· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 20 of 49 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ok I haven't added any ammonia yet I am about to. I just did my first water test and I did it 3 times because i got funny readings and it came out the same all 3 times so here is the results. can someone explain to me whats going on here

I am using the API master test kit

PH: 7.6

High Range PH: 8.2

Ammonia: .25

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 5.0 ppm
    My Aquarium Journal
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...=1#post1186825

4 Spotted Corys
    2 Peppered Corys
    3 Super Red Plecos
    10 Ghost Shrimp
    9 Black Skirt Tetra
    5 Long Fin Black Skirt Tetra
    6 Mickey Mouse Play
    1 Assassin Snail

75 Gal Planted tank 65% stocked

0 Not allowed!
    You have some ammonia (probably "ammonium") and some 'trAtes in your tap water, not highly unusual...the Prime will take care of these...when you are ready to add ammonia, you will need to add 11.36 ml to get 75 gallons up to 4 ppm, according to this: http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I added 5 ML and i am at abt 3 PPM now its not 2 ppm and not quite dark enough for 4 so im at abt 3PPM

so with these canister filters is it natural that the water doesnt look like its moving but if you put hand in there you can feel it coming out strongly?

water is slightly cloudy now and not as bad as it was yesterday. I figure a few more hrs with filter going and it should clear up.

my water temp is abt 80-81 I have my heater going but it said to leave it run for a couple days to adjust it.

I am used to the light in the heater staying on as it heats up but this one seems to run for a bit then go off then kick on heating up that way. it was set to max setting I'm not sure what that is its just a bunch of numbers from 1 to 35 so i dropped it down to 33 for now and will see after a couple days. i don't mind the heat up cause will help the cycle. tonight local guy sb giving me some of his bacteria so that will help speed things up
    My Aquarium Journal

4 Spotted Corys
    2 Peppered Corys
    3 Super Red Plecos
    10 Ghost Shrimp
    9 Black Skirt Tetra
    6 Mickey Mouse Play
    1 Assassin Snail

0 Not allowed!
    Let it run for awhile and check again...yes, that is how the filter works...how do you have the spraybar ponied?...you will want it to create some surface agitation...you DID dose with Prime, correct?...if you did not, you will never grow bacteria, the tap ammonium will kill it before it can grow

You added less than 1/2 the amount of ammonia the calculator suggests, so be sure and check it in a few hours, and dose to 4 ppm, in small increments

Not sure about your heater number scale, perhaps it is Celcius (?) but maintain at about 80 F and you will be fine...it is normal for the heater to kick on and off as it reaches, then maintains, the desired temp

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    this wasnt the heater reaching and maintaining its the way it climbed it started at 74 last night and kept kicking on and off guess it protects the heater from over heating itself.

I did calculator and it said i needed abt 6.5 ml lol did you change the ammonia percentage to 10%?

I been told by bunch ppl 3 PPM others 4 PPM I waited abt 30 mins before i tested after adding it. I think if I am at 3 PPM I sb fine.

I added prime last night after filling it it said 1 cap full for every 50 gal so I added 1 3/4 caps full.

so those measurements were abt 6 hrs after I added the prime
    My Aquarium Journal

4 Spotted Corys
    2 Peppered Corys
    3 Super Red Plecos
    10 Ghost Shrimp
    9 Black Skirt Tetra
    6 Mickey Mouse Play
    1 Assassin Snail

0 Not allowed!
    Yes:...US Gallons...75...4ppm...10%...= 11.36, just double checked again (?)

With Prime, it is easier to dose (and remember) 1 ml for every 10 gallons, so you would need about 7.5 ml for a 75

This IS a 75 gallon tank, correct??

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    well it all depends I used 3 ppm and 10% since a majority said 3 PPM was plenty to start with and it said 8.52ml so I put in 5 and i had some in from the fill even after the prime and when tested it came to 3PPM you need to also take in consideration as I read from an article somewhere the amt of substrate and other stuff taking up some of your volume so it took me only 5 ML to get to my desired 3PPM
    My Aquarium Journal

4 Spotted Corys
    2 Peppered Corys
    3 Super Red Plecos
    10 Ghost Shrimp
    9 Black Skirt Tetra
    6 Mickey Mouse Play
    1 Assassin Snail

0 Not allowed!
    I certainly hope you don't consider "substrate and other stuff" when dosing Prime, or you will be underdosing, possibly messing up the cycle, and definitely harming future fish...I don't know what "majority" recommends starting with 3 ppm for a fishless cycle but hey, it's your tank....good luck to you
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 12-04-2013 at 05:29 PM.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    no my prime i used what bottle said. for the cycle it shouldn't make that big of difference I have seen ppl using anywhere from 3 to 5 PPM at the most the little lower amt will just make my cycle go a little longer. will see what happens and can adjust from there.

the hardest part is there are so many people using so many different ways just have to pick one and go with it and adjust from there as needed its not like its rocket science where i need to have exactly this or that much or it totally wont work
    My Aquarium Journal

4 Spotted Corys
    2 Peppered Corys
    3 Super Red Plecos
    10 Ghost Shrimp
    9 Black Skirt Tetra
    6 Mickey Mouse Play
    1 Assassin Snail

Awards Showcase

Happy Anniversary. - Strider199 <3 - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For being the 1500th poster to my thread!..thanks! - Slaphppy7 For the safe arrival of Judi's Discus!! - steeler1 
    Thanks for all your help - JoeH Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

1 Not allowed!
    I agree with Slap and would definitely does a 75 gallon to a minimum of 4 ppm, nothing less. Remember, this will allow you to stock all your fish at one time. You want to grow enough BB so that you can do that - the less ammonia, the less BB you will grow and the less fish you can stock.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - 10 Gold Pristella Tetras, 4 Scissortail Rasboras, 9 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, 5 Longfin Zebra Danios and 2 Regular Fin
    My Dual 29 gals, a work in progress - Tank 1 - Amano Shrimp, Peppered Cories, Tank 2 - Glowlight Danios and a Calico BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Page 20 of 49 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast