· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Nitrites were gone, now back, what's up?

0 Not allowed!
    I'm in about the third week of a fishless cycle using ammonia. For the last two days my readings were 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 5 ppm nitrAtes. I kept dosing ammonia to 1-2 after taking a.m. tests. I was feeling pretty excited that I might get to order fish soon. Now I see why it's suggested that you keep testing for a few days even after it appears to be cycled.

This morning my tests show 0 ammonia, 0.25-0.50 nitrites, and nitrAtes at 5 ppm. pH has stayed the same through all this at about 7.6 or a bit less.

I'm confused, what could have brought nitrites back into the picture? The only thing that is different is I have accumulated some mystery snails with my plants (sigh) and so yesterday morning I put a small piece of lettuce in a cup in the tank to bait some of the little buggers. Could a small
    piece of lettuce affect nitrite readings?

Feedback, please! Do I keep dosing with ammonia as I have been? Anything else I should do? thanks in advance...

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

1 Not allowed!
    Is it possible you dosed slightly more ammonia the last time?

More ammonia would turn into more Nitrites. So you are at a point when Group A of your BB which converts Ammonia to Nitrite is a healthy colony, but your Group B that converts it further is not quite a large enough colony to keep up with the Nitrite coming in to get it all converted to Nitrates.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think I understand what you are saying (much to my surprise!)....I'm using the same measuring tool every time I dose ammonia so it should be pretty darn close each time.

My nitrAtes have never gone over 5 ppm in this whole process, though much of the cycling information I'm reading says people will end up with over 20 ppm by the end of their cycle. I do have hard water and a 6-7 plants in the tank already so maybe that is a factor.

Is there anything I can do to encourage the nitrAte level up, or is it just a tincture of time situation?

1 Not allowed!
    Agree - if you are being consistent in your ammonia dosing, you appear to have enough bacteria to convert a certain amount - if you dose 2ppm instead of 1ppm, that requires the bacterial growth to catch up.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I get what you are saying but I still don't understand what is needed to increase my bacteria to that point where it can make the conversion...?

Awards Showcase

I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass 
    this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl 
    for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer 

0 Not allowed!
    How soon after dosing did you test? I usually suggest waiting at least a couple hours to give the bacteria time to do their job. If you did wait long enough all you can do is wait it out and keep dosing ammonia when needed to complete the cycle again.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I test first thing each morning when I get in my office and after testing I dose the tank....so I'm testing 24 hours after dosing.

It looks like patience is in order once again.

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Plants will consume some of the Nitrates that are produced. I'd not worry about trying to get that number higher, just after adding fish making sure you keep it down to an acceptable level.

Any rotting animal or vegetable matter would produce more ammonia.