· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've been researching those plecos, and wow they're gorgeous! I'll have to look around a bit for some... Especially those queens. Am I right in thinking that most plecos are pretty much the same as regards care, aside from the few omnivorous species? As in, give them driftwood and veggies to eat?
    Do they like squash and carrots? I know they love zucchini. My pencils all swarm when I offer them bits of nori, so that gets eaten up before anything else can get much.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know about the wheat in the flake food but I can't imagine it being an issue. Hey, your house your rules though!

As for your questions:
    1. You will read headstanders are school and they are in nature. I've read and been told you can keep a single specimen and I have successfully. I wouldnt suggest anything to anyone unless I know it to be true. So, yes, you can keep a single spotted headstander by himself. If you google it, you'll find plenty of info but here's a link http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Live-F...adstander.aspx

2. Plecos have different care. Some eat algae but many need protein too like bloodworms, daphnia, etc. Not sure about EVERY pleco but all that I've ever kept or wanted needed wood. Find one you like, do research on it, and if it fits your tank, enjoy!

3. Rummynose tetras - BEST schooling fish I've ever kept. They literally follow one another through the whole tank. In a 65, that would be impressive. Get them over the glow light is my suggestion.

4. Scratch the hatchets if you already have pencils. Never kept them but always wanted to!
    Check out my 55 Gallon, planted, Philly themed community tank! Rummynose and Cardinals, dwarf cichlids, plecos, shrimps

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Alright, looks like I have a headstander on my list now. I'll have to find one available, but I know a really good store that has rare fish much of the time... I've been looking online, it's just that online fish care instructions are usually pretty varied.

Don't worry, I intend to fully research anything that I don't already know a lot about. There's plenty of wood in the tank already... What's a good oddball pleco? Like, something that makes people do a double take and go 'Is that real?' when they see it. I think I saw this pleco once who looked like a tangle of bush attached to a pleco, but on the fins and tail, not just the nose. Any clue what he might have been?

How many rummies would you suggest? Something like 25? I'm still not sure exactly how much my tank can hold, fish-wise, but I can tell you that it's going to be heavily planted, and I know that can up the capacity a bit.

I love my pencils. They're active and colorful, and they seem to be fairly smart. The males 'fight' quite often, but it isn't real fighting... They go and flare at eachother, circle a bit, then sort of press their sides together for a minute and dart away before going back and circling agian. I don't know how they choose a 'winner', but eventually they both scoot away, only one is sort of sulking and the other seems to be strutting. It's really quite hilarious, and since they don't get hurt, it's pretty cool to watch. I really suggest trying out some pencils if you get the chance... I currently have two dwarf (lined) and the rest are Beckford's, which go under the other names of golden or brown pencilfish. They really don't care about species, as far as I can tell.

I'm going to go and use Aqadvisor to calculate some stuff... Hang on a second.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    1 spotted headstander
    Betta, goby, darter
    3 checkerboard chichlids
    2 GBRs if I can find a mated pair, 1 if I can't
    1, maybe 2 twig cats
    1 or 2 small plecos of some sort (I found alligator plecos, which are epic, but they get almost a foot long)
    Something like 20 pencils?
    Maybe... 30 rummys?
    5 bluefin notho killies because they're really neat little things.
    Aqadvisor tells me that this would make my tank really overstocked... 160%, filtration capacity 70%. Does this sound like far too many fish? And if so, what sounds like a more reasonable stocking?

0 Not allowed!
    it does sound quite overstocked to me, if it is a 65 gallon.
    from the spotted headstander(can also be quite aggressive as I hear), betta, goby, darter, checkerboard cichlids, GBRs, twig cats, small pleco
    I would pick a maximum of 2-3 species and a maximum of 6 individuals.
    of schoolign fish I'd get an absolute maximum of 35 in total.

if I were to stock a tank according to your stock list, it would be as follows:

4 checkerboard cichlids OR 1 pair each of checkerboard and GBR

1 small pleco(twig cats are supposedly quite fragile)

15 rummynose

15 pencilfish

4(1male 3 female) killifish

of course, this is just a suggestion, so don't think that it is the only way to go.
    Last edited by madagascariensis; 11-26-2013 at 10:52 PM.

6. Default What should I do with my stock?

0 Not allowed!
    That's a lot of fish man. Keep the pencils. Do 15 rummys. Remember there are many headstanders. Spotted stays smallest and not aggressive (maybe to its own kind which is why only get 1 or 6+). Golden nugget is awesome. I think the one you're referring to is bushynose? Also great fish. Two schools, two suckers (twig and pleco), two pairs (gbr and checkerboard) and that's probably good
    Last edited by Fish from Filly; 11-26-2013 at 11:53 PM.
    Check out my 55 Gallon, planted, Philly themed community tank! Rummynose and Cardinals, dwarf cichlids, plecos, shrimps

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I know it's way too many, I was messing with numbers. I don't think the pleco critter is a bristlenose, it was different, bushier around the fins. Or maybe just a weird bristlenose. I saw the gold nugget plecos, and those are really pretty....
    Alright, I think I have a list of fish that's good.
    Female betta (not being replaced when old age gets her)
    Peacock gudgeon
    Darter
    Goby
    Spotted Headstander
    Either mated pair of German blue rams or a single one if I can't find a pair
    Farowella catfish of some sort. Royal, maybe, or just twig if I can't find a good one
    Five bluefin notho killies
    Three checkerboard chiclids (one male two females, if I can tell the difference)
    15 rummynose tetras
    20 pencilfish, which will be a mix between Beckford's and dwarves. Ten of each, probably, which makes one big school of two different patterns and similar colors.
    One pleco of some sort. I don't quite know what sort of pleco yet... I'm thinking gold nugget, bristlenose, starlight, or starry night... All fairly small, all gorgeous. Is there one that's least likely to gnaw on my plants if I give them veggies? Pleco diet will be veggies, driftwood fiber, and some of the frozen food that I'll make sure they pick up off the sandbed. That should be a good meal for them, unless I'm very mixed up with fish care.

Now I gotta figure out how I'm gonna catch the tetras I'm not keeping... Might end up pulling some stuff out, at least I'm already planning to remodel.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Get schools first then add slowly. I would say there is about 100% chance your final stock will change from now until its actually complete. That's ok! It's good to do research but you will likely find something in the store or get a deal on something you didn't plan on. My advice is to start with fish you absolutely know you want. Have fun friend!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks a whole bunch for all the help!
    Yeah, I know stuff is going to change... Probably some oddball fish are gonna get chucked in there. I know to research things, and I know a couple of good places to look for unusual fish like the headstanders... I plan to start a journal thread of sorts when I get started on the remodels.
    The problem with only getting things I want is that around half the store consists of things I want... I'll just have to head in the direction of the things on my list so I expend my budget, then I can go and look at things without having to worry that I'll impulse buy something and regret it.
    Thanks again!