· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Question 15 gallon with cichlids?

0 Not allowed!
    Hello!
    I would love to keep cichlids, however due to my current circumstances I can only keep a 15 gallon long. Is it plausible to keep any species of cichlids in such a small aquarium? This may be a ridiculous question but I am very new to cichlids so please be considerate. Could I perhaps stock my aquarium with Kribenisis, Apistogramma or another form of 'Dwarf Cichlids'? I have heard that shell dwelling cichlids are the best choice for smaller aquariums, however none of my local pet shops stock them, and I would rather not have them shipped. I may be able to upgrade to a 20 if I must.

Here is some more information about my situation:

Filtration: I have a Aquaclear 30 from an old aquarium, and I plan to use the following filter media in this order:
    course sponge
    filter wool
    ceramic biological media

Water perimeters:
    Ph: Alkaline 7.0 - 7.5 (It may in fact be higher, however my testing kit does not have a higher result.)
    It's interesting though because I used to keep Neon Tetras and they seemed to be in perfect condition.

I plan to do regular water changes of 15-20% weekly.
    This is also my first planted tank, as I used to keep a few live plants but never a fully planted aquarium.

Thank you! If you would prefer to know more about the supplies I own, or anything else feel free to ask.

- Ivy
    -Ivy
    Any time any person tells me they own fish, I automatically ask them a barrage of questions. "Please tell me it is not a bowl." Do you know what the Nitrogen Cycle is?" "Do you have a filter? What kind?" "How often do you replace water?" "How many fish do you have?" etc etc. Then I continue a discussion for about 20 more minutes before I realize I tend to be the only person that cares.

15 gallon long: One betta fish. Still working on it. Will be a planted aquarium.

1 Not allowed!
    your water is not ideal for most apistogramma except for some of the most common farm raised ones, like Agassizi or cacatuoides.
    kribs and bolivian rams get too big for a 15 gallon.
    some apistos and the blue ram will not appreciate the lower temperatures required by neon tetras.
    shell dwelling cichlids will dig, and your plants will go flying all over the place. they also are the most aggressive of all cichlids you have listed and will likely attack the neon tetras.
    some cichlids which I personally believe will fit as a lone individual in your 15(or much better, 20) gallon tank are
    - apisto agassizi or cacatuoides
    - laetacara curviceps or dorsigera
    - nannacara anomala
    all of these dwarv species are considered beginner species or starter species for dwarf cichlids in general, and are all generally peaceful to non-cichlid tankmates, remain quite small and are tolerant of harder water
    than most other dwarfs.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for your information. I don't actually have my tank set up fully yet, and I don't have any neon tetras anymore(sorry for the mixup) :)
    -Ivy
    Any time any person tells me they own fish, I automatically ask them a barrage of questions. "Please tell me it is not a bowl." Do you know what the Nitrogen Cycle is?" "Do you have a filter? What kind?" "How often do you replace water?" "How many fish do you have?" etc etc. Then I continue a discussion for about 20 more minutes before I realize I tend to be the only person that cares.

15 gallon long: One betta fish. Still working on it. Will be a planted aquarium.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    sounds like you have a good handle on things now thanks to madagascarienes
    the only thing I would add is to increase your weekly W/C to around 40 - 50%. smaller tanks can develop issues faster than larger tanks as there is much less water mass to spread out toxins.
    Most here actually make 50% W/C on all their tanks weekly.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted:severum, EBJD, congos, royal pleco
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Find out the water hardness. If that's not too high then you could certainly keep a pair of apistogramma in a 15g.