· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~ View Post
    Desired tank ammonia level / (Ammonia concentration % (from the label) x 10/tank volume in litres) = Amount of household ammonia to add in ml.
    The problem is a lot of the ammonia products you find in hardware or grocery stores do not have an ammonia concentration level listed on them. I know that was the case with the stuff I bought for fishless cycling my 75g tank a couple years ago. In my case I started with a teaspoon (about 5 ml) and that me to about 0.5ppm, so it was easy to get to 4ppm from there. I'm guessing OP started with a much larger amount.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Freashfish View Post
    I put ammonia in my fish less cycle 55 tank Friday and the reading as of now is 8.0 If so should I just wait a couple more days and check again? Nothing told me how much to use so I just poured some in.
    Yes, Brhino - OP started off with 8.0 (or higher even) and was advised to change out the water to lower it.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by imma24 View Post
    Yes, Brhino - OP started off with 8.0 (or higher even) and was advised to change out the water to lower it.
    I know. I'm just saying that if you have a bottle of ammonia without a labelled concentration, then the first dose you do must in fact be a guess. If you ask around a bit you can make an educated guess, but it's still a guess. I guessed a teaspoon (I don't recall why I picked that amount) and got a useful reading. OP probably added a much larger amount or had much more concentrated ammonia.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes op started with a crap load by pouring it in. My mistake but if the how to fish less cycle had said use a dropper or maybe start out with a teaspoon then this op would have never started this post. My ammonia is where it should be now after 9 WC and I'm going to wal mart to get a dropper today. So I just chalk this up as a restart on my cycle and a lesson learned. For when I decide to get another tank. Life is all about learning from your mistakes and this is one of mine. I blame no one but my self for this and hope to learn more as I go. Like I have about this.

Thanks Dean.

1 Not allowed!
    Don't fret over it, you got it where it needs to be, around 4 ppm?..you used pure ammonia in some concentration, not anything with perfumes or surfactants?.....if so, just let it go, run a heater and filter, and start growing your beneficial bacteria...no need to check water params for a few days if everything is good

You need a medicine SYRINGE, the kind they give you if you've ever had to dose liquid medicine from a pharmacy to a child...we had several laying in drawers I never knew we had until I started fishkeeping, lol....mililiters, not drops, is how you want to measure ammonia doses...I think you can buy packs of these cheap plastic syringes at Walmart or dollar stores...

I agree with previous posts, the fishless cycle sticky needs to be updated, we DO know how to dose any amount of gallons we encounter with the amount of ammonia we need to reach 4 or 5 ppm
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

6. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I used the janitor strength from ace no foam when shook just a few bubbles. The pharmacy at wal mart just gave me a hand full of syringes for free. I felt like a junky with so many LOL I already had a bigger one for doing water test it make it easer to put water in the little tubes . Now the waiting game begins and the wife says I get Cichlids for Christmas Woooo Hoooo happy man right here!!! and some other stuff for my tanks.

0 Not allowed!
    Perfect, you are well on your way...I was thinking you could get those syringes for FREE (my favorite price) but wasn't sure...those are the only thing I use to fill my water test tubes, I just fill them to the max and fill to the line of the API test tube...any leftover tank water goes into the next one

Patience is key now..."Ciclids for Christmas" would be a cool name for a rock band, IMO
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal