· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default German Blue Ram- is my water chemistry safe?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi

I've asked a few different questions recently and I hope that this is the right place to post regarding my specific tank's water chemistry and how it relates to German Blue Rams specifically.

My water chemistry is

pH:6.5
    Ammonia:0
    Nitrite:0
    Nitrate:20
    KH:40
    GH:30

Should I continue to work to ready my tank for a GBR or should I choose another fish to add to my aquarium? My tank is ready in all ways that I can control, but I don't want to be fighting my tap water's chemistry. Are the above KH, GH and pH safe for a GBR?

Thanks for your time.
    Who Rescued Who?

Don't shop; Adopt!
    --FISH ARE FRIENDS NOT FOOD--

0 Not allowed!
    That is a pretty good pH and hardness for keeping rams. Your nitrate is fairly high though, and you haven't mentioned temperature.
    If you can keep your nitrates around 10 ppm and the temperature at around 80 F or 26C then you could likely keep rams.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Apologies for not mentioning the temperature. It is 79 degrees.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would only add that rams like a mature tank. I'd wait at least 3 months if this is a fairly new tank. 6 would be even better. But you could get luck and they'll be fine if you add them now. Just be aware that they are sensitive
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What size tank? A pair would be fine for 20 gallon with hiding spots. Be careful with too many males, especially if only a single female because they can be pretty mean to her and eachother.
    Check out my 55 Gallon, planted, Philly themed community tank! Rummynose and Cardinals, dwarf cichlids, plecos, shrimps

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's a 30gallon tank-
    The tank has been operating since just over a year or so- but i just had to empty it out to change the substrate from gravel to sand. I didn't wash anything except to get the algae off where it had become a bit hardened- i needed to leave the algae for my ottos.

The highest number of GBR i would add is two i think, now that i have researched it even more. I would get a male and a female. I am not planning to buy them until January or until the nitrates disappear in case that takes longer.
    Who Rescued Who?

Don't shop; Adopt!
    --FISH ARE FRIENDS NOT FOOD--

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just a word of advice, you should do the best you can to make sure you snag a bonded pair.

If you throw a male/female combo together that hasn't bonded there could still be aggression issues in a tank that's 30 gallons.

I have a larger tank and had thrown two GBR in together. There was some serious aggression until I was fortunate enough for the pair to bond. But if I had bought them bonded from my LFS life would have been a lot easier. And I was very lucky they bonded because if they hadn't I'm fairly sure the male would have harassed the female to death.

The water conditions seem fine for the most part. On the advice of my LFS I bumped up my pH from 6.4 to 6.8 (Very slowly of course) and it honestly did seem to bring out their colors a little bit more. I'm usually not a huge fanatic on pH but in this case they seemed to appreciate the minor boost -- though I don't think it necessary.

EDIT: Oh yes and good luck with the fish. They really do have a lot of personality and their colors are fantastic.
    Last edited by CowPuppet; 12-05-2013 at 06:04 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Misse View Post
    It's a 30gallon tank- I am not planning to buy them until January or until the nitrates disappear in case that takes longer.
    The nitrates are reduced by weekly water changes. They will not disappear just over time. They will start to rise each week and are managed through changing water. Live plants also help keep nitrates lower.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The water changes are no problem- i am already doing them. :) And there are live plants in the tank.
    I think i have a pretty good system in place- i have the water changes planned into each week.
    Last edited by Misse; 12-05-2013 at 02:59 PM.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hopefully lfs has a lot of rams in tank. Sometimes you can observe and see if they bonded ready. If you're cool with manager, see if you can get a male and 2-3 females temporarily. If make bonds, remove the other two and return to store. Otherwise they can get pretty nasty. Good luck!!
    Check out my 55 Gallon, planted, Philly themed community tank! Rummynose and Cardinals, dwarf cichlids, plecos, shrimps