Aquarium Forum
 


Menu
  · Tropical Fish Home
· Fish News
· Aquarium Forum
· Buy & Sell
· Calculators
· Equipment reviews
· Free Aquarium Ebook
· Feedback
· Link to us
· Photo gallery
· Plant species
· Tropica Plant DB
Tropical fish species
· By Common name
· By Scientific name
Tropical Marine fish
· By Common name
· By Scientific name

_________________
 
      
        Via paypal

  AC news is a part of
      Nature Blog Network

      Reef Aquarium Blog

Privacy & Ad Policy

Articles
  · African Cichlids
· Algae Control
· Aquarium Decoration
· Aquarium Resources
· Aquatic Plants
· Barb Fish
· Betta Fish
· Breeding Fish
· Catfish
· Central American Cichlids
· Cichlids
· Clownfish
· Corals
· Corydoras Catfish
· Discus Fish
· Dwarf Cichlids
· Fish Diseases
· Frogs and Turtles
· Goby Fish
· Goldfish
· Gourami
· Invertebrates
· Jellyfish
· Killiefish
· Lake Victoria Cichlids
· Livebearers
· Malawi Cichlids
· Marine Aquariums
· Marine Aquarium Fish
· Other Fish
· Pleco
· Predatory Fish
· Photography
· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42
  1. #1

    Exclamation Problem with plants?


    0 Not allowed!
    Hi all,

    One and a half week ago I bouht two plants for my aquarium. One is Anubia which is anchored in the gravel leaving the roots unplanted and the second one i think is a Anacharis planted on the gravel. I noticed some strange marks on the Anubia and some black spots in the Anacharis where I trimmed it. I am posting some photos to help you understand me. The only chemicals being used is the Tetra Floral Pride for plants and the Seachem Prime for the water. I perform two 20-30% water changes per week. The aquarium is 2 months old and the capacity is 60lt. Fish are 2 * Angels, 2 * Platies and 1 * Pleco.
    For lighting I use an Osram 24W PL 2G11 Lamp @ 4000K (http://www.osram.com/osram_com/produ...ctId=ZMP_58948)

    I am posting the water test results and the tap water test directly from the supply.

    Tank Water Test
    - PH: 7,2
    - KH: 15o dKH
    - GH: 14o dGH
    - ΝΗ3/NH4: 0 / 0
    - ΝΟ2: 0
    - ΝΟ3: 50
    - Cl2: 0
    - Temp: 26-27 degrees celcius

    Tap Water Test from supply
    - PH: 7,2
    - KH: 20o dKH
    - GH: 14o dGH
    - ΝΗ3/NH4: 0 / 0
    - ΝΟ2: 0
    - ΝΟ3: 10
    - Cl2: 0,8
    - Temp: 26-27 degrees celcius

    I know my NO3 is too high nut I can't lower them even I make 50-60% water changes. I know my tank is overstocked. I would like to know if there is something wrong with my plants or not. I also add I had Ich issue 2 weeks ago which was cured by increasing the temp and perform huge water changes.


    Thank you,

    Dimitris

    DSC01393.jpgDSC01394.jpgDSC01391.jpgDSC01392.jpg
    Last edited by dkatsariotis; 11-22-2013 at 12:16 PM.

  2. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Must be possible to lower nitrates by waterchanges. Please test phosfates as wel (used in ratio 10 nitrates : 1 phosfates). If there are no phosfates that could be " the brake" on plantgerowth. Do you use ferts as well?
    No Cory, No Glory !!

  3. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Sure it's an Anubia ?
    No Cory, No Glory !!

  4. #4

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    2 angels in a 60 liter... oh dear.

    Well the tank is overstocked which will probably be an important factor in the ich and the nitrate. Any idea what the pleco is?

    The anubias leaf shows some brown marks which could be the plant's reaction to damage from transport and/or planting. Bit like a scab on a wound. The Anacharis sometimes does that if you prune it. It usually doesn't go any further than a centimeter or so. Could be a sign you used blunt scissors. In any case it should recover and start a fresh branch below this.

    The lap should be enough for these plants. PErsonally I wouldn't have gone for a 4000k version but rather a 5400 or 6500k version because that looks a bit better but you could do that the next time you need to replace it.

  5. #5

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDutch View Post
    Must be possible to lower nitrates by waterchanges. Please test phosfates as wel (used in ratio 10 nitrates : 1 phosfates). If there are no phosfates that could be " the brake" on plantgerowth. Do you use ferts as well?
    No i dont use ferts. The pet shop owner told me it is Anubias.
    Dimitris

  6. #6

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    2 angels in a 60 liter... oh dear.

    Well the tank is overstocked which will probably be an important factor in the ich and the nitrate. Any idea what the pleco is?

    The anubias leaf shows some brown marks which could be the plant's reaction to damage from transport and/or planting. Bit like a scab on a wound. The Anacharis sometimes does that if you prune it. It usually doesn't go any further than a centimeter or so. Could be a sign you used blunt scissors. In any case it should recover and start a fresh branch below this.

    The lap should be enough for these plants. PErsonally I wouldn't have gone for a 4000k version but rather a 5400 or 6500k version because that looks a bit better but you could do that the next time you need to replace it.
    Yeap i know its overstocked. I have ordered a 6500k lamp to replace it. It is only temporary. What tool should i use instead of blunt scissors? The Pleco is a Common ome. What about the roots seen on the last photo?
    Dimitris

  7. #7

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    The bottom yellowing leaves could be from either a in balance in the type of nutrients the plants are getting, and/or not enough/correct lighting for them.

    I would be a little more concerned about the high nitrates and having angles and a common pleco in a tank that small. That is not good for your fish at all

    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

  8. #8

    Default


    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dkatsariotis View Post
    Yeap i know its overstocked. I have ordered a 6500k lamp to replace it. It is only temporary. What tool should i use instead of blunt scissors? The Pleco is a Common ome. What about the roots seen on the last photo?
    A "common pleco" is either a hypostomus or a Pterygoplichthys. In either case you're looking at at least 30cm adult length.
    I use sharp stainless steel scissors (Ikea, 3 for 2.50 euros I think).
    The last picture shows additional roots forming, perfectly normal for that plant. Replacing the lamp is not urgent. Improving your knowledge and getting rid of the fish that outgrow your tank or finding something substantially bigger is a much higher priority.

  9. Default Problem with plants?


    0 Not allowed!
    Overhere 4000 K is thought to be best for plantgrowth. Besides light they'll need carbon, macro ferts nitrates and phosfates and microferts like potassium, magnesium, mangan aso. As said : test Phosfates and add microferts. Any shortage will hit the brake !!
    No Cory, No Glory !!

  10. #10

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDutch View Post
    Overhere 4000 K is thought to be best for plantgrowth. Besides light they'll need carbon, macro ferts nitrates and phosfates and microferts like potassium, magnesium, mangan aso. As said : test Phosfates and add microferts. Any shortage will hit the brake !!
    Thank you all for your help. Is there any liquid that contains all the above?
    Dimitris

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •