· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Question Changing substrate

0 Not allowed!
    Hi

I have a cycled, stable 29g freshwater heated/filtered tank and am looking into getting a German Blue Ram once i sort out my substrate issue-
    I have noticed that since the GBR is a bottom dwelling fish, and to make my tank suitable for him I definately have to change my substrate from the gravel it is now to some type of sand.

So I have two general sections to my request for advice:

The first part is regarding type of substrate. I have heard that play sand is suitable. Does anyone have any experience with this? I would like to have a dark substrate this time as i have heard it brings out the colour in the fish. Does play sand come in different colours? Is there any specific type of play sand to avoid? Where would i go to get some?

The second part is regarding how to actually change the substrate. I have quite a few fish in the tank now and I don't want to lose any of them. I need to do this with the minimum of stress to the fish as possible. I am concerned that if i leave them in the tank they may get stressed AND hurt accidentally. However if i have to catch them all and put them in a bucket it may stress them to such a degree that some may not recover.They could be in the bucket awhile too- I have heard about possibly putting their heater in the bucket with them though- any opinions on that? There are also quite a few fish: 9 Cardinal Tetras, 4 Pygmy Rainbowfish (very fast little guys), 4 Ottocats and one lonely little albino cory catfish who i will get friends for as soon as the tank is stable after the substrate change. I am also concerned about losing my beneficial bacteria- I would not change any filter media and i thought about leaving a handful of the old substrate beneath the sand. I would also return as much of the original water to the tank as i could if that's a good idea.

Last thing, I promise (lol)- How deep does a substrate made of sand need to be?

So that seems like alot- i am hoping someone can help. Thank you so much in advance for your time.

Who Rescued Who?

Don't shop; Adopt!
    --FISH ARE FRIENDS NOT FOOD--

1 Not allowed!
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=33184

Here is an article in the "tank set-up" subforum on how to change substrate. Nothing you are asking hasn't been asked before and people change their substrate all the time : ) - any other questions, I'm sure someone will chime in.

Many members use play sand - fish will do fine in a bucket (or 2) or a rubbermaid tub along with a heater.
    Last edited by imma24; 11-21-2013 at 05:51 PM.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

3. Default

2 Not allowed!
    I've changed substrate with my fish in the tank before. What I do is work from the middle towards a side, get all the gravel from one side and then go to the other side so the fish can avoid you working. Then when you put the new substrate in do the same concept, put the new substrate in on side at a time then smooth it out. Also, you should be careful with play sand, it can contain minerals that will raise the pH and rams like 6-7pH. Also, you can use fine gravel instead of sand, less of a chance of it getting picked up by the filter.

Awards Showcase

My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Misse View Post
    Hi

Does play sand come in different colours? Is there any specific type of play sand to avoid? Where would i go to get some?
    Just bought Petco black sand for my dual 29 gals. I bought a 5 lb bag to test, rinsed it and I really like it. Hope to put it in the tanks (they are a work in progress) this weekend.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras, Albino BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 To renew your energy from posting so much.  :) - WhistlingBadger TGIF back at you ;-) - steeler58 
    TGIF - showmebutterfly TGIF...too bad it only comes once per week :-) - Taurus TGIF indeed! - RiversGirl TGIF -- and TFAYH (thanks for all your help!) - wgoldfarb TGIF! - Compass 
    My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Hope to put it in the tanks (they are a work in progress) this weekend.
    Don't "hope", "DO", lol
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass 
    this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl 
    for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer 

1 Not allowed!
    Depends on the fish whether they color up with dark substrate or a lighter colored one. I think the cardinals and rainbowfish would look pretty nice with a darker substrate.

Putting fish in a bucket of water is not to stressful on them if they are healthy. Don't save your tank water, there is no bacteria in it, put fresh clean water back in the tank. There is also no use saving any of your gravel if you are going to bury it in sand. Bacteria needs oxygenated water to flow over it or it will die and it can't get that if it is buried under sand. If you are worried there isn't enough bacteria in your filter and other hard surfaces (other than the gravel) in the tank to sustain the cycle then put some of the gravel in a nylon and hang it under the filter flow for a while.

If you have live plants you want at least a 2 inch bed of substrate to help them root. If no live plants it's up to you how deep to make the substrate.
    Last edited by KingFisher; 11-21-2013 at 09:26 PM.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you all for answering.

I will do it this sunday, the sooner the better, and i will let you know how it goes.
    Who Rescued Who?

Don't shop; Adopt!

Awards Showcase

My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb 

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Don't "hope", "DO", lol
    Like the lion in the Wizard of Oz who kept saying "I do believe in spooks, I do believe in spooks, I do, I do, I do", I have to say, "I will set up the tanks, I will set up the tanks, I will, I will, I will"............many LOLs!!!
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras, Albino BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    If you have live plants you want at least a 2 inch bed of substrate to help them root. If no live plants it's up to you how deep to make the substrate.
    With sand, 3 inches or less is good, definitely less than 4 inches. If it's over 4 inches, you can get gas pockets. Be sure to sift thru the sand about every 6 weeks to make sure it doesn't compact.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all

So yesterday I obtained some pool filter sand- silica sand. My intent is to start tomorrow morning- I will catch all the fish i can and should there be some fish i can't mange to catch then I will simply change my plan of attack to switching out half the tank, then the other half in the least water i can manage it in.

I am not a good fish net handler, but now i have two large nets to help with this task. It will be a fairly busy day and i have a family dinner to attend at 4:30-about 7 so i'd love to be finished by 2 or 3pm.

Does anyone know any tips on catching ottocats without hurting them? They seem so fragile and mine are quite healthy. I hate accidentally hurting a fish- it's only ever happened once, when one of my ottos jumped out of the net and out of my hand while moving them into their forever home- so i'm concerned. That otto survived btw. :-)

thanks for the advice about sand depth. <3

Who Rescued Who?

Don't shop; Adopt!