· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 8 of 49 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think anyone answered but where do you get moss and is it easy to grow. I have seen those mossballs but can you cut them up in pieces and put them somewhere and have them continue to grow and spread?
    My Aquarium Journal
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...=1#post1186825

4 Spotted Corys
    2 Peppered Corys
    3 Super Red Plecos
    10 Ghost Shrimp
    9 Black Skirt Tetra
    5 Long Fin Black Skirt Tetra
    6 Mickey Mouse Play
    1 Assassin Snail

75 Gal Planted tank 65% stocked

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
    I don't think anyone answered but where do you get moss and is it easy to grow. I have seen those mossballs but can you cut them up in pieces and put them somewhere and have them continue to grow and spread?
    Yes you certainly can cut them up and use bits here and there, some folks here use a little fishing line and tie it off to rocks or driftwood, and it grows well on those surfaces

I bought my plants from here, great service, nice healthy plants, and they sent more than I paid for! http://www.plantedaquariumscentral.com/
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks slap we have a lot of mossballs at our LHS and they are all vibrant looking and brightly colored. I was wanting to make one of those little huts from a coconut I saw and had some moss on top and really looked cool but wasn't sure if had to put some substrate on top somehow or where to get the moss other than those balls
    My Aquarium Journal

4 Spotted Corys
    2 Peppered Corys
    3 Super Red Plecos
    10 Ghost Shrimp
    9 Black Skirt Tetra
    6 Mickey Mouse Play
    1 Assassin Snail

0 Not allowed!
    You are very welcome, but beware of those coconut shells, they can rot and foul your water

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I read abt boiling them to get rid of the tannins and that after that you shouldnt have a problem with them.

Has anyone made their own DIY co2 diffuser? looks nice but i dont understand the things abt them not running at night etc
    My Aquarium Journal

4 Spotted Corys
    2 Peppered Corys
    3 Super Red Plecos
    10 Ghost Shrimp
    9 Black Skirt Tetra
    6 Mickey Mouse Play
    1 Assassin Snail

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    well wife came home from work tonight bearing presents. wished she woulda waited for me but hey i can change things around later.

She did pic a nice background which will work nicely with a planted tank and driftwood and the rocks on it are plain grey so I sb able to match them pretty easily, she got a pump and the guy told her she should get one slightly bigger than the aquarium so she got one for a 90 gal tank. that's fine as I will be adding a 9" LED bubble wall bubbler which will add more oxygen as well as the plants. She got a bottle of chlorine remover, some clear gluey stuff for mounting the backdrop to the glass, and some 6 way test strips. I would have rather chad a chemical one but she said all she saw was one for each different item and she wasnt going to spend 100 bucks buying 6 different kits. I guess the strips will do for now and I can always buy the other one later its the thought that counts and will get me started with my cycling.

How do I tell how much ammonia to add to have my 4 ppm?

My Aquarium Journal

4 Spotted Corys
    2 Peppered Corys
    3 Super Red Plecos
    10 Ghost Shrimp
    9 Black Skirt Tetra
    6 Mickey Mouse Play
    1 Assassin Snail

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    the background pics are a little fuzzy but its nice its a black background with some root stock and grey rocks it actually looks cool and would look cool in 3D
    My Aquarium Journal

4 Spotted Corys
    2 Peppered Corys
    3 Super Red Plecos
    10 Ghost Shrimp
    9 Black Skirt Tetra
    6 Mickey Mouse Play
    1 Assassin Snail

8. Default

2 Not allowed!
    A couple of suggestions:

1) That filter is not really large enough alone. You should have at least twice the aquarium capacity. You might want to either add a 2nd one of that size or look into a canister filter. I have smaller tanks so I don't use canisters but maybe someone more familiar with them will chime in. I know Eheim is a popular one. If you stick with HOB (hang on back) filters, consider swapping it out for the AquaClear filter instead of Aqueon. The AC's are better with respect to the type and amount of media you can use that will hold your beneficial bacteria.
    2) Seriously, invest in the liquid test kit - API Master Fresh Water Kit. You can order on-line easily if not available locally to you. I use Drs Foster and Smith (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/fish-supplies/pr/c/3578) a lot and if you order a certain amount shipping is free. (Maybe get your filter and the test kit together). Those strips will be of no help when going through your cycle. I don't believe they test ammonia.
    3) Prime is an excellent dechlorinator, to use with initial fill of the tank and with all subsequent water changes. Also available at Drs. Foster and Smith.
    Last edited by SueD; 11-22-2013 at 12:29 PM.

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    A couple of suggestions:

1) That filter is not really large enough alone. You should have at least twice the aquarium capacity. You might want to either add a 2nd one of that size or look into a canister filter. I have smaller tanks so I don't use canisters but maybe someone more familiar with them will chime in. I know Eheim is a popular one. If you stick with HOB (hang on back) filters, consider swapping it out for the AquaClear filter instead of Aqueon. The AC's are better with respect to the type and amount of media you can use that will hold your beneficial bacteria.
    Sue gave you some really good advice here Joe. The Aqueon filter would be a good supplemental filter to compliment a canister filter, but I would agree that a canister filter is needed for your tank as well. Eheim canister filters are a good option.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with Sue and Taurus...hope you saved your receipt...the test strips are useless, the "tap water conditioner" is not needed once you get some Prime, and the filter is inadequate...

Page 8 of 49 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast