· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Question How old is too old? Buying adults

0 Not allowed!
    So I'm looking into purchasing a breeder pair of red/turquoise discus from a "local"(bout an hour out from me) discus specific hobbyist. The pair is 2-3 yrs old, fully grown, they're BEAUTIFUL fish and HUGE, they literally look like fat swimming dinner plates lol. I've never bought adult fish before, but I've read that discus can live to be 8-10 so these fish aren't too old to buy are they? Up to what age can discus fish breed?
    70 Gal Planted Rio Negro Angelfish Biotope with:
    1 Whip Tail Pleco
    7 Hatchet fish
    11 Glo Light tetras, 6 Black Skirted Tetras
    6 Bronze Corys
    3 Wild Type Angelfish
    Current Plants:
    Giant Amazon Sword, Narrow Leaf Java, Val, moss on driftwood

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the award - Brookfish Thanks for the rep :-) - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas! - The Red Severum merry christmas - mommy1 Seasons greetings have a great christmas - Celtic Fins 
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat Happy Holidays! - King Tut Merry Christmas! - rich311k Wishing You A Very Happy New Year!!! - Jill Happy New year. - Celtic Fins 
    Happy New Year to the forum 'funny' guy. AKA...MR. NYLONS. - gabbyguppy Congratulations on your rep star - Celtic Fins Another round for my friends - mommy1 Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1 After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 
    Hope you are well man - robflanker Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy Birthday - mommy1 Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Jaster Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Jaster 

0 Not allowed!
    from what I've been reading they can live for about 10 years if cared for correctly. I would think at worst you could get a good 4-5 years company from them. To me that would be worth it.

I've been in that boat with some of the cichlids and angels I bought as full grown adults. To me... if you like them get them. It's a risk but so aren't all fish especially when it comes to breeding.

I would assume you could get a couple years off breeding from them. I'm not even close to an expert though. From what I understand they are really close to angels and how they breed and for how long.
    Last edited by Jaster; 11-19-2013 at 03:16 PM.
    Angel breeder wanna-be

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    The issue isn't the age of the discus but can you handle the massive and daily water changes required for breeding discus? The vast majority of breeding discus only 'breed' when their water has 'zero' phosphtaes and other waste organics; this is a lot of work. While there are special procedures that can help induce spawning (temp drop) but for most pairs, ultra pure water is the main and critical parameter. Food is important as is keeping a high temp for the young. Also, moving a breeding pair can be an issue and they may need time to adjust while you keep up the daily and massive water changes.

If you are ready for all that, get the pair - raising discus young is the greatest reward in discus keeping.

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    Fish can usually breed throughout their lives, larger females produce more eggs than smaller ones. As for sensitivity to water conditions, some strains are more delicate/demanding than others. Breeding is relatively easy, raising the fry is the more difficult part from what I've gathered.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.