· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Is my new Betta sick?

0 Not allowed!
    I just got my first betta! Unfortunately I noticed when I got home that he does have a little bit of fin damage. :( I guess it's hard to tell when the betta was in a little plastic cup. Anyways he also has some spots on his body. Someone suggested to me it might be a disease but I think it maybe just his natural coloring? His behavior doesn't seem like that of a sick fish to me although this is my first betta. He seems happy swimming around the tank and eagerly accepts any food I offer to him. What do you people think? I've posted some pictures below.

Tank is a 5gal with ammonia, nitrites and nitrates 0ppm although this tank was only set up 3 days ago.

photo (2).jpgphoto (3).jpg

Awards Showcase

I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass 
    this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl 
    for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer 

0 Not allowed!
    It looks like it might be the beginnings of fin rot. Clean water is what he needs most. Unless you used seeded filter media from another filter you are also cycling the tank with fish which will add more stress on the fish.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    The spots, if you are talking about the glint on his posterior end, seems to be normal coloration.
    his abdomen seems swollen though. maybe stop feeding for a day and see how the betta responds.

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FishkeeperFenix View Post
    I just got my first betta! Unfortunately I noticed when I got home that he does have a little bit of fin damage. :( I guess it's hard to tell when the betta was in a little plastic cup. Anyways he also has some spots on his body. Someone suggested to me it might be a disease but I think it maybe just his natural coloring? His behavior doesn't seem like that of a sick fish to me although this is my first betta. He seems happy swimming around the tank and eagerly accepts any food I offer to him. What do you people think? I've posted some pictures below.

photo (2).jpgphoto (3).jpg
    +1 with above posts - the reason your water parameters are all reading 0 is because your tank needs to cycle - fresh water will do much to improve the appearance of your fish as well as protect it from ammonia/stress.

Hopefully you have a liquid test kit to keep on top of your parameter readings and if the ammonia goes over .25ppm it's time to change your water to get the ammonia down.
    Tank is a 5gal with ammonia, nitrites and nitrates 0ppm although this tank was only set up 3 days ago.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for all the insight. I did use established filter media from my other tank and I am aware that this new tank needs to cycle. I noticed this morning he was blowing some bubbles so I guess he's somewhat happy. :)

Is the fin damage reversible by the way?

0 Not allowed!
    If you've added media from a different tank then good for you. There is no need to cycle because cycling is precisely the process of obtaining these bacteria, which have already been added. Fin damage is certainly reversible, as long as the base of the fin is not affected. In the case of your betta his fins still appear in good condition and the minor losses at the fin ends should re grow with good care.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the info. You can't really tell from the pictures I've posted but half of one of his ventral fins is missing. I guess you're telling me that will never grow back. On the bright side though I noticed today that the small holes I noticed in his fins before have now been patched up. :)

0 Not allowed!
    Why do you think so? Fin damage is irreversible when the base (where the fin joins the body) is damaged, but other than that it can certainly re grow.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The spots are definitely just spots. If spots are in a neat pattern like that, they're definitely not ich or a similar disease, and I can't think of any parasite that's shiny. Those silver flecks are pretty common in red bettas.
    From what I'm seeing, those ventral fins will probably regrow if there's no other problems, just keep the water clean. I had this female betta get in a fight with another female (who was removed afterwards, of course) and lose a big old hunk of her anal fin, right down to where it attached to the rest of her. About a month later, it was pretty much regrown.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

0 Not allowed!
    If there is any remnant of the fin root, even if microscopic, still attached to the body, it is possible for it to regrow. You won't know for a while, but if after a few weeks it doesn't grow in, then likely the entire fin with its base cells were ripped out.

I agree, his belly looks abnormally swollen. Watch how much you feed him, fast him for a day then resume to only three pellets once a day, and see if that swelling goes down. They don't need much food, you could be over feeding him. Their belly is the size of their eyeball, so imagine if you are giving him a bunch of pellets, that belly is going to swell way up and cause damage.

They are good little buggars at pretending they are STARVING...... don't buy it.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.