· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: What Mbunas?

1. Default What Mbunas?

0 Not allowed!
    This is has been hard trying to figure out which ones to put in my tank. Petsmart is probably where I will end up getting them. My buddy who know the LFS real well won't buy fish from there because he always ends up with problems. When I have taken fish there they just dump them in the tanks. so that's a no go!!

Petco is also a no go every fish I have got from there always end up having ick. All the fish I have now are from petsmart and they seem to be the best fish I have gotten so they are my buying spot. They don't have a big selection but mostly bumble bees, Kanyis electric yellows and red zebras.

I want to do five of three groups total of 15 cichlid. Juvenile are the lowest price but you don't know what your getting as in male to female or all of one or the other. Then the price goes up to $10 each for the older ones.

I do know about cross breeding and also don't want that to happen but might be a chance i'll have to take. since I might not be able to get all males.

So out of those choices which was do you think I should go?
    I also like the shipping method but shipping cost is also a little pricy since Christmas is coming up and need to spend there also.

O yeah cichlid salt or aquarium salt?

Thanks Dean.
    Last edited by Freashfish; 11-28-2013 at 12:53 AM.
    55 gal community tank
    10 gal Qt tank
    10 gal going to be neon tank are nano still deciding
    55 gal African cichlid tank in cycling stage.

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    A 55 limits your stocking options to smaller/less aggressive species, not enough space for most peacocks and probably half the mbuna. Bumblebee, kenyi, and red zebra are all unsuitable for anything smaller than a 75 when they mature. Juvies would be fine, but sooner or later they'll start killing each other. The electric yellows are less trouble, and you could mix a group of 5 of those with a larger group 10-12 demasoni for an active mix of blue and yellow fish. In any case, it's better to research your options thoroughly and spend a little more for shipping and quality stock than to buy less expensive (and less suitable) fish) to save $ in the short term
    Salt of either type isn't necessary, no FW fish need "aquarium salt" unless they naturally live in brackish water or you're treating for Ich. The "cichlid salts" are something entirely different, maybe useful if you're stocking wild-caught imported fish, but basically worthless for most domestic bred/raised stock. Hard, alkaline water conditions can easily be maintained with coral and/or baking soda to buffer the water.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    Todd knows well. Petsmart mbunas tend to be mut blends and are unreliable at best. I like the look of rusties and yellow labs. I know there used to be a breeder on here that was willing to sell me some for a great deal.... ended up going with a planted 55 instead of mbuna. Also be sure to have extra filteration as you will need to push the stocking limit in that tank
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This is what I was going by on a cichlid forum.
    Select any 3 species (max 12 fishes):
    • Metriaclima estherae
    • Pseudotropheus saulosi
    • Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei"
    • Labidochromis sp. "Hongi"
    • Labidochromis caeruleus
    • Labidochromis sp. "Perlmutt"
    • Labidochromis chisimulae
    • Iodotropheus sprengerae
    • Cynotilapia afra
    Do not mix any Labidochromis species.

So none of these would work together?
    55 gal community tank
    10 gal Qt tank

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    I think i was planning on the acei, rusty, yellow lab. 5 of each. That seems like a good combo for start. And it will push ur stocking so get good filters
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by genocidex View Post
    I think i was planning on the acei, rusty, yellow lab. 5 of each. That seems like a good combo for start. And it will push ur stocking so get good filters
    Those sound good to me if I can find them local . I also have two pengiun 350 bio wheels with two wave makers to push debris around the rocks.

Awards Showcase

Great addition to AC - Lady Hobbs Perhaps a beer instead? - Lady Hobbs NICE TANK! - Lady Hobbs U know your awesome!!!!!! - jbeining75 Very nice rift tank! Very funny jokes! - NickFish 
    Refund lmao!!!!! - jbeining75 thanks for the support - jbeining75 Good luck with the JI!!!!!! - jbeining75 Right back at ya! - Hailey For help with my leopard geckos - jbeining75 
    to me - sailor Your second sets of stripes lol.... - jbeining75 to blow your nose lol..... - jbeining75 I won the lottery,thanks for the help couldn't have done it without you - kitten3326 Because I would buy you a beer if I could. - RainMan 
    For beating back the flu!!!!!!!!! - jbeining75 thanks for cheering me up xoxo - shalafi04 A Cricket and Strawberry slurpee just for you :) - shalafi04 gotta buy a beer for a sailor. LOL - ILuvMyGoldBarb knowledge + friendly = sailor! yar! - turkey151 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - sailor Autism - sailor 

0 Not allowed!
    Before you go and spend good money on fish at any big box store where you are subjected to less than good quality fish, hybrids and mutts,
    see if there are any local aquatic clubs in your area. You might be able to score some better quality fish at cheaper prices.
    Like this one maybe
    http://www.gslas.com/index_2.html
    Sailor

Aye Aye

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the info Sailor!

That club is 4 hours away from me nothing local in this little town. I won't be able to go look at anything until wed. There is another place here I found on face book that deals in SW but also has and can order Cichlids and FW.

They just set up a big tank at the new kids museum. Seen it in the paper and looked them up they sell fish and coral.
    55 gal community tank
    10 gal Qt tank