· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help

1. Default Please help

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, I bought a 30 gallon tank 7 weeks ago, and didn't think there was this much work and knowledge in this hobby. Now that I am heavily invested I've hit a brick wall... This is my story please help..... Bought a tank and went fishless for 4 weeks, I added 7 rummy nose tetras and nothing else 3 weeks later and my nitrites are through the roof. I have a penguin 250 bio wheel filter, I used bacteria from a bottle but at one point after a month I changed the grungy brown filter for a new one "not the biowheel" I been testing religiously with an api liquid kit and all was fine till last week when my nitrites were off the chart everything else was good. I did a 30% water change 3 times a day for 3 days and the nitrites went down but it was still purple .25 to .50 after much reading on the internet I bought a product called "PRIME" from a company called Seachem. Low and behold a half hour later NO NITRITE......
    Now my question is what do I do from here? I don't want to be reliant on chemicles and I have absoloutly no idea if my tank has cycled yet. My course of action would be to replace 20% of the water every second day, but should I keep using prime??? will it affect my fish or bacteria colony or lack thereof??? Everything I read on the net is contradicting and all I want to do is get this thing established so I could enjoy watching the fish instead of torturing them..... please and thanks to any responses...

0 Not allowed!
    do you still have the tetras?
    what is the new filter model?
    how exactly did you cycle the tank?
    did you throw away all the old filter media(the stuff inside the filter)?
    having this information will help members here in helping you.

oh, and welcome to the forum.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    do you still have the tetras?
    what is the new filter model?
    how exactly did you cycle the tank?
    did you throw away all the old filter media(the stuff inside the filter)?
    having this information will help members here in helping you.

oh, and welcome to the forum.
    See that's my problem I didn't use anything to cycle my tank but my tetras and some bacteria in a jar from API. I have a biowheel with a plastic insert with carbon in it and a blue felt like cover and yes I threw it away. I'm NOT liking this biowheel I might buy another filter. Also a friend of mine whom I phoned tonight has a 200 gallon saltwater setup and a 150 gallon discus tank that is impeccable, he said he'd give me some of the media from his discus tank, I might try that... Basically I started wrong and in the dark and now im trying to fix my mess.... and thanks for having me, I've been trolling for a while and decided to join somewhere to get more info.

0 Not allowed!
    By throwing away your filter media, you have essentially thrown away whatever bacteria you may have accumulated. Once you get a generous portion of bacteria from your friend, make sure you have fish in the tank immediately. The bacteria will starve without fish waste. BActeria in a bottle products are fairly dubious in regards to their success. Some people say they work, others don't. I would not recommend using them, and you certainly will no longer have any reason to once you've got a good squeezing from an old sponge from your friends filter.

2 Not allowed!
    Prior to using the Prime, what did you use to dechlorinate your new water?

Going fishless without adding any ammonia won't create a fishless cycle for you. Is that what you were trying to do when you went fishless at first? A fishless cycle requires you adding the ammonia because there are no fish present to naturally provide it.

Now that you've had fish for awhile, they will naturally provide the ammonia that will feed your bacteria, then the nitrites should follow, and after them, nitrates. Your tank is cycled when your ammonia reads 0, your nitrites read 0 and your nitrates are between 0 and 20. Trates shouldn't be allowed to exceed 20 ppm.

Don't throw away used filter media. If a sponge eventually clogs to the point where your filter won't flow vigorously anymore, even after you've cleaned it, then and only then should the sponge be replaced, but leave the biobeads alone. It will take a very long time for your sponge to become that clogged. Just because it looks grungy doesn't mean it's clogged. All you need to do is rinse it out in tank water (removed from the tank), then put it right back into your filter. I had a sponge in my Aquaclear for over two years, and only had to replace it after the basket kept rising because it finally lost its porosity.

Since you aren't happy with the biowheel, I would suggest getting an Aquaclear HOB -- an AC70 for a 30-gallon tank. There are no biowheels in them, and they are easier to work with. They have a flow control valve that lets you adjust the current, somewhat.

Hope this helps.
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

6. Default

1 Not allowed!
    + to all the above. without ammonia, you did not fishless cycle. bacteria in a bottle is a no go. And yes, you lost all of your Beneficial Bacteria when you pitched your filter media. Never toss it. I've had my same media for over 2 years and figure it will go another 2 or more. If you MUST clean it, rinse i gently in water you've removed from the tank. Never use tap water.
    As soon as you get the media from your friend, you should be fine.
    In the meantime, you need to be doing water changes any day that your ammonia and or nitrites approach .50ppm or nitrates exceed 30ppm. do at least a 50% water change and a4 ll should be well.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    When us experienced fishkeepers add water to the tank we use a dedicated aquarium bucket and add prime to that before it goes into the tank.

Now, where you from here is that you probably discover you want another filter... after that a few more fish.... then some more plants... then a second small tank on craigslist....

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for your replies, like I said I went into this blind because my 7 year old thought it would be a good idea. The biowheel is still there and going now is that my media? Or is it the thin cartridge in the back with the carbon? To change water I use a hose attached directly to my sink and I drop in some chrorine neutralizer but I think the prime does that as well. Ah well, I wish I could house the fish elsewhere and start from scratch.... Cheers.

0 Not allowed!
    Prime takes care of the water - it needs to be added to the tank before you put new water in - there is no need to house fish somewhere else and start from scratch - you can keep the fish in there and just monitor your water parameters - keep changing your water when needed (to keep the ammonia down to no higher than a reading of .25ppm) and it will eventually cycle.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clamantha View Post
    The biowheel is still there and going now is that my media? Or is it the thin cartridge in the back with the carbon?
    Your media is everything that's inside of your filter. The foam, or sponge, is mechanical media. Beneficial bacteria grows on it as well as on your biobeads. The foam filters out physical debris.

Your carbon is chemical filtration. It filters out medications and other chemicals you might put into your tank, which could become toxic if they build up.

Your biobeads are specifically for biological filtration. They provide the surface on which your beneficial bacteria can grow. However, they aren't the ONLY surface on which it grows. Your beneficial bacteria grows throughout your filter, and inside your tank, as well.

All the material inside your filter is its media.
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.