· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Juvenile Gold Severums White?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi!

I saw (for the first time) juvenile gold Severums today! They are about 5cm, but they are white... Do they change colour later and become gold? Will they show at this age if they have red in them or is it something that will develop over time? I am looking to get Severums, but first want to check if it is normal that they are white when young. Is there a possibility that they might stay white?

Your wealth of knowledge will be MUCH appreciated! Thank you!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My next question would be: how do you sex them if there are no squiggles on their faces and no fin length differences?

0 Not allowed!
    I do believe the a lighter color is very normal for young severums. They do typically darken up as they mature. You also have to keep in mind that you will also get color variations in mature adults as well, some will get a lot darker than others. Just watch the fish carefully before buying them to make sure this is just a normal color variation and not a extremely stressed out fish.

I find young severums very hard to sex. The best way I know how to sex severums is by the fins. Males will have a more pointed dorsal and anal fins. In addition, the head on a males will have more of a pattern and darker coloring, but that typically happens once the fish starts to mature.
    Last edited by Cliff; 11-23-2013 at 10:12 AM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Cliff!

I went ahead and bought 8!!!

I spent quite a bit of time in the shop, looking at them and checking out the other tanks. After that I had a very lengthy discussion with the owner. He recommended that I take quite a few, allow them to couple up, allow them to grow and show a bit more coloration, and then decide which happy couple I wish to keep. We really struggle to get them in our country, and he is willing to buy back the ones that I decide on not keeping. It is mutually beneficial. I get the chance to choose the mating pair I want, and I help him by growing them out in my scarcely populated 450l.

They are so pretty!!! I frankly don't care if they stay white anymore! I'm in looooove...

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    Don't worry about sexing them, they'll sort themselves out and pair off when they're mature enough. Severums are quite slow-growing fish, so it may well be a year or more since they're such young juvies now. (Something to consider if you plan on breeding/raising them as well.) I have a large pair of super red severums, originally got 4 of them around 7-8 cm. The other two died at different times along the way, the pair I have now have never spawned or even claimed a spot and cleaned it off. Clearly sexable by the longer/pointed fins on the male, and they always hang out together, but never any spawning.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.