· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

A toast to your next year! - imma24 Happy Anniversary. - Strider199 <3 - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For being the 1500th poster to my thread!..thanks! - Slaphppy7 
    For the safe arrival of Judi's Discus!! - steeler1 Thanks for all your help - JoeH Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 
    Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

Question

0 Not allowed!
    I have a question - while cycling, should you add water to raise the level? Otherwise it will just keep going down. The added water would have an effect on your ammonia ppm, right?
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - 10 Gold Pristella Tetras, 4 Scissortail Rasboras, 9 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, 5 Longfin Zebra Danios and 2 Regular Fin
    My Dual 29 gals, a work in progress - Tank 1 - Amano Shrimp, Peppered Cories, Tank 2 - Glowlight Danios and a Calico BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    I tend to think that any added water, with conditioner added of course, would have a negligible affect on the ammonia ppm...the OP could always check the ammonia ppm after adding water, then dose back up to 4 ppm, if needed....but, you may have a point with a tank that is small, such as a 10 gallon
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

3. Default Mixing a 10 Gallon with a Beginner :)

0 Not allowed!
    Well, the water is going to be below the minimum water line on the heater once it falls another centimeter. Should I add water to get it back to normal? Or should I wait for the ammonia to reach 0, then add the water, then redose? (If the water stays high enough for that long of course)

Oh, and for the background, I have know i have some black construction paper lying around somewhere I could use. I may have a poster board too
    10 Gallon Tank: Currently empty

If you don't go with the times you are gone with the times...

0 Not allowed!
    I forget, which heater did you get?...you should be able to to move a submersible heater to avoid having it out of the water enough to make a difference

5. Default Mixing a 10 Gallon with a Beginner :)

0 Not allowed!
    I have an eheim jager 50 watt heater. So should I move it downward a bit? Oh, and I had accidentally clipped on the heaters suction cups over the light that tells you of it's on or off. I can always tell because there's a faint orange glow, but should I fix that while I move the heater?
    Last edited by buddytrooper; 12-07-2013 at 10:37 AM.

6. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I don't think topping off the tank a bit will matter too much. You'll be dosing again anyway when the ammonia drops. And since most heaters are completely submersible, I usually place mine horizontally on the back wall of the tank near the bottom. This keeps them submerged even during water changes. But you should be able to just twist it in the suction cups for the light to be visible if you keep it in the upright position.

0 Not allowed!
    Hi buddy,
    I agree with SueD, top off your water, but add a little Prime to the tap water before yopu dump it in...check your ammonia, as long as you show some by testing, don't add any until you reach 0, like your original fish free cycle mentions

That heater is fully submersible, so move it down...some people position theirs sideways, some straight up and down...that is up to you...and yes, move the clip so that you can see the indicator light

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well.. Just a quick update. Everything's going fine, and the ammonia is at .5 ppm right now.
    Like I said, quick! ;)

0 Not allowed!
    Excellent....keep an eye on your ammonia, maybe check it sometime tomorrow afternoon...and post back..have you tested for trItes lately?.....if you show any at all, you know what to do....when you get trItes to register, and if by chance the API test shows "yellow" for ammonia, which indicates 0 ppm, dose back up to half ppm of ammonia that you started with, and let it go...if no ammonia and no trItes, then dose ammonia to your original amount of desired ppm.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No, I haven't tested for nitrites yet. Also, I can test for both tomorrow morning I think...? I tested the .5 ammonia this morning, but hadn't been able to post until then. Oh, and apparently my dog likes the fish tank. He sat around staring at it for a while earlier.

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast