· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Will golden nugget plecos attack twig cats?

0 Not allowed!
    I'm researching various plecos, and I've just read that golden nugget plecos can be aggressive with similar fish. Will they attack twig cats/farowella cats? They're really gorgeous, but if they'll attack twig cats I guess I won't be getting one...
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

Awards Showcase

hope this works - William hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 
    Happy New Year!!! - Rue Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 
    lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 

1 Not allowed!
    I have a gold nugget and a rubbernose pleco in my main tank and they get along just fine. They are not sharing the same algae wafer/cave friendly, but other than defensive stance type behavior I have seen no aggression.

Provided you have enough space for each to have their own territory I'd think you'd be ok.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Alright, thanks! It's a 65 gallon, so there's loads of space. If I can find a nice one, I guess I'll be adding him!
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

1 Not allowed!
    gold nuggets and all plecos in general are not aggressive fish at all. they can get a bit territorial when breeding, but rarely do they ever kill a fish.
    Thar she blows!!!

2 Not allowed!
    Not agressive? One thing my tetras learned very quickly is not to get between a hungry bristlenose and a piece of veg.

Golden nugget is Baryancistrus xanthellus ? Shouldn't be too much of an issue if there's enough place for the farowella to stick higher up in the tank.
    Do read about feeding Baryancistrus properly otherwise it's a 3 month problem followed by a dead fish

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I know they stampede for food... I've seen the little one-inch bristlenoses at feeding time at my LFS, and everything gets outta their way!
    Don't worry, I'm fully researching everything I'm thinking about. This is more my place to post and find answers that are being more elusive...
    I've decided against a gold nugget, though, having read that they prefer fast water. I'm thinking maybe green dragon bristlenose...
    Thanks for the help!

0 Not allowed!
    Twig cats are gentle vegetarians. Have you considered an omnivore like a peckoltia? I'm sure you have but did you check planetcatfish?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hello again Fishkeeper,

In the 65 u should be ok to keep a medium pleco and twig (i had bn pleco at 6" with whiptail and headstander with no aggression issues in 55).

There are 3 types of golden nugget pleco. The L177 is best looking due to large yellow spots vs smaller spots. It stays medium at 6"max vs others like 9 or larger and is omnivore whereas others like meaty foods.

I think I already suggested queen arabesque and king tiger but really there are so many types u may just wait for a cool one to show up at lfs or have them order u one u want. I wouldn't get one that gets big, 6-8"is prob max to be comfortable in 65.

Always like sultan pleco and snowball too. Golden nugget still nicest though.
    Check out my 55 Gallon, planted, Philly themed community tank! Rummynose and Cardinals, dwarf cichlids, plecos, shrimps

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, thanks! I may just end up seeing which suitable pleco pops up at my LFS... A whiptail would also be really cool, or a green phantom (Maybe)... There are far too many good plecos.