· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Don't forget to cycle the tank BEFORE adding any fish! :) There are some good bacteria you need to cultivate, so make sure any bleach is completely gone. Incidentals to consider for proper aquarium maintenance:

API test kit (like talldutchie said)
    Water siphon/water changer/gravel vac or a big bucket
    Algae remover tool (scrubber, etc)
    Net
    Water conditioner (removes chlorine)

Welcome to the fold! ;)
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus Happy Birthday. - gadget228 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    I hate to confuse newbies but....

I don't think I'd use bleach. Yes it's a powerful disinfectant but it has a nasty habit of lingering for a long time, especially in porous media like ceramics.
    I don't know where this idea started but I have to respectfully disagree. Chlorine bleach will completely gas off in a couple of days and if it doesn't, a soak in a good dechlorinator will take care of any trace remnants.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    If that's the case then why does that smell linger for so long?

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus Happy Birthday. - gadget228 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Furthermore, use of bleach as a disinfectant does not form dioxins. In its manufacturing process, hypochlorite bleach begins as salt and water. After use, the compound breaks down mainly into salt and water during or quickly after use. As an EPA-registered disinfectant, bleach classification as a "pesticide" and related language can sometimes cause further misperception when bleach is actually one of the world’s most widely available and used disinfectants.
    Bleach and respiratory effects: The characteristic smell of bleach is indicative of a disinfected environment, but should not be a cause for concern for any adverse health effects. This is because the sensory threshold levels for chlorine species is well below any levels recognized to cause potential respiratory irritation, or overt health effects, and is reflected in the current occupational limits. It is unlikely that typical recommended uses of these disinfectants, used in accordance with the label directions, will exceed the occupational exposure limits for chlorine. In fact, the odor threshold for chlorine (when the scent is noticeable) is listed at 0.002 ppm in air and 0.31 ppm in water (EPA 1994b, 1999). Perceivable sensory irritation, however, occurs at 1.0 ppm in air, 500 times that of the odor threshold (EPA 1999. Cited from “Toxicology Profile for Chlorine”, ASTDR, USDHHS, September 2007). Taken from http://www.infectioncontroltoday.com...ach-odors.aspx

A Risk Assessment Report (RAR) conducted by the European Union on sodium hypochlorite conducted under Regulation EEC 793/93 concluded that this substance is safe for the environment in all its current, normal uses.[26] This is due to its high reactivity and instability. Disappearance of hypochlorite is practically immediate in the natural aquatic environment, reaching in a short time concentration as low as 10−22 μg/L or less in all emission scenarios. In addition, it was found that while volatile chlorine species may be relevant in some indoor scenarios, they have negligible impact in open environmental conditions. Further, the role of hypochlorite pollution is assumed as negligible in soils. Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleach
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

0 Not allowed!
    And your point being? This still says nothing about bleach lingering in small holes in the ceramics.

Additionally... why disinfect if the tank has been dry for 2-3 weeks?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    Furthermore, use of bleach as a disinfectant does not form dioxins. In its manufacturing process, hypochlorite bleach begins as salt and water. After use, the compound breaks down mainly into salt and water during or quickly after use. As an EPA-registered disinfectant, bleach classification as a "pesticide" and related language can sometimes cause further misperception when bleach is actually one of the world’s most widely available and used disinfectants.
    Bleach and respiratory effects: The characteristic smell of bleach is indicative of a disinfected environment, but should not be a cause for concern for any adverse health effects. This is because the sensory threshold levels for chlorine species is well below any levels recognized to cause potential respiratory irritation, or overt health effects, and is reflected in the current occupational limits. It is unlikely that typical recommended uses of these disinfectants, used in accordance with the label directions, will exceed the occupational exposure limits for chlorine. In fact, the odor threshold for chlorine (when the scent is noticeable) is listed at 0.002 ppm in air and 0.31 ppm in water (EPA 1994b, 1999). Perceivable sensory irritation, however, occurs at 1.0 ppm in air, 500 times that of the odor threshold (EPA 1999. Cited from “Toxicology Profile for Chlorine”, ASTDR, USDHHS, September 2007). Taken from http://www.infectioncontroltoday.com...ach-odors.aspx

A Risk Assessment Report (RAR) conducted by the European Union on sodium hypochlorite conducted under Regulation EEC 793/93 concluded that this substance is safe for the environment in all its current, normal uses.[26] This is due to its high reactivity and instability. Disappearance of hypochlorite is practically immediate in the natural aquatic environment, reaching in a short time concentration as low as 10−22 μg/L or less in all emission scenarios. In addition, it was found that while volatile chlorine species may be relevant in some indoor scenarios, they have negligible impact in open environmental conditions. Further, the role of hypochlorite pollution is assumed as negligible in soils. Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleach
    Your question was why did the smell linger for so long. My point, which is now in bold in the quoted text, is the smell only means the area has been disinfected (which is why we use bleach in our aquariums in the first place, to disinfect) and under normal usage it is safe to use.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just got all my supplies and I found that amazon.com and ebay had a lot of steals on supplies if you browse through them places you can get some real bargains on new equipment to go with your tank. for example I paid $60.00 less for my canister filter than i saw it anywhere else on amazon.

If you let ppl Know about where you are living there are plenty of forum members that maybe some are close to you and can help you out to get you going

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia16 View Post
    Yes :) so I'm learning to think in liters re tanks. Thanks for the recommendations for the other fish.

At this point I feel like I'm going in circles and wondering if I've set my budget correctly. I thought if I bought used I could get something very simple set up correctly with a fish and few shrimp + plants for 100 euros, but I'm starting to wonder! There are cheap cheap tanks to be found but only the tank itself, or there are nicer tanks that have a lot of the other necessary supplies but are still missing something I need (light source for plants, decent filter, etc) *or* they come with fish and seem a bit overstocked.

Thanks again!
    My Aquarium Journal
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...=1#post1186825

4 Spotted Corys
    2 Peppered Corys
    3 Super Red Plecos
    10 Ghost Shrimp
    9 Black Skirt Tetra
    5 Long Fin Black Skirt Tetra
    6 Mickey Mouse Play
    1 Assassin Snail

75 Gal Planted tank 65% stocked

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks again - I promise I will remember to cycle the tank!

I'm in France and have been looking on the craigslist equivalent called Leboncoin and still haven't really managed to come up with a solid plan. There seems to be a nice setup of an 100L tank with a Fluval U4 filter (looks very clean, seems well maintained, and does not come with random ugly accessories) but it does come with 8 goldfish that appear to be growing at a fast pace, lol. And it's not exactly next door...

Awards Showcase

Happy Anniversary. - Strider199 <3 - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For being the 1500th poster to my thread!..thanks! - Slaphppy7 For the safe arrival of Judi's Discus!! - steeler1 
    Thanks for all your help - JoeH Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Image - Welcome wave.gif to the AC! We are a lively (and very knowledgeable) bunch!!!
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - 10 Gold Pristella Tetras, 4 Scissortail Rasboras, 9 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, 5 Longfin Zebra Danios and 2 Regular Fin
    My Dual 29 gals, a work in progress - Tank 1 - Amano Shrimp, Peppered Cories, Tank 2 - Glowlight Danios and a Calico BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    well something else to look at as you get your research together is you want a filter that is rated for twice the aquarium size you have. for example my 75 gal aquarium i needed at least a 150 gal filter and i got me a 160 gallon. it is important because that will help keep yer fish healthy and happy
    My Aquarium Journal
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...=1#post1186825

4 Spotted Corys
    2 Peppered Corys
    3 Super Red Plecos
    10 Ghost Shrimp
    9 Black Skirt Tetra
    5 Long Fin Black Skirt Tetra
    6 Mickey Mouse Play
    1 Assassin Snail

75 Gal Planted tank 65% stocked