· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default What should I do with my stock?

0 Not allowed!
    I own a planted 65 gallon tank, and am re-vamping it over Christmas. Plants are crypts, swords, vals, Java fern, Java moss, anubias, a bit of hornwort, and an undetermined floater type that will be added later. I have a few very nice cherry shrimp who are just in a hatchery until the plants come in for good, and there are two sun nerite and two or three assassin snails. After trimming and pruning, here's my stock list. Any numbers that are unsure are that way because I never see all of them at once, so I don't know exactly how many I have.
    4-5 regular, 2 albino glowlight tetras.
    1 neon tetra who thinks he's a glowlight.
    5 longfin black skirt tetras
    8-10 pencilfish (1-2 are dwarfs, the rest are Beckford's)
    1 dwarf sunset gourami, male, healthy and well-adjusted.
    1 female betta
    1 stonehead sulawesi goby. Very intellegent, peaceful, pretty little thing.
    1 darter, probably male. Friendly, scoots around the bottom, doesn't like others of his kind but fine with everything else including that goby.
    1 checkerboard chichlid who's getting buddies soon.
    One sweetie-pie female peacock gudgeon, who might get a few more buddies soon. Cute thing, active and bold.

The neon and two glows are rescues from well-meaning people with an overstocked tank, they ended up staying with me because I decided to add them to my schools.

The female betta hates other bettas, but she ignores pretty much everything else. She's a color-changer, so she's staying.

The black-skirts are fairly new from someone who was going on vacation for too long to get a sitter. They're getting along with everything, and don't war too much with eachother, just school and very occasionally chase eachother. They were in a 10g before, no problems, so it's a well-adjusted school that doesn't kill itself. All the fins are intact, minus very very light nips from a couple. I love these things, they're gorgeous! I'm curious... Does the size of the tiny fin behind the dorsal of a black-skirt mean anything? The largest of those fins is on the leader, I notice...

The checkerboard is the most peaceful chichlid I've ever even heard of, never seen any trouble from him at all, not even when the smallest pencil in the school was messing with him. He could have eaten it, maybe, but he just ignored it. In fact, he was scooting away from it!

Any advice on male-female ratios of peacock gudgeons? They can be distinguished because the females have black edges on the fins... Sometimes they don't, but black edges mean a definite female. Also, can royals or other gudgeons live with peacocks?

I got rid of my cories because I suspect the sand I have doesn't agree with them. I'm thinking maybe the checkerboards can be my bottom-layer schoolers, that's where my one lives most of the time. I've read that these things aren't mean even when breeding... Awesome.

Here's my list of fish I really like and may get. These aren't all planned fish, just ideas and things that I like.
    1: Sparkling gouramis - I don't think so. My dwarf sunset gourami and my female betta would kill one, I think.
    2: Twig catfish - I think so. Have to get some algae wafers for him, but those are really cool.
    3: More pencils, more checkerboards - almost definite.
    4: More gudgeons - maybe. Looking for advice.
    5: More cherry shrimpies after the plants fill out. I know a place that sells them cheap.
    6: Banjo cats - I don't think so, I've read they just hide in the sand a lot.
    7: Maybe more sulawesi gobies - Know a great place to get them, need to research if they're territorial.
    8: I love African butterflies, but they'd eat everything. I don't think so.
    9: Knife-fish are also great, but same problem plus that electrical-discharge thing. Unless they make dwarves or herbivores, probably not.
    10: Marbled hatchetfish - Maybe. Pretty things... Problem is, I feed only frozen foods to avoid glutein, and frozen foods sink. Can hatchets learn to dive for food?
    11: Hmm... Upside-down cats are really neat, but I'm not sure about how large they'll get. Aren't there dwarf upside-downs?
    12: I'm thinking more tetras, maybe a few more glowlights...

Any oddball fish you can recommend that might work?

I'm sorry if this is all confusing and sprawly, I'm more or less just asking for stocking advice.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    More stuff:
    Hara jerdoni, dwarf moth catfish, dwarf anchor catfish, same thing: Anything you can tell me? Small, shy, eat frozen food... That's what I've seen so far. They're supposed to be delicate, at least from one site, but another says they're really hardy... I'm confused.
    Malasian yellow pygmy cats. What can you tell me about them? How hardy are they? Terribly shy? Picky? Prone to just randomly dying? They're supposed to be good little cats...
    Gertrudae rainbowfish. Is there anything unusual about them?
    Forktail blue-eye rainbow. Same questions, really, I just want to know if they're anything unusual as regarding care.

Are there any killifish who don't live for only a year or two?

Almost forgot: My tank's PH is about 7.2, which happens to be the PH of human blood.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    cool tank, id suggest getting a few more neons for the lone ranger one you got, would help him feel more secure.

as for the hatchets, even if they did learn to dive for food they wouldnt be able to eat it because they have upward pointing mouths, i used to feed mine freeze dried blood worms.

rest i dont really know about, good luck.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, I've got a stocking plan in mind, I think.
    1 female betta
    1 dwarf gourami
    1 twig catfish (farowella)
    5 bluefin notho killifish (forgot to mention that I have two of those)
    5 checkerboard chiclids
    5 peacock gudgeons (2 male 3 female, if I can
    1 darter
    1 sulawesi goby
    5 black skirt tetras (would add more but don't want to risk messing up the school they have going on)
    12 glowlight tetras (going to get rid of the neon and possibly the two albinos to make the school more coherent in color)
    12 pencilfish (dwarf & Beckford's)

Aquadvisor states that this puts my tank at 115% capacity with a water change schedule of 32% per week, and that with the additional filter I'm adding my filtration capacity will be 106%. Since the tank will be heavily planted, does this sound like a good stock level?
    I'm torn on the smaller schooling fish... I just can't decide between glowlights and pencils. The skirts might go if they start acting up, and if they do I'll put some more checkerboards in their place.

5. Default What should I do with my stock?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishkeeper View Post
    Okay, I've got a stocking plan in mind, I think.
    1 female betta
    1 dwarf gourami
    1 twig catfish (farowella)
    5 bluefin notho killifish (forgot to mention that I have two of those)
    5 checkerboard chiclids
    5 peacock gudgeons (2 male 3 female, if I can
    1 darter
    1 sulawesi goby
    5 black skirt tetras (would add more but don't want to risk messing up the school they have going on)
    12 glowlight tetras (going to get rid of the neon and possibly the two albinos to make the school more coherent in color)
    12 pencilfish (dwarf & Beckford's)

Aquadvisor states that this puts my tank at 115% capacity with a water change schedule of 32% per week, and that with the additional filter I'm adding my filtration capacity will be 106%. Since the tank will be heavily planted, does this sound like a good stock level?
    I'm torn on the smaller schooling fish... I just can't decide between glowlights and pencils. The skirts might go if they start acting up, and if they do I'll put some more checkerboards in their place.
    Hey I know what you're going through. I been keeping fish for 2 years now and at first I was like I want this that cool oddball etc. I think you named many great fish and lots of rarer species. If I can offer advice, it's to limit amount of schools and pick fish that usually go together in nature and will occupy different parts of your tank. Keep doing your research though. Seems like you're into it and reading a lot.

I suggest scratching idea of beta, gourami, gudgeons, darter, goby and killis because they dont really go with the others.

What about going for exotic plecos. Golden nuggets, sultan, queen arabesques, king tiger all beautiful rarer plecos that don't get too large.

I've kept checkerboard and they are some of the coolest fish I've ever had. Rather than 5, get 2 females and a male and a pair of another dwarf cichlids. Apistos are colorful. Check out cockatoo and double red agassizi. German blue rams are very beautiful as are electric blue. I wouldn't put many cichlids into medium sized tank so really 6 would be crowded unless they are mated pairs.

For your schools, I would pick one or maximum two. The pencil fish or glowlight tetras or black phantoms occupy top. Go with 12 of whichever. The phantoms can be nippy with long finned fish. Personally, I've always loved large school of marble hatchetfish but glow lights would be second choice.

For middle I like rummynose or cardinals but neons are cool too, especially if you have one already. You could have a huge school that follow one another if you got 25. It's a beautiful sight to see that many cool colors school across the tank. They would occupy middle and bottom.

Love the whiptail catfish!! Also look into spotted headstander (fun fish to watch swim) and royal farowella

In summary for a 65 gallon, I'd say:
    15-25 smaller tetras for top like glow lights
    20-30 neons or cardinals
    2 dwarf cichlids like apisto or rams (should be a pair)
    3 checkerboards 1 male, 2 female
    1 whiptail cat
    4 other oddball sucker cats (L series plecos all the way but headstander and farowella can all be housed together)
    Last edited by Fish from Filly; 11-26-2013 at 05:32 AM.
    Check out my 55 Gallon, planted, Philly themed community tank! Rummynose and Cardinals, dwarf cichlids, plecos, shrimps

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like some pretty good advice to me, thanks! Hmm... The betta is staying unless she gets really mean. She's a color-changer... She'll go from greenish blue to blue, and the amount of white on her body will change in seconds for no apparent reason. If she weren't a color-changer, I'd probably give her away. I don't think she'll be a problem with anything, she pretty much ignores everything in the tank aside from just staring at the goby now and then.
    I'll get rid of the gourami, but the darter, goby, and gudgeon are all wonderful little things that never squabble with anything in the tank or with eachother. Well... The goby ate a couple of pygmy cories, but they were kind of tiny anyway, I can't really blame him. If possible, I'd love to keep them, they're great little oddballs.

The glowlights seem to stick around the middle... Is this just because they're sticking around the pencilfish, do you think? Actually, both of them are mid-to-top, mostly mid-water fish as far as I can see. There's no real reason I can see that they wouldn't go up to the top... Hmm. Maybe get rid of one species and up the numbers of the other as mid-waters... I should probably just flip a coin or something since I can't choose.

I LOVE marbled hatchets. I was just concerned that they wouldn't get fed because I have to feed frozen food to avoid glutein, and it sinks. Can hatchets learn to dive for food?

My gosh those headstanders are HILARIOUS. I did a little search and I can't tell if they need groups... Do they?

What's the best way to tell the checkerboards apart? I saw a bunch of them at the LFS and couldn't really see anything too obvious to differentiate between males and females.

I've always liked rams... I think I might go with GBRs. If I can't find a mated pair, would a single one be alright?

Definitely getting some sort of a twig. I like the royals, but they tend to cost more... Just curious, what do you normally see the regular twigs priced at? I found a place that sells them for $10, nice big healthy ones too.

I do like some plecos, but I'd really rather not have anything too expensive... For one thing, I'm on a budget. I used to have a bristlenose, but he started chewing my swordplants and chasing after everything on the bottom. I think I found out why they're also called bulldog plecos... Or am I thinking of something else?

If you're willing, I'd like to keep sort of poking this stock list back and forth since you seem to have a good idea of what fish go well together. I am more open to suggestions and pokes in the right direction, but basically what I'm now thinking is:

Get rid of the skirts before they cause problems (even though they are really cool and look kind of like their cousins the pirhana, especially around the face)
    Betta, goby, darter, and gudgeon are probably staying
    Maybe 12 or so marble hatchets for the top if they won't starve
    Something like 25 (maybe) pencils or glowlights for midwater
    Either a mated pair or a single GBR
    3 checkerboards
    1 whiptail
    Headstander(s)

And I think that leaves some room. Ideas? I like unusual fish... They don't have to be brightly colored or anything, and the fish that most people find ugly I find amazing. If it doesn't quite look like a fish, I'll probably like it.
    The below is mostly a list of things that I would love but can't keep. It's sort of rambling, you can ignore it. Unless you know a small non-brackish-water scat or mono...
    Leaf-fish are totally epic, but they'd glomp everything up. As would african butterflies, knives probably get too large and might eat the pencils, those long things whose name I can't remember are peaceful but brackish, banjo cats hide a lot, monos and scats are also brackish, pipes are too hard to target-feed in such a large tank (though I do know a place that has true freshwater pipefish that'll eat frozen, yes those are a thing), gars are much too large, wild bettas are probably a nope, cherry shrimp'll be food, they don't make freshwater seahorses, elephantnoses are big and probably carnivores, pirhana are a nope on so many levels even if they might leave the tinies alone, glass cats are prone to ich, axotols are a nope for a lot of reasons, swamp darters are really epic but wouldn't get along with my darter I have now, flagfish get mixed info online and might be mean, I don't think they make tiny freshwater needlefish, peacock eels would eat most of those, aaaand those really neat catfish whose names I don't remember get way too large. OOH! Angelfish? No, wait, that'd eat the pencils... Never mind.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Lol I didn't realize you already bought many of this fish. I think the pencils appreciate some cover so if you have a floating plant, they may swim in top. Hatchets won't dive. Just feed then floating flakes. Never heard of that goby but if you're ok with eating your other fish then lave him (I wouldn't!!)

Important to add slowly! It's my pleasure to help
    Check out my 55 Gallon, planted, Philly themed community tank! Rummynose and Cardinals, dwarf cichlids, plecos, shrimps

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh and yes headstanders are listed to be schooling. I've read and been told they are ok as single but avoid gettin only 2 or 3. I've kept a single headstander for a long time and he grew and appears to be doing great

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just reading up on your post again...you may have issues with Beta and other fish occupying top of the tank (definitely wouldn't get the butterfly fish). the bulldog pleco and BN are different. I have an albino bshynose long fun and he gets a lot of attention when people see the tank. He was only $12. The other plecos I named are easily $50 but IMO worth it (just get them last to make sure your tank is stable).

Remember that you're adding schools of smaller tetras and most oddballs would love to snack on them.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm remodeling the tank that I already have, not starting from total scratch. I know it's important to add fish slowly, I'm just trying to get a list planned out.

I can't feed flake food because all flake foods have wheat and my mom has a severe intolerance to wheat. Even a tiny bit will make her really sick... We can't have wheat in the house. Or oats, or barley, or anything containing glutien. If no hatchets, maybe I'll add a bunch of floating stuff and coax the pencils into staying up top.

Hmm... Some people call rummynose tetras 'king of schoolers'. Do you suppose I could put a bunch of rummynose tetras in there for the midwater school? I like those little guys, they're cute and the colors are interesting.

The betta sort of drifts all over the tank, she doesn't know she's supposed to be a top-level fish. The other three oddies all stay around the bottom of the tank, where there's plenty of hiding places and spots to break up the line of sight, so I don't think there'll be any issues.

I know the goby would naturally be a concern, but he's less than two inches long and the pygmy cories that he got were absolutely MINISCULE. He can't get any of the others and never even tries.

Ah, so bulldogs and BN plecos are different... I wasn't sure, some people seem to get them mixed up. Mine might have been a bulldog, I guess, because he grew a little bit and got mean. Do you know a good source for some of the more unusual plecos?

Maybe 5-6 headstanders? I can't find too much on the spotted ones, but they look awesome. I've just read that sometimes they pick on eachother, though. Do you suppose a single one would be fine with a bunch of plants to hide in? I don't want to end up with some poor spotty hiding in a corner and starving to death because the others pick on him.

I know most oddballs will munch on tiny fish... Hence the rambling list of things I can't keep.
    Last edited by Fishkeeper; 11-26-2013 at 04:31 PM.