· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Auratus Questions

0 Not allowed!
    In your experience, at what size do the males start to change color and is a typical 1/3 or 4 male to female ratio good?

Thanks

55g African Cichlid tank -
    29g Community tank -

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Mine have all changed between 2.5 and 3 inches. It seems I am unlikely since I would up with 3 males.

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    If you're keeping them in a 55 make sure there's loads of rocks and caves for cover. The thing about auratus is the size of the territory they claim, generally about 4-5' in every direction. Any fish that can't get out of that area or find cover is at serious risk, but given a suitably large tank they aren't a problem in a mixed Malawi community.
    I have to ask though, why even bother with them? They're one of the worst species to keep, more likely to kill the females, and the fry are quite difficult to get rid of if they do spawn successfully. They're mass produced in FL ponds, so they're cheap and commonly available, but so are common pleco's...

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.

4. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by toddnbecka View Post
    I have to ask though, why even bother with them? They're one of the worst species to keep, more likely to kill the females, and the fry are quite difficult to get rid of if they do spawn successfully. They're mass produced in FL ponds, so they're cheap and commonly available, but so are common pleco's...

I'm bothering with them because of the same reason any of us get any other fish, I guess. I like the way they look and I like to watch them. Sure, they may require a little more work to keep the peace in the tank, but that challenge is part of the fun. Otherwise I would just get a tank full of 15 cent goldfish and call it a day.

29g Community tank -

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    No offense intended, I've just seen so many posts on various forums from people complaining about auratus. Most often one that reached maturity and killed a number of other fish, or even in a species tank the male had killed the female/s. I had a similar issue with Victorian Hap's in a 55, the males killed the females and then each other, and they aren't as notably troublesome as auratus. Best thing was they didn't go after other species, just their own kind.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by toddnbecka View Post
    No offense intended, I've just seen so many posts on various forums from people complaining about auratus. Most often one that reached maturity and killed a number of other fish, or even in a species tank the male had killed the female/s. I had a similar issue with Victorian Hap's in a 55, the males killed the females and then each other, and they aren't as notably troublesome as auratus. Best thing was they didn't go after other species, just their own kind.
    No offense taken. I know you didn't mean it that way. I do see a lot of people on here talking about how aggressive they are. I also see that about Demosonis, and I have those too. But to me, both are such beautiful fish that I'm willing to put in the extra work and care to make it work. The good thing about this site is that doing a little research on it and having posts like this allow me to know what to expect. I do appreciate the info.

29g Community tank -

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    started off with 4 assorted African cichlids that's what the tank listed them as and on impulse I bought all in the tank . Brought them home to their new house a 55 gallon with plenty of hiding spots as well as open space for swimming.1auratus , 2red zebras , 1 rusty . the auratus killed the red zebras and nearly killed the rusty , however I still have both fish in two different tanks and I feel , based on my observations that they are both happy and healthy . In the near future I am planning on purchasing 6 more of the auratus in hope of obtaining a pair (or) 2 .They are an amazing fish with tons of personality . They may be mean but that is only part of their makeup . If you have at 55gallons to create their home I would say go for it , just be prepared for anything and that will most likely be losing some fish .
    ask ?'s and change some water pair of JD's and loving it.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by eltylT View Post
    started off with 4 assorted African cichlids that's what the tank listed them as and on impulse I bought all in the tank . Brought them home to their new house a 55 gallon with plenty of hiding spots as well as open space for swimming.1auratus , 2red zebras , 1 rusty . the auratus killed the red zebras and nearly killed the rusty , however I still have both fish in two different tanks and I feel , based on my observations that they are both happy and healthy . In the near future I am planning on purchasing 6 more of the auratus in hope of obtaining a pair (or) 2 .They are an amazing fish with tons of personality . They may be mean but that is only part of their makeup . If you have at 55gallons to create their home I would say go for it , just be prepared for anything and that will most likely be losing some fish .
    I have 4 small Auratus right now. The biggest of the four is about 1.5 in. and growing fast. He/she can be a little bossy at times with the other fish and the other three not so much. I'm hoping I'll get lucky with him as the sole male. It may just be because of his/her size, but I guess time will tell. They really are cool looking fish though.

29g Community tank -

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes they are a good looking fish. Mine has colored up pretty good , he changes color tint with his change of mood I guess but he does eat well and patrols the entire bottom of the tank as though he knows he owns all that room "at the moment". Can't wait to get the others . Keep us posted.
    ask ?'s and change some water pair of JD's and loving it.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My tank is full of the cichlid stones. I switch up how they are stacked at waterchanges and I think they work pretty well to keep the peace. Even when one does get attacked it is able to heal up without being removed.