· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh, that worries me. I was originally thinking of getting one- the rams won't be the only ones in the tank. Will the GBR get nasty towards other fish if there is only one of them and it's male?

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    My Rams got along well with everything in the tank.
    What the above posts were referring too (I think), where having a pair of Rams in the same tank that were not paired naturally and thrown together. A single male ram will take well to a community tank of smaller fish.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Not to other fish, to each other
    Check out my 55 Gallon, planted, Philly themed community tank! Rummynose and Cardinals, dwarf cichlids, plecos, shrimps

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Strider199 View Post
    A single male ram will take well to a community tank of smaller fish.
    Agreed. A male ram by himself may not show full breeding colors, but is still an interesting and colorful fish to keep.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

1 Not allowed!
    Just tossing in my $.02, I just sold my 4 GBRs... miss them already. But enough about me...

1. The rams will most likely be the bosses of the tank, nothing bad, but will control their own personal space and not get pushed around by others
    2. Your water seems ok, again, check into the higher nitrates... I'd say try tossing in a floating plant if you can't reduce them
    3. You could buy 4 small rams, wait for them to pair and return 2 to the store or sell them... just make sure you have a plan for the other 2 before buying any
    4. Make sure you get them from a good source, they are a bit over bred and with that can be weakened. If you are willing to buy online, i recommend lotsoffish on aquabid, the guy has high quality and breeding fish is his life and passion

Good luck with them, don't be too worried, while some can be fragile, they are a pretty easy fish to keep (especially for someone that takes the time to get on an aquarium forum )

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks everyone.

I think I will return to my original plan of having just the one- Being that it is my first step into a more "intermediate" breed of fish, I don't want any of my little guys to be unhappy in the tank.

I am trying to do my best to thoroughly research everything before moving ahead- :) Even when i am prepared, it's possible that there will be no GBRs at the local fish store. LOL. One step at a time, right?
    Who Rescued Who?

Don't shop; Adopt!
    --FISH ARE FRIENDS NOT FOOD--

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Misse View Post
    I am trying to do my best to thoroughly research everything before moving ahead- :) Even when i am prepared, it's possible that there will be no GBRs at the local fish store. LOL. One step at a time, right?
    Right, exactly. If you're happy with a male ram, then I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work out assuming you keep the water quality up and maintain a steady water temperature between 80 - 82 degrees f. Rams need about the same temperature and water quality as discus to do well.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That "one step at a time" is very true-

One of my cardinals in the tank i'm preparing for the ram has become ill with what looks to be a parasite. Now i am set back in my course of getting a GBR and I have to attend to the needs of the fish already there-
    Who Rescued Who?

Don't shop; Adopt!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm so sorry to hear that. That stinks. For your sake let's hope it's not a parasite so you don't have to go through that whole process.

Best of luck.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks
    I have already taken out the carbon, done a water change and treated the tank with Prazi Pro.
    The fish with the parasites on his body has died but another is very bloated- it could be internal parasites. I am very sad for the loss of my cardinal but at the same time i am so grateful for everyone on this site for really helping me.

Is there more to the process of getting rid of parasites than the medication? Will i need to rebuild my carefully built tank? That would be like being kicked in the stomach-
    Who Rescued Who?

Don't shop; Adopt!