· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Still arranging my tank to perfection...advise please. :)

0 Not allowed!
    After the initial "fish fever" wore off, I consolidated my 2 tanks into one 20 gal (husband is much happier now). It is a 20 gal tall, with a 20 gal filter, a 10 gal filter, and a 5 gal filter (I have them, why not use them until I get a better one? :))

Artificial plants, gravel base.

I have 12 neons and 7 black phantoms. I'd like some sort of accent fish or one more species. Considering a few things, but open to suggestions.

1 Kribensis
    small school harlequin rasboras
    1 "fancy" platy (not interested in rearing babies)
    1 GBR
    small school panda cories

Others?
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

0 Not allowed!
    Got pics? From personal experience the Krib, being a Cichlid, has a higher probability of killing off your neons and black phantom tetra. Anthing that will fit in their mouths they will most likely try. That said, it can be done, provided they have enough space and places to hide. It is always a chance though. Keep in mind too that the Krib will get to be about 4-5 inches or so.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've recently discovered checkerboard chiclids. If you should end up getting rid of the krib, the checkerboard gets to something like 3 inches and is very, very peaceful. I currently own one, however judging from my research they prefer to be in a group. It's been suggested that I try one male and two females, and my research backs that up. I don't think they'd disagree with the GBR, but a krib would probably kill them.
    Oh, wait, that's a list of ideas. Um... Still, I suggest maybe the checkerboards? Though the panda cories sound like a nice idea... Or the ram. Honestly, most of those sound like a good option, though I agree on maybe not the krib.
    I'd also like to suggest that you try live plants, tetras love them. I'm not saying convert the tank or mess with anything huge... A hunk of Java moss would be great for your tetras and wouldn't need any special lighting, or Java ferns are nice. Just don't plant a Java fern's rhizome in the gravel, they don't like that.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry it wasn't clear...the list are things I am considering, not things I have.

Great advice and ideas so far!
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    One or two Bolivian rams would be an alternate choice to the GBR.

1 Not allowed!
    From the subject I assumed you were looking for layout tips.

Ah well, a 20 tall doesn't offer enough swimming space for a pair of cichlids. The middle water is already full and you got gravel. I'd go for the platy

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Have you seen glo light tetras? They would make really good accents to the neons because their base stripe color is orange. I have some cardinals and glo lights together and they look AMAZING.
    70 Gal Planted Rio Negro Angelfish Biotope with:
    1 Whip Tail Pleco
    7 Hatchet fish
    11 Glo Light tetras, 6 Black Skirted Tetras
    6 Bronze Corys
    3 Wild Type Angelfish
    Current Plants:
    Giant Amazon Sword, Narrow Leaf Java, Val, moss on driftwood

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't add another school to this tank - you already have two and a third would be too much in my opinion. I would like to recommend a group of panda cories or dwarf cories but I would not do this as you have gravel. Why not switch to sand?

If not, go for the single platy - I'm with talldutchie on this one.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What if I add a few RCS (assuming I can find any) and then a single fish...sailfin mollies are quite lovely. Is that too much? I have heard RCS have a small footprint.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Doesn't sound like too much to me! Yes, RCS take up very little fish-space... Most of them is tail muscle. In fact, you can have about a billion little shrimps and they won't increase the stock level too much. There's a point at which they get too crowded, but most LFS will take cherry shrimp and possibly pay you for them.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae