· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Dark Eyes???

1. Default Dark Eyes???

0 Not allowed!
    Hello,

I've noticed in the last day or so one of my guppies is not acting normal. He is hiding a lot of the time and his movements seem to be more sluggish. Also I noticed that his eyes have started to become completely black. Any ideas on what is happening???

1 Not allowed!
    Many questions:

What size tank is it in? Any other fish in there with it and how many? How long has this fish been in the tank?
    How often do you change the water in the tank and how much at a time?
    Do you know your water parameters and what they are? If you do, please let us know what your readings are for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates - thanks!
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above. Also, do you have a photo of the fish?
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Its a 10gal tank with 2 other guppies in it (3 total). The pH is 8, ammonia and nitrites 0 and nitrates at about 5. I've had the tank for about 3 months now and I change the water about every two weeks.

I tried a water change and the fish's condition improved for about a day or two. I even though he was back to normal. But last night he went into hiding again and today I found him dead on the bottom by some decorations. :(

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't see anything wrong with the conditions, and I can't think of anything right off... I suppose it could be some sort of parasite, maybe? Have the other fish been bullying him at all? Are the others male, like I'm guessing? And definitely post a picture, if you can... I'd suggest daily water changes, if you can, in case it'll help the other fish. They might not look bad yet, but if it helped the ill one at all it's probably a good plan.
    Oh... Could it be any sort of poison? Is there any way something could have gotten in the tank? Air freshener of any sort, cleaners, paints, anything?
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

0 Not allowed!
    what is the temperature of the tank and, if you can recall, the maturity of the fish when you got it?
    what happened to yours sounds a bit like what happens to my old guppies when they are about to die.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't have a thermometer in the tank but my room temperature ranges from 23 to 27c (74 to 80f) throughout the day. I have no idea exactly how old the fish were when I bought them. But they were definitely adult size. I suppose old age is a possibility but I didn't think the stores would have old fish.

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry to hear of the loss. Keep a close eye on your other fish and keep up with your water changes in case it was anything more suspicious than old age.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~