· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Default Mixing a 10 Gallon with a Beginner :)

0 Not allowed!
    So... a 10 gallon tank is being mixed with a first time aquarium owner... Lets see how it goes, shall we?
    Some backstory: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=115100

So, if you dont want to read that, Ill make it really really short and tell you I've just gotten a 10 gallon tank, along with filter, heater, etc.
    No need to worry, Ive done my research and will soon be beginning the fishless-cycle :)
    Expect more posts when that begins.
    For now, Im finishing up deciding on the kinds of things like whether I want gravel or sand (went with sand).
    My plan for fish is to, as catfish and loaches are my favorite kind of fish, keep corydoras habrosus and just go with whatever fish go nicely with them. So... (is a word i like to start sentences with apparently) I plan to post here from day 1 of the cycle to, well, until I stop keeping fish, which hopefully will be never!
    Expect many questions from in the coming days!
    I hope to see you all around on the forums,
    buddytrooper
    10 Gallon Tank: 8 corydoras harbrosus, 10 ember tetras

If you don't go with the times you are gone with the times...

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

2 Not allowed!
    good luck with your new tank! A ten gallon won't give you a lot of choice for stocking, but they are still fun - right now its the only tank I have as I am waiting to move, and I'm enjoying it.

Hope your cycle establishes quickly for you!

3 Not allowed!
    +1 with above regarding stocking - you need to stick with fish that stay very small (like no larger than 1-1 1/2 inches full size)- a tank that size will handle a small school of tetras, perhaps a few guppies/platies, microfish, small shrimp, snails, etc. - I wouldn't put cories in there because even though there are some that stay small, they won't have much floor space in a 10gal and they move around alot - plus they feel more comfortable in groups.

Good for you in deciding to do a fishless cycle - don't start your ammonia too high. Some people think they need to start with a lot of it but you are only growing enough bacteria for a 10gal tank.

Also, make sure you have enough filtration for at least a 20gal tank.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

Awards Showcase

For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 
    6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass 
    Another milestone! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    don't start your ammonia too high
    1.5 ml of 10% ammonium hydroxide will get you to 4 ppm in a 10 gallon...a medicine syringe is handy to use for measuring ammonia, most are labeled in ml increments

Here's a handy calculator: http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

3 Not allowed!
    Here is a pretty good article on stocking a 10 gallon tank for you to read:

http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Stock...10_Gallon_Tank

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by imma24 View Post
    +1 with above regarding stocking - you need to stick with fish that stay very small (like no larger than 1-1 1/2 inches full size)- a tank that size will handle a small school of tetras, perhaps a few guppies/platies, microfish, small shrimp, snails, etc. - I wouldn't put cories in there because even though there are some that stay small, they won't have much floor space in a 10gal and they move around alot - plus they feel more comfortable in groups.
    I think this could be one of the rare cases where you and I might disagree.

According to my list of standard American aquarium sizes a 10g has a footprint of 20" x 10" which is about 50 by 25cm. That should do nicely for the habrosus or pygmaeus. A group of 8 or even 10 individuals could be at home in this. PErsonally I think I'd go for hastatus in this case because it's more active in mid water and keep it as the only species.
    If kept as a species only there's a good chance you could even breed these if you can provide soft and clean water. With C. Pygmaeus I've found that they do tolerate medium hard water but they're much more lively in soft water.

In any case set the tank up with sand, a nice piece of driftwood that they can also hide under. Tie a small anubias to it and place some smaller plants towards the back of the tank.

IF inclined to mix with another species I'd consider the ember tetra or possibly if this is a covered tank, one of the smaller pencilfish.

7. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    1.5 ml of 10% ammonium hydroxide will get you to 4 ppm in a 10 gallon...a medicine syringe is handy to use for measuring ammonia, most are labeled in ml increments

Here's a handy calculator: http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm
    +1 Don't just dump it in! Learn from my mistake. LOL

2 Not allowed!
    I have a school of 7 habroseus in a 10g and its like having a normal cory in a 75 (which I have) they have a ton of room and are very happy. As long as they have places to hide and make sure they get a little food they are great.

I have them with some killifish or you could do endlers (or any other microfish)

1 Not allowed!
    So it is okay for corydoras hasbrosus in a 10 gallon? Just want to make sure.
    10 Gallon Tank: 8 corydoras harbrosus, 10 ember tetras

If you don't go with the times you are gone with the times...

Awards Showcase

For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 
    6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass 
    Another milestone! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    If Hardy85 says it is ok, then you are good to go, he knows his fish...just be sure to get that tank properly cycled first, then provide hiding places like he suggested...good choice on the sand, too
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal