· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Potential tank mates for Rams

0 Not allowed!
    I am new to Aquariums and decided on Rams as my fish of choice for my tank, but the tank is a bit lackluster to my liking and I am currently trying to figure out what Tank mates I can add in with my Rams.

Currently in the tank:
    1x German Blue Ram (looks to be Female)
    No picture at this time, very active fish and doesn't seem to stop moving.
    1x Golden Ram (looks to be Male)
    1x Banjo Catfish
    Adding 1-2 more of each of the Rams this weekend

Gold.jpg

Looking to fill the tank out with some other fish. Any good suggestions on tank mates?
    From what I have read some of the tank mates I have come across are Tetas, Angels, Rasboras, and cant remember the rest. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, I am sifting through forum posts and reading up as much as I can but sometimes its easier to just ask for the information.
    Last edited by Shadow1701; 11-29-2013 at 06:18 AM.

2. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I'm assuming this is the 45 gal tank you have in your profile? My suggestions would be to add one angelfish and a school of either Roberts tetras ((Hyphessobrycon bentosi) or lemon tetras (Hyphessobrycon pulchripinnis). These tetras should be peaceful enough not to nip the angel and large enough not to be eaten by the angel. Very pretty fish also and would occupy different level of the tank from the rams.

3. Default

1 Not allowed!
    very good choices rec'd by Sue D. Another choice would be in addition to the single angel, a group of 7 or 8 Colombian Tetras (aka red and blue) Very nice fish who shoal loosely, are not nippy and are hardy and quite pretty.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    @SueD - Yes its the tank on my profile, would a pair of Angels be a good number? I like the look of the Lemon Tetras, I have Black Gravel so the Yellow would stand out quite well. As for the Angels, what would you recommend? basically anything that I find beautiful and eye grabbing?
    I was also thinking about Cardinal Tetras (Paracheirodon axelrodi) with the Blue and Red, and the Dawn Tetra (Aphyocharax paraguayensis) that I found looks neat too.

5. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Generally speaking, unless you can find a mated pair (not impossible but you'd have to shop around breeders who can guarantee sending you a mated pair) a single angel is much better. Unless mated, angels will fight. And a mated pair will get very cranky with all other fish in the tank if they are protecting a nest and eggs. Only if you have a tank large enough for several (as in 5 - 7) could you get by with more than one, but your tank is not large enough.

Your single angel will get quite large. What you have to keep in mind is adding tetra that are large enough that they won't get eaten when the angel reaches maturity. Cardinals might work if they grow up together but it's iffy.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok one Angel will be fine, kinda like a centerpiece in the tank. Should I try to get this Angel as small as I can find? to give it a longer span in the tank and maybe have much better time with it not eating the other fish :P

Im still shopping around for the Tetras I want, just want something schooling around the tank in a group. Anything else that would be good for this, something that will swim around the top since the Angel will have the middle and the Rams the bottom. Also does anyone have any information on if I can put more Banjos in the tank? I havent found anything saying I can or cant do it.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hatchetfish will stay near the top. Try marble hatchetfish, perhaps, they stay smaller and they're pretty. They'll stick right to the top, they just tend to jump if you don't block up the lid really well.
    I'm pretty sure you can put more banjos in, from the research I did a while ago. I'm curious, do you see the banjo much? I've read that they really prefer to just burrow a lot and in fact can get stressed if they don't get the chance to do so.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They do say that the Banjo likes to bury itself in sand and would be very happy this way. But i have a Gravel substrate, which doesnt allow him the luxury of burying himself. he seems happy though, swims around the tank at night and hides under cover during the day. he likes to play with the Rams sometimes too, ive seen him interact with them around food and such.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Was finally able to catch a picture of my blue, she calmed down enough. sorry for the bad quality, only have my camera phone right now.
    Blue1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Shadow1701; 11-30-2013 at 12:05 PM.