· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Did i put to much ammonia?

0 Not allowed!
    I put ammonia in my fish less cycle 55 tank Friday and the reading as of now is 8.0 If so should I just wait a couple more days and check again? Nothing told me how much to use so I just poured some in.

0 Not allowed!
    No - I would do a water change and reduce the ammonia to a reading of no more than 4.0 - I've read that if you start off with too high of a reading, the cycle will stall and it won't come down by itself - you are only adding enough ammonia to grow enough bacteria to support fish that can fit in a 55gal tank.

I think that once you get a reading of 4ppm, you will see it start to drop. Once you get a reading for nitrites and the ammonia drops to 0, you can then add enough ammonia to get a reading of 2ppm (yes, half of the original reading) - follow directions for fishless cycle from then on
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks I'll do that in the morning after doing water changes on my other tanks.

Thanks again.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well after 3 full WC my ammonia is still 8.0. My rocks are really porous so wondering if they have a lot of the ammonia in them along with my sand. Guess I'll wait for a few days and see if it goes down. If it doesn't then what should I do?

Thanks Dean.

Awards Showcase

For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady 
    Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    More water changes. The API chart only goes up to 8ppm, the actual number could still be much higher. I would also take those rocks out and rinse them off very well.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok i'm going to do 3 more WC one after another and see if that works. If not I'll do a complete tear down and just start over now that i know how much to put in this time.

Thanks Dean.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I sure am glad this tank came with a python!!! LOL

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok did 3 pwc and 3 fwc now my ammonia is at 4ppm after two hours of running first. I'll check again tomorrow but sure it will be good. To get this cycle on the way

Awards Showcase

For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady 
    Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Glad you finally got that ammonia to a good level, hopefully everything goes much smoother from now on.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Nothing told you how much ammonia to use? How about the cycling threads in this forum .......and in my signature?