· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by buddytrooper View Post
    No, I haven't tested for nitrites yet. Also, I can test for both tomorrow morning I think...? I tested the .5 ammonia this morning, but hadn't been able to post until then. Oh, and apparently my dog likes the fish tank. He sat around staring at it for a while earlier.
    Sure, you can test for both tomorrow...glad your dog likes the tank, ours is jealous of our tank and fish, lol...if you sit in front of the tank long enough, my dog starts whining and bringing her toys, putting them in your lap, wanting to play
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

2. Default Mixing a 10 Gallon with a Beginner :)

0 Not allowed!
    Alright, I'm pretty sure I messed up my cycle... For the past few days I've been reading .5ppm (for ammonia), so I think something's happened to the all the BB. I assume chlorine got into the aquarium water somehow and killed it off.
    Can I dechlorinate the water then dose back up to 4ppm to start the cycle again?
    10 Gallon Tank: 8 corydoras harbrosus, 10 ember tetras

If you don't go with the times you are gone with the times...

1 Not allowed!
    Can't hurt to try....do a large WC, fill back up with fresh dechlorinated water, and dose back up to 4

4. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Alright, did the water change. (With decholorinated water)
    Time to dose the ammonia (correctly this time)! :)

5. Default Mixing a 10 Gallon with a Beginner :)

0 Not allowed!
    Oops, didn't meant to post this, will do so In a few

0 Not allowed!
    Well alright then....have not heard from you in a while, hope all is well

7. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Well alright then....have not heard from you in a while, hope all is well
    Thanks! And yep, things are pretty nice right now. :)
    Anyway, I was in the middle of posting this when I had to go to dinner and posted only half of it:

Hmm, it sure has been a while, hasn't it? Well, I'll just quickly summarize why I was gone. That first week after I disappeared I had exams, and since I needed to start the cycle again, I just decided to save it till that weekend. But then my brother had to go on college trips all weekend, and that week was the week of Christmas so I spent it busy doing multiple things with my family. Then I tried to begin the cycle again... And failed badly when I had to leave town for a while for a band clinic. Then I arrived home and that point I was discouraged. My dad was somewhat skeptical at this point if I REALLY knew what I was doing, so not wanting to fail again, I procrastinated for a bit. Then I went into overdrive preparing for sports, then they began, but now they're over. The thing is, everyday I passed the aquarium and would look at it and think "I will succeed!" (As in succeed in doing the cycle). Finally on the 13th, I began the cycle again. ... Wow. So much for quick.
    Anyway, on the 13th I did indeed begin the cycle. Now it's of course the 24th, and I tested the water to get these results: ammonia - 0ppm, nitrites - 0ppm, nitrates - in the range of 40-80ppm. So yeah, woo, cycle complete! Um... That's where Im not so sure. You see, by the 16th, the ammonia levels had reached 0 again, so I dosed ammonia once more on the 17th. On the 20th it's very low and reaches 0 the next day. So the 22nd, I dose the ammonia (my Mom wasn't home that night, the 21st, and won't allow me to handle the ammonia myself.) Finally, it's now 24th, and ammonia - 0, nitrites - 0. I'm thinking "alright, so there must be a lot of BB already for it to drop this fast, so should I have nitrites yet or is it still too early?" And because why not, I test for Nitrates, and find them at 40-80ppm. Now Im confused, as I thought Nitrates only show up when the cycle is done or just about? The main thing is that I made a crucial mistake while cycling: I forgot to check for nitrites until the 22nd (when I found them at 0). So what I'm wondering is, is the fact that I've began a cycle multiple times before somehow sped up the process this time and I managed to completely miss the nitrites rising and falling, and if not, how are the nitrates there, as I'm under the impression they only appear once nitrites fall.
    So yeah, that's my long winded post! Now that I shouldn't be busy for a long time, I have no excuse to not stop trying until I complete the cycle, and that's what I intend to do! :)
    But yes, any help/information anybody could provide me with on my issue would be greatly appreciated!

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

1 Not allowed!
    The nitrite part of the cycle can happen fairly quickly, so you may have just missed seeing them. If you have nitrates, you hd nitrites at some point! It was a suspiciously short cycle, so make sure of your next few readings.

If you are dosing ammonia, and it is gone the next day, with no 'trites, then it sounds like you are cooking with gas.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sheamurai View Post
    It was a suspiciously short cycle, so make sure of your next few readings.
    My thoughts exactly. So I'm thinking I should just keep checking over the next few days (adding ammonia still, and only once it reaches 0 of course) to make sure it's really cycled before doing anything else?

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    yep - you have to keep dosing ammonia until you add fish - otherwise the BB you've worked so hard to build would eventually starve and decline...

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast