· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!

Been collecting stuff for my tank. There's a few nice roots in here and some wood hunks I like... Oh, that red spot you can kinda see on the thicker root piece? Concentrated food coloring, not paint or blood. I figure I'm just gonna rinse it for a while, maybe boil it, and that should get enough of the dye out that it won't stain the water any more than the tannins already will. I know some of those leaves are too fresh... I've just been picking up nice leaves outside and I'm going to let them dry for quite a while. I wanted to make sure I could get some nice leaves before they get all stepped on and soggy.
    It is now officially FRIGGIN' COLD! Tomorrow's high is 35F. THIRTY-FIVE FRIGGIN' DEGREES. Which is incredibly cold for early December in Texas. I'm not gonna go outside, probably.

Our kitten sleeping with the fishes. She likes going up there and staring at the fish, trying to bat them through the glass lid. I've also caught her playing with the black skirts through the glass and attempting to bite the goby when he comes up and just sticks there. I swear he's taunting her.

Found this in a local lake... It's part of a fish skull. The curved bit at one end is where the mouth would be and the prong on the other end shows that it's the end attached to the neck. That thing is MASSIVE. Eight inches long, easily, and that's just the head! Anyone have any clue what sort of fish that might be? I don't think it's a gar... Gigantic bass, maybe? Somebody's released redtail catfish? The backbone would have attached to this piece, I think, which makes me think 'catfish'. Pretty sure we don't have catfish that big in Texas, at least not native.
    It's not going in the tank, I don't think, just wanted to chuck it out there.

Somewhere in this picture is a dragonfly. They stake out spots in our yard this time of year. Give you a few hints; he's resting, his wings are lowered, and he's grey.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

2. Default

0 Not allowed!

Got a bunch of sticks, and my plan has changed. These were not easy sticks to get back home, I had to walk over half a mile with these things poking me all over because I was too stubborn to do anything else. I'm going to do sort of a Texas-river-style thing... There will be some roots on one side, and that branched bit with the Java ferns will be wedged into the other corner. I'm going to use the other sticks to place in the middle of the tank and keep them stacked up, sort of, to let the plants and so-on get some height. The contrast should be pretty cool... Plus, moss and things can be wound around lower sections to let me make shrimp hidey-holes.
    Saw my two big cherry shrimp today. The black skirts tried to eat one, but it got away unhurt. I also laughed my head off for a little while watching my two bluefin killies chase a cherry shrimp as big as them around the tank! It was swimming, so they couldn't catch it, but they were sure determined to try.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas

0 Not allowed!
    Interesting idea with the bones. I'd be tempted to go for a desert look with them. Sand dunes, dome "dead" wood and the bones ... you could always have an oasis with plants to one side - could look awesome!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm, that is a pretty good idea... Could be really cool. I already have something planned out, though, something that I think my fish will enjoy. The desert idea would probably be a bit sparse for some of the critters I want, like the pencilfish.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I didn't have a big enough bucket to soak the sticks and I figure somebody's probably going to need the bathtub between now and December 27th, so I put most of the sticks in my tank to let them soak so they won't float. I can't take a picture because the lights are off now, but the top half of the tank is mostly just sticks and leaves. My female betta likes it, and the rest look like they aren't sure what they think, but the general consensus seems to be that it's good. I have a totally different plan, which I'm going to go and draw up on Paint now.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!

Here's what my tank looks like at the moment. All those sticks are just being soaked in there, and my fish now like them a lot, especially my female cherry shrimp. In fact, here she is:

She's a bit redder in person. Pretty thing, almost an inch long, happy to play up in the sticks and actually quite bold. I know she's a female because she was berried when I got her.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Got everything rearranged. I don't have any pictures, but it looks great. As opposed to my room, which looks like a fish cabinet exploded all over it. Anyone want some sticks and wood?
    I feel like a truck full of stress ran over me... Stupid Python hose was being uncooperative and I had to mess with things, and I couldn't get the black-skirts out because I couldn't find them in all the tannin-filled water. Stupid black-skirts. I'll have to catch them later. Blah.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    HA! I finally caught those stupid black-skirts! But, I'm sick. I think I'm going to trade them in for either some rummynose tetras or some chili rasboras when I get better. No, the chilis aren't going in the main tank... They'd be food. I plan to put them in my new tank, which is a micro-fish tank.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would personally not use the ribs and skeletons in the tank because it is unnatural material in the water column and I think it looks out of place. Just my two cents. Other than that the tank is gonna be Awesome!!