· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    I think that's what I'll end up doing, waiting for spring. In regards to the hatchets I really think its the species thing. I witnessed one group picking heavily on the two that don't blend in.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1   and gift - mommy1   Thanks for the rep - Cliff   Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff   Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199   

0 Not allowed!
    I have had similar experiences with Cardinals FreakyFishie. Some shipments just don't do well. I usually let the lfs keep the new arrivals for more then three days before I buy some. Having a shipment of only 7 fish seems a little odd though. I wonder how many fish started out in that shipment?
    As far as your Hatchet issue goes, I don't have anything, sorry. Marble Hatchets are the only ones I've kept over the years and adding replacements to the school over time went well for me.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Apparently there were only 7. This last batch is actually doing better. This first batch I got 10 and lost 8, next batch I got 7 and lost 6, then I got 6 and lost 6. This batch I got the 7, putting my total up to 10, but this morning I only counted 9. I couldn't find a dead fish so maybe he's just hiding or got earn by my angel, I did get one super tiny one and he's the one that's gone. The remaining 9 or doing fairly well, most are showing good color and no signs of anything like Ick or worms.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    i used to work at PETSMART about 5 years a go, they still practice the same fish keeping practices, i've also kept marble hatchets and cardinals.

i can tell you from my time at pet smart that the cardinals that come in are pretty sensitive , they drip acclimate the cardinals for about an hour or so and still have a high loss compared to the other fish.

the Hatchets they have at pet smart are mixed silver hatchets, true hatchets will have a black horizontal stripe across their bodies and false hatchets dont have the stripe, so if you do buy a school of them i would recommend asking for either a school of the false ones or the true hatchets, also the hatchets dont eat flake in the stores we would feed them freeze dried blood worms.

its funny watching them eat them because their mouths are pointed up and when they grab a blood worm it looks like they are smoking a cigar, LOL

anyway hopes this helps, i'd try drip acclimating the cardinals and definitely take advantage of petsmarts 2 week guarantee, also are you turning off lights when acclimating?
    Last edited by birdman1275; 11-23-2013 at 06:04 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith   For your tank - steeler1   Here's a cutthroat (?) for your dream tank... - WhistlingBadger   

2 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above, I drip acclimate all my new arrivals with the lights off for up to two and a half hours on account of my Ph being so high. Even with that, I have had losses in fish like ottocinclus. I imagine that there will be cases of the same in cardinal tetras, that no matter how much you do, you will inevitably lose some.
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

Latest gifts & ribbons:

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Birdman:
    I completely believe that at the petsmart you worked at you did that, but I know here where I live that they don't, they float the shipment bags and then dump the fish in. Though thanks for clarifying on the hatchets, I had indeed noticed two different species so I'm glad to have that confirmed though when I asked at the store after the first batch I had gotten, they tried to tell me I was wrong and it's all the same species. The issue is the ones with the stripes look JUST like the silvers when they're stressed out because the stripe goes away so it's really hard to pick them out when they're all together. I've decided to separate the species, keeping the regular hatchets in my biotope and putting the silvers in with some discus and then boosting up the school number since that would leave me with 4 regulars and 2 silvers.

As far as my cardinals go, I lost another one over the night so now I'm down to 8. I really don't get it because last night Rhet were all showing great colors. Normally I can tell ones about to go because hell be swimming away from the scho and be pale, but last night they were schooling and everyone looked great. :( I just don't know what to do. Even did a 25% water change with pre conditioned water...

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    freakyfishy- the associate at the petsmart in your area are lazy then, angels, cardinals and probably rams(rams werent there when i was) are supposed to be drip acclimated, its company policy, while all the others just dumped in, that sucks though sorry for you cardinal loss and your LFS laziness. what is your GH.

most tetra species are really sensitive to excess mineral in the water, a safe effective way to lower the GH and the ph is through peat moss filtering, dont want to use to much but it will also put tannins in the water and make it darker.

hope separating the hatchets help.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   For Your 33 Gallon. Happy Holidays! - Taurus   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, except that adding acids in the form of tannins is going to do nothing to the minerals already in the water. The only way to lower GH is by addming more water and thereby getting less dissolved minerals.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Yeah, except that adding acids in the form of tannins is going to do nothing to the minerals already in the water. The only way to lower GH is by addming more water and thereby getting less dissolved minerals.
    i thought peat moss will leach the minerals out of the water.??

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   For Your 33 Gallon. Happy Holidays! - Taurus   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   

0 Not allowed!
    And where would they go then? If it was that simple people wouldn't spend money on RO devices.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast