Post
    The answer to your problem seems elementary to me, that the tank is too small...
    ...Generally speaking you'd need at least 20-30 gallons PER FISH.
    That would certainly be an unconventional opinion. I'm not saying you're wrong because I don't claim to know enough to say so, but your opinion would contradict most of what I've seen, including two stickies in this particular forum. Logically, you would think that unless we're talking about a tank that is SEVERELY undersized (like the hated goldfish bowl), even if a tank were too small for the full size of the fish, it would be acceptable while the fish were only a fraction of that size. If that weren't the case, there'd be no such thing as a growout tank for fish fry or juvies.