· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Re-doing my aquarium... Again. Wanna watch?

0 Not allowed!

My current 65 gallon. The water isn't disgusting, that's tannins from the wood. Doesn't look too wonderful, does it?
    Plants:
    Swords
    Crypts
    Vals
    Java Fern
    Java Moss
    Flame Moss
    Saggitaria (that I can't tell apart from the vals)
    Random little hunk of green hair algae that's on some of the hornwort and a bit of floating root... Left in because the pencils seem to like it.
    Hornwort
    Anacharis (or however you spell that thing that looks like small swordplant with fat leaves and has rhizomes)

Other decor: One piece of that tube-shaped wood with all the holes (forgot the name, think it might be yucca)
    Two driftwood hunks
    One rock with a hole through it
    One fake waterfall
    Few mostly chewed-on magnolia leaves
    Cow vertebra
    Raccoon rib
    Squirrel skeleton

Eventual fish stock:
    Female betta
    Peacock gudgeon
    Two darters
    Sulawesi goby
    Spotted Headstander
    Either mated pair of German blue rams or a single one if I can't find a pair
    Farowella catfish of some sort. Royal, maybe, or just twig if I can't find a good one
    Five bluefin notho killies
    Three checkerboard chiclids (one male two females, if I can tell the difference)
    15 rummynose tetras
    20 pencilfish, which will be a mix between Beckford's and dwarves. Ten of each, probably, which makes one big school of two different patterns and similar colors.
    Either two green dragon bristlenose plecos (possibly longfin) or five mixed-variety otocinclus (including zebra ottos), it depends on which one I find first.

I may cave in and keep five glowlight tetras instead of five of the pencils... They're starting to show breeding behavior.

Getting traded away:
    One sunset dwarf gourami
    Five black skirt tetras, two longfin, two shortfin, one that I'm not sure about.
    One neon tetra who doesn't match the glowlights he schools with
    Lone unknown-type cory
    Two albino glowlights whose color doesn't match the regular glows
    Possibly five regular glowlights
    Two cherry shrimp that I know are in there... If I can catch them without tearing up the whole tank. If I can't, they get to fend for themselves.

To be done:
    Add more plants. Lots more.
    Add more magnolia leaves.
    Remove waterfall.
    Add nice big stump or clump of roots in the corner where the waterfall used to be.
    If I find a suitable piece of roots, a possum skeleton draped over the roots in pieces.
    Roots that come down from the top - already have some.
    Considering some rocks and tan or black-and-white sand around the stump/roots if I can find a really nice piece... Do you think that would look good? Like, a pool of the different sand under the roots, river rocks placed around it, moss and hornwort clambering all over the roots?
    Get a small bag of black sand and sprinkle it all over stuff to add a bit more sand.
    Possibly introduce some MTS... Don't worry, I have assassin snails to keep them under control. I'm just thinking they'd be good to stir the sand up.
    Decide if I should tuck that hair algae into the roots for the pencils who like it.
    Add plenty of floating plants.
    Find a way to hide the friggin' heater!
    Keep thermometer in easy reach.
    Small bits of wood around things for the fish who'll be down there.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Im very interested to see where all this ends up :)
    If You Watch Your Fishes Closely, They Will Teach You Something Every Day

1 Not allowed!
    "One piece of that tube-shaped wood with all the holes (forgot the name, think it might be yucca)" You may mean cholla wood

and: Anacharis (or however you spell that thing that looks like small swordplant with fat leaves and has rhizomes)" You may mean anubias which has a rhizome. Anacharis is a stem plant.

1 Not allowed!
    Wow - you have already researched all these fish to make sure they won't eventually grow too large for your tank? You can fit that many in there?

Although I'm unfamiliar with many of the fish you want, I hope you are aware that at least for the betta, it might not work out - bettas are a hit or miss when it comes to getting along with other fish.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    @Tropical, thanks! It might be a while before there's any progress, though... I'm probably waiting for Christmas. I'm just gathering leaves and roots right now.
    @SueD, thanks. I was a bit tired yesterday... Yeah, I meant cholla wood and anubias.
    @imma24, yes, I've been doing plenty of research. The biggest fish will be the farowella cat, who gets about 8" long, absolute max, but is very skinny and mostly tail muscle. Green dragon bristlenose plecs get around 3" long, one of the tiniest plecos, and spotted headstanders get around 4" long. Sulawesi gobies get 2" or so, little fellows, and my darters get 3" long at their absolute biggest. The tank's going to be pretty heavily planted, too, and will have two 55 filters on it.
    I know bettas are hit and miss, she's one I already have. She absolutely hates other female bettas but ignores everything else... Literally ignores. She doesn't even go around one, she just glides around the tank like an empress and the other fish have to move or she'll pretty much bump into them.

I plan to get a nice root-stump thing and put it in the side of the tank that has the waterfall now and put a few inches of leaves under the roots for the fish who like to play around in leaves. Plus... I hope I'll get my pencils to breed. If it happens, I've read that the stuff that grows on the leaves will feed the little fry, plus there'll be leaves and moss to let the babies hide. I'm gonna doodle up a thing on Paint to show what I'm planning... It'll be messy, but it'll get my idea across.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Fishkeeper; 12-04-2013 at 12:26 AM.

1 Not allowed!
    This is purely out of curiosity, as as long as the bones are covered by epoxy there will not be problems putting them in the tank, but what is your inspiration for putting animal bones in your tank?
    It will certainly make for a unique display.
    Oh, and while you can certainly plan hard scape and maybe the position of one or two big focal point plants, don't bother being exact with everything. Plants move and shift as they grow, and the end result will likely be totally different.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I personally really like bones, I just find them interesting. I had this squirrel skeleton, and I was like "Why not put this in my tank?". The cow vertebra is in there because it's a good size and the fish like it, there's a random raccoon rib for no particular reason, and the possum is going to go in if I find a nice piece of wood for it to rest on because I think it'll not only display a nice contrast between the similar-yet-different skeletons, but in my mind it lends just an air of slight mystery... To make it short, because I think it'll look cool. And, if I don't like how the possum looks, I can take him out and just keep him for my personal collection.
    I know that things are going to change, as will my own personal ideas, that's just a more-or-less idea of where things are going to be.

0 Not allowed!
    in case you haven't considered this issue, for the squirrel skeleton(and possibly the possum skeleton) the smaller bones (hand, foot bones, etc) may mix and disappear into the gravel if not attached somewhere.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have each of the squirrel's legs glued together, the one paw I have is all attached together, and most of the vertebrae and tail are linked into about three sections. I've lost an inch off the tip of the tail (I suspect my checkerboard stole it, I saw him messing with it before), but due to the fact that it's on sand, it's staying together. I know fish will move things, but I'm going to sort of half-jam the possum bones into various spots and then use java moss to tie them on. Java moss is surprisingly willing to be tied around things.