· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Butterfly Koi

1. Default Butterfly Koi

0 Not allowed!
    I need some help on my butterfly koi. I made plans to get them a 50 gallon tank next month, but I found out that they need at least a 1,000 gallon or a pond. I can not supply either of those. Would it be best to re-home them? I also have no idea how to ship fish, so I would rather not have to mail them, so I'm conflicted as to what I should do. I also don't want to post them on craigslist where some one could get them and take care of them worse than I have. I came to these realizations when a fish I had died today, and it's in too small of a tank, and I don't want it to happen again.
    x2

2 Not allowed!
    Certainly do try rehoming it.
    It isn't really the season for buying koi or pond fish, but you could try your luck in the classifieds of the local pond forum/society/club? People there will certainly tend to be more knowledgeable than on craigslist

1 Not allowed!
    If you have a really good LFS that also deals in koi and has relationships with some of its customers, they may be wiling to help you connect with some koi "parents" and find a home.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Definitely check with any LFS nearby, privately-owned ones are best. Petsmart, Petco, etc, won't take them most likely.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I talked to my parents about getting one of those plastic ponds for outdoors. He said next summer I can get one and I can section off a piece of yard for it. Would it be okay to have the koi indoors during cold weather (in the 50 gallon), then put them in the bigger pond during the spring- fall? And if so, how do I maintain a pond? Will I need another filter? I'm assuming I should still put décor in it. Thanks for all of the help. I will try to answer my own questions with some research but figured I'd run it past you guys.
    x2

0 Not allowed!
    please still keep in mind that a koi still requires a very large enclosure(as you noted, 1000 gallons or more)and can be a responsibility for possibly a couple decades if well cared for.
    if you think you and your parents are up to the task then you can try. the worst case scenario is going through all the effort of setting up the pond and then in the end still don't have the accomodations for
    a koi. koi grow fast, and it is quite iffy whether it will fit in the 50 gallon all winter. depending on its size it might work if you keep it cool and don't feed much.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, they are 4 inches right now. And I feed them about 8 pellets a day twice a day. Is that too much or not enough? I think we might go for making our own pond then using pond liner. We'll be shooting for more than 1,000 gallons. Will the pond need a filter? I'm assuming so, but I have no idea what kind to look for.
    x2

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    We have decided that it would be best to re-home them. But we don't have any local pond organizations, and we don't have any friends that want fish or can care for them properly. What is there left for me to do? My parents want to release them in our local pond, but I would think that they would die? They are used to captivity, so they lost their instincts. I'm not really sure what to do at this point. And it's a definite that we won't be able to supply ample room for them. I wish we knew how big they would get when they got them...
    Last edited by hunterk997; 12-06-2013 at 11:57 PM.
    x2

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    DO NOT RELEASE THEM!
    They would do fine, fish don't really lose instincts, but that's the problem. Aquarium fish cause a lot of damage to the environment, even just a few, and more if they'll breed. Plus, it's illegal, irresponsible, and should not be done. Aside from the new-species problem, aquarium fish can release pathogens into the envirnoment, things they might be resistant to but native fish won't be.
    Again, DO NOT RELEASE YOUR KOI.
    Do you have any pet stores near you at all? You could try there. They don't need to be pond organizations, just fish stores.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

0 Not allowed!
    Besides the above,
    Your fish is living in a warm environment. The waters outside are very cold. A koi can take waters down to near freezing, but that takes a long time of acclimatization(I.e. Autumn). Putting a fish living at room temperature in water just above freezing, even with a few hours acclimatization, will likely kill it.