· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

Default what do you dose for ferts?

0 Not allowed!
    Well long story short i figured out my algae problem came from the LACK of nutrition in my water column. So im starting with flourish comp. But im soon moving to ei method of using dry ferts. Im wondering what every one else here is dosing? Also if this works out good i might make a whole load of clay based root tabs. Looks like i can make them for pennies on the dollar. If i have good success ill be sure to share with any one whos interested
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    Best to know first what types your plants need - some plants need root tabs and some need the ferts in the water. Unless you know that, advice on levels/types is not terribly useful. Still, if you have fish, avoid any ferts with phosphates - those will be too high already. From what I've read, nitrates of 2 - 3 ppm are best for plants but if you have fish, most likely your filter may produce that level already; iron is a key one that is hard to gauge without a test kit (consider that kit if you don't mind the cost.) Iodine is another overlooked trace element that some ferts don't have. Mg and S are critical and again, some ferts/tabs have different levels ... reading the levels on the boxes/bottles is a good idea but you are stuck with the levels they provide (in the mix.) For this reason, may experts just add their own - this is highly cost effective, eleminates the need for test kits, and gives the plants exactly what they need. Finally, it is very easy to do. One aspect of plant keeping to consider vs. the shot gun approch of using pre-mixed bottles.

0 Not allowed!
    EI is almost a guarantee for explosive plant growth if you got the lights to match. I suspect CO2 would also be a good idea if you went that route. For me personally the drawback would be the 50% water change every single week.

My personal method is way more old fashioned and roughly based around PMDD with some PO4 added.

If you do start EI I'm sure you know of http://calc.petalphile.com/ and http://www.barrreport.com/forumdispl...timative-Index

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 

0 Not allowed!
    Yes i do know about those. Ei is just what im starting with as i dont have the tests needed to do pmdd. I dont mind the pwc for now.
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i use P2s04 which is just potassium sulfate, i get it online from some guy named greg i think, i havent bought it in a while because i bought a few lbs and its lasted about 5 years now. i was tired of buying seachams potassium, and the great thing about potassium overdosing doesnt cause adverse effects. i just dump some in after water changes, my dosing method isnt very scientific i dont measure it out but i suppose one could.

after that i do the same with magnesium sulfate, more commonly known as epsom salts, bought at a local store. want to measure this out and find out how much you need, there should be some dosing charts online im sure, from some one alot smarter than me.

then i do some calcium carbonate, i just went and bought a bucket at a local pool store for like ten bucks, pool people use it to harden the water in hot tubs and pools, but its just straight calcium carbonate nothing funny in it, have to be careful with it though, it heats up when dissolved, also check for dosing suggestions from somewhere, im sure there is a reputable method for dosing.

then i take sechum fert tabs and i fill up a little bottle with aquarium water and dump one of the tabs in the bottle and shake it, a box of fert tabs with i think 8 tabs cost about 10 bucks where as a little bottle of seachum fertilizer cost about the same and uses up a lot alot quicker. the tabs and the liquid fert have the exact same ingredients, just different form and amount. i get the micro nutrients from the fert tab solution.

one can also purchase potassium nitrate and potassium phosphate in powder form but from my experience all the phosphate and nitrate ferts do is cause algae, even in small doses.

i also have co2 but im not a traditional co2 guy, i find it causes to many problems or im just to thick to figure out how to dose it properly so i just turn on my canister for a few seconds after a water change, i dont even know if it helps or not but it makes me feel better about having a pressurized co2 system not going to waste, and the plants seem to appreciate the little co2, so who knows.

im also aware of the co2 charts that coincide with PH but im lazy and what im doing seems to be working for me, i also realize what works for me and my plants/fish may not work for anyone else either but thats what i do.

potassium, magnesium, calcium, micro nutrients, little co2.
    Last edited by birdman1275; 11-22-2013 at 06:29 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    So you harden your water and chuck a load of sulfur in it with some potassium and magnesium? Wouldn't be my choice.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman1275 View Post
    i use P2s04 which is just potassium sulfate, i get it online from some guy named greg i think, i havent bought it in a while because i bought a few lbs and its lasted about 5 years now. i was tired of buying seachams potassium, and the great thing about potassium overdosing doesnt cause adverse effects. i just dump some in after water changes, my dosing method isnt very scientific i dont measure it out but i suppose one could.

after that i do the same with magnesium sulfate, more commonly known as epsom salts, bought at a local store. want to measure this out and find out how much you need, there should be some dosing charts online im sure, from some one alot smarter than me.

then i do some calcium carbonate, i just went and bought a bucket at a local pool store for like ten bucks, pool people use it to harden the water in hot tubs and pools, but its just straight calcium carbonate nothing funny in it, have to be careful with it though, it heats up when dissolved, also check for dosing suggestions from somewhere, im sure there is a reputable method for dosing.

then i take sechum fert tabs and i fill up a little bottle with aquarium water and dump one of the tabs in the bottle and shake it, a box of fert tabs with i think 8 tabs cost about 10 bucks where as a little bottle of seachum fertilizer cost about the same and uses up a lot alot quicker. the tabs and the liquid fert have the exact same ingredients, just different form and amount. i get the micro nutrients from the fert tab solution.

one can also purchase potassium nitrate and potassium phosphate in powder form but from my experience all the phosphate and nitrate ferts do is cause algae, even in small doses.

i also have co2 but im not a traditional co2 guy, i find it causes to many problems or im just to thick to figure out how to dose it properly so i just turn on my canister for a few seconds after a water change, i dont even know if it helps or not but it makes me feel better about having a pressurized co2 system not going to waste, and the plants seem to appreciate the little co2, so who knows.

im also aware of the co2 charts that coincide with PH but im lazy and what im doing seems to be working for me, i also realize what works for me and my plants/fish may not work for anyone else either but thats what i do.

potassium, magnesium, calcium, micro nutrients, little co2.
    Wow, is all I can say to this post
    55 Gallon ( Planted )
    - 3 Geophagus Cichlids
    - 6 White Tip Tetras
    - 1 Electric Blue Acei Cichlid
    - 1 Oto
    - 1 Common Pleco ( 3" )
    - 1 Common Pleco ( 9")
    - 1 Sailfin Pleco ( 8" )
    - 1 Gold Gourami
    - 1 Gold Chinese Algae Eater ( 8" )
    - 1 Tiger Barb
    20 Gallon ( Planted )
    - 34 Platy Fry
    10 Gallon ( Planted )
    - 2 Platys ( Breeding Pair )
    - 1 Female Guppy - 1 Midnight Cobra Guppy ( Breeding Pair )
    - 7 Neon Tetras
    - 3 Cardinal tetras
    10 Gallon ( Hospital/Newborn Fry Tank )
    -

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    I have heard of people doing that kind of ferting, but its not advisable unless your doing a non stoked tank. Also on another note baking soda is an endothermic reaction you might be thinking of calcium chloride as thats an exothermic.... which brings up another question, would using CaCl harm my bb in the tank?
    gotta love them bunnies!

0 Not allowed!
    Depends on the dosage but what would you get from CaCL? (ok, Ca obviously but why?)

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    sorry my bad, you are right calcium chloride. its the exact same stuff that is used in mixing seachum liquid calcium. it seems to hlep my plants and especially good for my snails and shrimp. also where i was had very soft water and all my snails were melting not to mention my plants were suffering and shrimps dying, so the added calcium helped alot.

As for Bb dont know what that refers to.
    Last edited by birdman1275; 11-25-2013 at 04:51 PM.