· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, I'll set out some water right now and test it again at 5:30 tomorrow.
    Also, I think I've heard of using wood before. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know exactly what happens that lowers ph? Doesn't the wood release some kind of acid?
    Thanks,
    buddytrooper
    "A room without books is like a body without a soul."

0 Not allowed!
    While I haven't had ember tetras, I did have 3 habrosus in a 5 gal tank with 6-8 male guppies (Yeah, maybe a little overstocked). It turned out that the habrosus were 2 females and one male. In spite of the guppies being present, I ended up with over 50 habrosus babies, most of which I was able to sell to my local fish store (not the chain stores) and some I kept. Habrosus are usually very much in demand if you have a local, fish only type of store.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    Habrosus are usually very much in demand if you have a local, fish only type of store.
    Unfortunately for me, there are no lfs anywhere near me :(
    Also, an update on the tank.
    First
    -Put the bulbs in the hood and plugged it in to make sure they were working. They're not, so I gotta go and return them now to get some new ones.
    Second
    -I think I may have to much stuff in my tank :/
    -Also, I know double filtration is always good, but the 20i tetra whisper seems a bit big for a 10 gallon tank.
    -Any suggestions?
    0-2.jpeg
    Third
    -Im afraid a 20 gallon filter might cause to much current for habrosus corys.
    And thats all :P
    Time to get to work! :)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by buddytrooper View Post
    Okay, I'll set out some water right now and test it again at 5:30 tomorrow.
    Also, I think I've heard of using wood before. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know exactly what happens that lowers ph? Doesn't the wood release some kind of acid?
    Yes, it releases tannins. A mild acid which most fish also encounter in their native habitats.

Quote Originally Posted by buddytrooper View Post
    Unfortunately for me, there are no lfs anywhere near me :(
    Also, an update on the tank.
    First
    -Put the bulbs in the hood and plugged it in to make sure they were working. They're not, so I gotta go and return them now to get some new ones.
    Second
    -I think I may have to much stuff in my tank :/
    There's a lot of very err.... well... not very natural things there.

-Also, I know double filtration is always good, but the 20i tetra whisper seems a bit big for a 10 gallon tank.
    -Any suggestions?
    0-2.jpeg
    Third
    -Im afraid a 20 gallon filter might cause to much current for habrosus corys.
    And thats all :P
    Time to get to work! :)
    Use a sponge filter? OR spend a bit more money and order a Boyu EF-05
    Last edited by talldutchie; 11-21-2013 at 04:23 AM.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    There's a lot of very err.... well... not very natural things there.
    I agree :/
    My mom thought I should maybe have a red plant for some color, and so I thought "yeah, I guess"
    It went a bit farther then planned :P
    And as for the thing on the right... (Whatever that is) I went with that since the only natural decorations that were small enough to not take up half the tank were saltwater themed or that cave.
    I think I'm gonna go back to the store to get some more, well, green plants. (And take some of the others out)

Anyway, got a replacement hood from the store that works fine.

1 Not allowed!
    The filter mounted inside the tank takes up unnecessary room. If you can afford a little extra, the AquaClear 20 or 30 would be fine on that tank, given the stock you are planning. The AquaClears hang on the back of the tank and flow would not be an issue for the cories. I use the AC20 on my 5 gallon tank (the one that had all the babies!) and use a pre-filter sponge on the intake so any babies were not sucked up.

0 Not allowed!
    A Hob may require cutting up the hood. Personally that's not something I'd want to do. An eheim aquabal 2206 or 2208 would also be an option

1 Not allowed!
    "A Hob may require cutting up the hood."

That's certainly a consideration. There are sometimes sections that are meant to be cut out but not always. One of the reasons some "kits" are not always the best options if you want to customize some items.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm, I think they have aquaclears at the store. As for cutting the hood, there is a actually a removable section on the back for things like that.

Awards Showcase

Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ 
    TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos 
    TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 To renew your energy from posting so much.  :) - WhistlingBadger 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    Yes, alot of the kits have removable, break-away, or cut away sections to accomodate HOB filters....since you want the most filtration possible to maintain a healthy tank, without creating tidal waves, may I suggest an Aqua Clear 30, rated for 30 gallons?...that is what we have on our 10 gallon tank...not much more $ than the AC20, the flow rate is adjustable, and it has worked great on our 10 gallon...nice little filters, easy to maintain...and room for extra bio media, where your BB (beneficial bacteria) will mainly grow
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal