· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please help

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus Happy Birthday. - gadget228 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

2 Not allowed!
    On your particular filter the bio-wheel is where the majority of the bacteria is growing. The filters with bio-wheels are designed so you can throw away the carbon cartridges and not lose to much of your bio-filter.

You want to use Prime, or any conditioner that neutralizes chloramines, every water change. A good conditioner like Prime is all I usually recommend adding to the tank water. Unless there are unusual circumstances it is all you will need and it doesn't seem like there is anything unusual going on with your tank.

From here you should wait until you are certain your tank is cycled before adding more fish. Give it a week or two, testing every day.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    WOW you guys are awesome..... Since using the prime, this is the second day I've tested and everything is at 0, before using prime I used a similar product from API, I clean my tank with one of those Python hoses which are AMAZING and I drip in about 10 drops of conditioner while the water is being added. Regardless the fish are looking happy today which is making me happy and a buddy of mine who has a 200gallon tank is giving me some of his media from his pristine discus tank to help out the process.... Again I will monitor on a daily basis and change water when the numbers go up. Again you guys ROCK! Should I swap out my bio wheel to a more conventional filter or is this ok???

3. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clamantha View Post
    WOW you guys are awesome..... Since using the prime, this is the second day I've tested and everything is at 0,

Prime is a great water conditioner but don't get confused by what it does. Yes, it can TEMPORARILY neurtalize the ammonia but there is no substitute for water changes. Prime's primary purpose is to remove chlorine and chloromines from tap water so they don't kill your fish. This is key: When you test your water you should do it before you add Prime and before your water change. That will be a truer test of what your readings are. Wait at least 24 hours after a water change using Prime to do your testing.

I drip in about 10 drops of conditioner while the water is being added. 10 drops is not nearly enough for a 30 gallon tank. Every time you do a water change, use whatever amount is says to use for the entire 30 gallons (I think it's a capful for 30 gal) - even if you only removed 10 gallons of water. VERY IMPORTANT to do that.

Regardless the fish are looking happy today which is making me happy and a buddy of mine who has a 200gallon tank is giving me some of his media from his pristine discus tank to help out the process.... Again I will monitor on a daily basis and change water when the numbers go up. Again you guys ROCK! Should I swap out my bio wheel to a more conventional filter or is this ok???
    Your bio wheel should be okay as long as it's large enough to filter 60 gallons. You want at least 2X the filtering capacity as the size of your 30 gal tank.

Keep checking your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates - again test 24 hours after your last water change - to make sure you're getting accurate levels. If ammonia and or nitrites get close to .50ppm or nitrates get close to 20 ppm, you need to do an immediate 50% water change. Once your tank is fully cycled you should always show 0 ammonia and nitrites. Hope all that made sense.
    Last edited by fishmommie; 12-03-2013 at 11:22 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus Happy Birthday. - gadget228 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

1 Not allowed!
    Prime does not remove ammonia, it neutralizes it for up to 48 hours. In a cycled tank that is long enough for the bacteria in the filter to convert the ammonia. This is important to know in an uncycled tank because if you don't do water changes at least every other day the Prime "wears off" and the ammonia levels could become deadly again. This is why it is important to test daily while cycling a tank.

I personally don't like the bio-wheel filters because they can be loud and changing cartridges can be expensive, but they aren't bad filters. If it were my tank I would put a small canister filter on it, Rena, Fluval, and Eheim are all good brands. I like canisters because they are dead quiet and hold a lot of media which next to never needs to be replaced. If you choose to get a new filter, run the old one and the new one on the tank for at least 4-6 weeks simultaneously to ensure the new one is cycled.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

0 Not allowed!
    Just as Mommy said, canisters are a good bet and and can last decades (Eheim). Large baskets allow you to place the media you want or need and also allow for an inline heater ($60 for 300 watt) so there's nothing showing in your tank other than your your stock. I run an Eheim G160 Pro on my freshwater 75 and a Eheim Pro 3 XL on my 150 marine. I also am not a big fan of "cartridge" filter systems and much prefer the AquaClear brand where you fill the filtration area, once again, with what you want or need. No replacement, rinse and reuse your sponge and media. I use the 20 (2 X capacity) on my 10 gallon Beta tank. Good luck and keep up the water changes!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life is tough, it's even tougher if your stupid.

If your not angry, your not paying attention...

150G FWLR (Morays) 75G Fresh (Assrtd) 24G Cube (Reef/Goby) 10G Fresh (Beta)

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This is day 3 and ammonia is .25 everything else is good. I did a 30% water change and will test again tomorrow. I'm going to buy a new filter im skeptical on this biowheel. Now how do I introduce a new filter PROPERLY without killing what little bacteria I have?

0 Not allowed!
    you can let them run side by side for a few weeks, or if you are impatient you can take the old bio-wheel,
    remove all its media, and scrub and squeeze the media as vigorously as you can into the tank. then you just run the new filter, which will
    pick up all the bacteria that has been discharged into the water.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    If you choose to get a new filter, run the old one and the new one on the tank for at least 4-6 weeks simultaneously to ensure the new one is cycled.
    I'm not fond of the bio-wheel filters either. They aren't bad filters, but there are better ones out there.

Awards Showcase

Happy Anniversary. - Strider199 <3 - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For being the 1500th poster to my thread!..thanks! - Slaphppy7 For the safe arrival of Judi's Discus!! - steeler1 
    Thanks for all your help - JoeH Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    I have 2 AquaClear 110s on my 75 gal. They are very easy to maintain and are a great workhorse of a filter. For your 30 gal, I would get an AC70. Run it alongside your Penguin for about 4-5 weeks, then remove the biowheel filter. Buy extra biomedia (I use Fluval biomax - http://usa.hagen.com/Aquatic/Media-I...External/A1456 and load the media basket with the sponge first, then the biomax up to the water level in the filter when it's running (no bio media should be out of the water).
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - 10 Gold Pristella Tetras, 4 Scissortail Rasboras, 9 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, 5 Longfin Zebra Danios and 2 Regular Fin
    My Dual 29 gals, a work in progress - Tank 1 - Amano Shrimp, Peppered Cories, Tank 2 - Glowlight Danios and a Calico BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    An Aquaclear will come with a sponge, carbon bag and biomax. Unless you are trying to remove medications or other chemicals from your tank, you really don't need the carbon. I would replace the carbon with a second bag of biomax beads. Both bags should go on top of the sponge, and the water should flow over the top of the highest bag.

You won't lose any bacteria if you run your cycled filter (biowheel) simultaneously with the new Aquaclear, giving the new filter a chance to grow its own bacteria. Once the new filter has grown its own colony, you can remove the biowheel filter.

I would then recommend putting a prefilter sponge over the intake tube to help catch additional debri and keep your filter's main media cleaner, longer. You can rinse out this prefilter when you rinse the rest of your filter media.

I like the Aquaclear HOBS. The bigger ones can sometimes be noisy, but not enough to be annoying. Often, they are completely silent.
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.