· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Is cycling required using the API Filstar XP-M on my 29 gallon tank?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi All,
    I've been "fishless cycling" my 29 gallon for the last 15/20 days. I have artificial plants and gravel. Hardware: currently using the Aqueon Quietflow 30 Power Filter; Aqueon 100w Tube Submersible Heater; Topfin Air 2000 air pump.
    I also have a 10 gallon aquarium housing pretty much the same hardware suitable for that tank. I have in the 10 gallon tank 4 Tiger Barbs and 1 Common Plec. I "was" cycling the 29 gallon to rehome the Barbs & plec until I met a very friendly African Cichlid at my local pet store!

Back to cycling, current readings last 3/4 days:

Sunday 11/24 8am; Ammonia .25ppm; Nitrite .50; Nitrate 5ppm; Temp 78; PH 7.8 (water typically hard here); added 4 ml 10% Ammonia-retested 30 mins later; Ammonia 4ppm
    Monday 11/25 4pm; Ammonia .50ppm; Nitrite 5ppm; Nitrate 5ppm
    Tuesday 11/26 4pm; Ammonia .25ppm; Nitrite 5ppm; Nitrate 5ppm
    Wed 11/27 4pm; Ammonia 0.0ppm; Nitrite 2ppm; Nitrate 5/10ppm

As stated earlier I have strong considerations of converting the 29gallon to a Cichlid only tank. Plans are to change the décor to sand and rocks similar to Lake Malawi and the Cichlids I researched. I also purchased and received today the API Filstar XP-M (75gal tank) Canister Filter. My biggest question is will I still need to cycle the 29 gallon tank if I use the canister filter with it's biological features? If so can I introduce it in the middle of this cycle (I reckon so but may set me back on schedule)? I feel I need to change everything (artificial plants to rocks; gravel to sand etc.) now to have setup for bacteria to cling to and keep tank cycled? Again wondering if I need be concerned with that using the canister? Your thoughts please...I know I've presented a lot and I do plan to keep the barbs/plec in the 10 until I can rehome the plec.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

1 Not allowed!
    You always need to cycle a filter. You can add the new filter along with the older filter. This wont harm the process at all but will allow both tanks to cycle.

On that note. Most mbuna wont fit in a 29g tank. I think even peacocks would be crammed. If you did shell dwelling cichlids that would be a different story.

Also a 10g is too small for tbs, and definatly to small for a common pleco... That thing will get GIANT!
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks! I was kinda upset with PetSmart for selling me the common plec after informing them my tank size. When I returned weeks later the response was take it to Petco as it will grow to 24 inches! The smaller variety of Cichlids is what I was considering but I have to move in the spring so I guess I'll wait and do a 60/75 gal for the Cichlids and use the 29 as a community tank.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    You should look up a thread titled what not to expect from your lfs. Ladyhobbs did a great job on it. Basically go to a store to browse, take notes on the fish you like, go home and research them with your tank size ect. If they are really what you like then go back and buy them. Leave the spur of the moment buys until you have a good idea of the fish your looking at. Like i went to petco to just look and get a new thermometer. Ended up with 3 bn plecos lol. Couldnt resist. But i know how big bns get and i have a home for them when they leave qt. Soon youll start to learn general truths about species of fish and their relatives...
    Last edited by genocidex; 11-28-2013 at 09:36 AM.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!