· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Air Pumps Recomendation

0 Not allowed!
    What is a GOOD powerful air pump to put oxygen in the tank....

My brother has a Tetra Whisper and I think its just to loud!!! makes noise....

Looking fo ra quiet VERY quiet pump.. money no object..

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

1 Not allowed!
    I don't run an air pump in any of my tanks. All you need is surface agitation, and seeing as extra filtration is always good, I would use a canister filter with the spray bar aligned along the top of the tank to riffle the water's surface. Canisters are extremely quiet, I can't even tell my eheim is running.

0 Not allowed!
    You never mentioned what size and type (shape) of tank you have, as the depth of the tank is the deciding factor in how much air volume you need to push out. If you use an air pump then I would recommend the Rena 400. In my experience, it is the most quiet out of the others I have tried in the past and can more than handle a 55, for example, it has dual adjustable outlets. I have been using my Eheim canisters instead of the air pump for quite a while though, as the pump is not needed and I use my spraybars instead as Sheamurai had mentioned above.

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sheamurai View Post
    I don't run an air pump in any of my tanks. All you need is surface agitation, and seeing as extra filtration is always good, I would use a canister filter with the spray bar aligned along the top of the tank to riffle the water's surface. Canisters are extremely quiet, I can't even tell my eheim is running.

I think all air pumps will be noisy to some extent. I have the Petsmart Top Fin brand AIR 4000 (which are Eugene Danner brand pumps) which I really like because the air flow is adjustable. I have it hanging on the wall next to my 75 gal.

I agree with sheamurai on how to oxygenate your tank. The more ripples along the surface, the better. I have 4-5 ripples from each of my 2 AC110s. These break the surface tension and create an exchange of gases, oxygenating the tank. I have an airstone just because I like it and the bubbles also break the surface tension a bit (they do not add oxygen). The best way to oxygenate your tank is with a properly placed filter outflow.
    Last edited by gronlaura; 11-22-2013 at 05:38 PM.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Honestly they're all pretty noisy. I haven't found one in 7 years that was quit. I would suggest setting up a wet/dry sump filter. It will seriously oxygenate the water and it sounds like one of those soothing tiny water falls.
    70 Gal Planted Rio Negro Angelfish Biotope with:
    1 Whip Tail Pleco
    7 Hatchet fish
    11 Glo Light tetras, 6 Black Skirted Tetras
    6 Bronze Corys
    3 Wild Type Angelfish
    Current Plants:
    Giant Amazon Sword, Narrow Leaf Java, Val, moss on driftwood