Aquarium Forum
 


Menu
  · Tropical Fish Home
· Fish News
· Aquarium Forum
· Buy & Sell
· Calculators
· Equipment reviews
· Free Aquarium Ebook
· Feedback
· Link to us
· Photo gallery
· Plant species
· Tropica Plant DB
Tropical fish species
· By Common name
· By Scientific name
Tropical Marine fish
· By Common name
· By Scientific name

_________________
 
      
        Via paypal

  AC news is a part of
      Nature Blog Network

      Reef Aquarium Blog

Privacy & Ad Policy

Articles
  · African Cichlids
· Algae Control
· Aquarium Decoration
· Aquarium Resources
· Aquatic Plants
· Barb Fish
· Betta Fish
· Breeding Fish
· Catfish
· Central American Cichlids
· Cichlids
· Clownfish
· Corals
· Corydoras Catfish
· Discus Fish
· Dwarf Cichlids
· Fish Diseases
· Frogs and Turtles
· Goby Fish
· Goldfish
· Gourami
· Invertebrates
· Jellyfish
· Killiefish
· Lake Victoria Cichlids
· Livebearers
· Malawi Cichlids
· Marine Aquariums
· Marine Aquarium Fish
· Other Fish
· Pleco
· Predatory Fish
· Photography
· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37
  1. Default Tank Setup/Cycling with Fish in Tank


    0 Not allowed!
    Hello,

    I purchased a tank this past weekend off of craigslist. Here's the story:

    She showed up on Saturday, we added new substrate I purchased and washed prior, filled the tank up from my sink, then added the correct amount of stress coat, and put the fish in. On Sunday I purchased my testing kit, and it showed a PH level of 8.4, which apparently is very high. I ran back to the pet store and bought some Proper PH 7.0. I added 7 scoops (1 scoop per 10 gallons; 75 gallons) and went to bed. The next morning the tank was so cloudy I couldn't even see the fish. We had already ordered a new filter bc the one that came with it was very loud and old, but it won't be here until tomorrow. Yesterday evening I decided to clean the old filter out, but when I plugged it back in it finally died, so I went to Walmart and bought another one. I will run both when the new one arrives tomorrow. While at Walmart I purchased some Crystal Clear also. This evening I added 7 more scoops, bc the PH had dropped to 8.0. The bottle says repeat dose after a change in PH of .2. I also added 75 drops of the crystal clear (first application of crystal clear). When the new filter arrives tomorrow (Biowheel Emperor 400) I will set it up as well. My nitrite and nitrate levels are holding at 0ppm. Ammonia is up to 1.0 ppm as of this evening. Temperature is 73 degrees. I have a new gravel hose, and a new heater on the way as well.

    From what I have read it looks like my tank is cycling since we added all new water when she delivered it. A lot of what I've read says cycling with Fish in the tank is dangerous. I don't want to kill any of my fish.... am I doing anything wrong, or should I be doing something else? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

    Also, the PH level of my tap water is 8.4. Do I need to buy a reverse osmosis setup or something similar or is there a better option? Thanks again
    Last edited by shifttofirst; 11-25-2013 at 10:58 PM.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    A little further from sanity
    Posts
    6,615

    Awards Showcase

    No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

    Default


    6 Not allowed!
    First, stop adding all that crap to your tank, you are not doing your fish any good. The only thing you should be adding to your water is a good conditioner to neutralize the chlorine or chloramine in the tap water.

    Second, do a big water change, big enough to bring that ammonia down to around .25ppm. One 75% change or two 50% changes one right after the other should do it.

    Third, read this, http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492 This will tell you how to cycle your tank safely with fish. The only thing I disagree with in that sticky is the temp to keep the tank water, with fish, the mid 70's is best.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.


  3. Default


    4 Not allowed!
    + to Mommy1. Get on those water changes. with a 75 gal, you'd do well to look into a python or aquean water changer. it will eliminate t he bucket work and make the water changes much easier.
    know that once you get your tank cycled, you need to make weekly 50% water changes so this is no plug and play operation :o)

    you didn't mention what kind of fish and how many. if at all possible, I'd return the fish asap and do a fishless cycle. link to fishless cycling is in my signature line.

    good luck.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

  4. #4

    Default


    3 Not allowed!
    +1 with all of the above - messing around with your pH will only stress your fish out - along with the ammonia.

    Water changes are your best friend when cycling with fish in the tank - you should not let your ammonia get much above .25ppm - if it goes higher, you change the water to read the reading back down.

    The cloudiness you saw was a bacterial bloom.

    While cycling, there is no need to touch any media in your filter at all - bacteria need to grow on the media - cleaning it or replacing it will hinder that. Ensure you have enough filtration for double the size of your tank.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

  5. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    First, stop adding all that crap to your tank, you are not doing your fish any good. The only thing you should be adding to your water is a good conditioner to neutralize the chlorine or chloramine in the tap water.

    Second, do a big water change, big enough to bring that ammonia down to around .25ppm. One 75% change or two 50% changes one right after the other should do it.

    Third, read this, http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492 This will tell you how to cycle your tank safely with fish. The only thing I disagree with in that sticky is the temp to keep the tank water, with fish, the mid 70's is best.
    Thank you for these tips. I did two 50% water changes last night. The ammonia level this morning read .25, so I will do another one this evening.

    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    + to Mommy1. Get on those water changes. with a 75 gal, you'd do well to look into a python or aquean water changer. it will eliminate t he bucket work and make the water changes much easier.
    know that once you get your tank cycled, you need to make weekly 50% water changes so this is no plug and play operation :o)

    you didn't mention what kind of fish and how many. if at all possible, I'd return the fish asap and do a fishless cycle. link to fishless cycling is in my signature line.

    good luck.
    Thanks for your reply! I actually got the fish from a lady on craiglist, so I cannot return them. There is an angel fish, 2 goldfish, 3 plocostumus, and another algae sucker, but i don't know what it is. It's very small. One of the goldfish is huge (12") and the other is about 3". The 3 plocostumus are about 4", 6", and 14".

    Quote Originally Posted by imma24 View Post
    +1 with all of the above - messing around with your pH will only stress your fish out - along with the ammonia.

    Water changes are your best friend when cycling with fish in the tank - you should not let your ammonia get much above .25ppm - if it goes higher, you change the water to read the reading back down.

    The cloudiness you saw was a bacterial bloom.

    While cycling, there is no need to touch any media in your filter at all - bacteria need to grow on the media - cleaning it or replacing it will hinder that. Ensure you have enough filtration for double the size of your tank.
    Ok will not mess with the filters at all. A bacterial boom is a good thing then? Thanks again for all the replies, it's greatly appreciated

  6. #6

    Default


    6 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by shifttofirst View Post
    Thanks for your reply! I actually got the fish from a lady on craiglist, so I cannot return them. There is an angel fish, 2 goldfish, 3 plocostumus, and another algae sucker, but i don't know what it is. It's very small. One of the goldfish is huge (12") and the other is about 3". The 3 plocostumus are about 4", 6", and 14". OMG - all those fish are in a 75gal tank?? Gee willickers - OK - you are going to need to re-home several of them - I can't imagine the largest fish have much space to swim in and are VERY crowded - both goldfish need a pond and they are cold water fish. The plecos also don't belong in a tank that size - they will each potentially grow to over a foot. These fish all came in that tank? At this point, the only fish I would consider keeping is the angel - you also really need a test kit if you want to keep fish in that tank.
    A bacterial bloom shows your tank is cycling and growing bacteria.
    Please see my response
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

  7. Default


    3 Not allowed!
    ++ to Imma's response
    Please reread what she has said in red. the plecos HAVE to go. the gold fish too. Generally an independent fish store or even Petco or petsmart have orphan tanks and will take in fish that for whatever reason can't continue to be housed in their current tank.
    Your only other option is to rehome the angel and plecos and keep the goldfish and set the tank temp to its needs. they are cool water fish unlike all the others which require 78 - 82 degrees F

    So sorry to be the bearer of bad news. please google each of these species of fish (common pleco, goldfish and angel) and you will see what their tank, temp and food requirements are and quickly realize why they can't be housed together in a 75 gal tank.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

  8. #8

    Default


    4 Not allowed!
    + 1 to what everybody has already said, and one more reason not to keep goldfish with tropical is; Goldfish and tropical fish have different disease tolerances. Some diseases affect certain fish differently than they do others. Since tropical fish are completely different species entirely, they are more tolerant to certain diseases (and vice versa). There’s a good possibility that your goldfish will get sick from a disease that won’t necessarily affect your tropical fish. Goldfish also get diseases more readily under warmer temperatures than they would under cooler, more comfortable temperatures.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

    Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget

  9. Default


    1 Not allowed!
    My Grandfather has a very nice biologically filtered pond in his backyard... So I need to get rid of both goldfish AND all 3 Plecos??? Ill only have my one small plecostomus and the angel left. But if this is the best thing for the fish then I will do it... Thanks again for everyones responses and opinions

  10. #10

    Default


    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by shifttofirst View Post
    My Grandfather has a very nice biologically filtered pond in his backyard... So I need to get rid of both goldfish AND all 3 Plecos??? Ill only have my one small plecostomus and the angel left. But if this is the best thing for the fish then I will do it... Thanks again for everyones responses and opinions
    Perfect, you are lucky your grandfather has the set-up...it IS the best thing for the fish...
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •