· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Companions for bettas

0 Not allowed!
    So I'm trying to figure out what else to get to go with a Betta and am getting soo confused. I know Cory Catfish can live them, i know where to get some catfish so I may get that but would prefer to get something else.

So One person told me a Betta would get on with Platys, then someone else said they wont get on with brightly coloured fish.

Can Bettas go with gouramis, if so what sort?

What about Bristlenosed cat fish?

Ummm others I liked were Guppies, and the tetras were ok, not really that pretty though.

My Tank is 6.5 Galleons or about 27 Litres. It measures 51.5 cm x 24 cm (h) x 21.5 cm (d)

The heaters set at 26 degrees, it currently has no filter or air pump but I can get one if needed.

Emma

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a betta in a 5 gal who shares his home with an african dwarf frog...and another betta in my community tank who shares his home with sparkling, honey and a dwarf gourami, and tetras....but that is a much larger tank with plenty of room to avoid each other. There was some squabbling in the beginning, mostly on the part of the betta....but all is fine now. I wouldn't recommend trying any of the fish you suggested in a 6.5 gal though. There won't be enough room for the betta and gourami's to avoid each other....the bristlenose get to 4-6" I believe, which is too big for that tank....he won't have much room to move around. I have heard bettas will eat neon tetras....mine are safe so far, but again....much larger tank. I know the neons were originally bought for my daughters 5 gal, they weren't happy there so I convinced her to let me put them in my large tank. Never had guppies, couldn't tell ya.
    Check into some of the small corys, like the pandas or pygmys that stay 2" or under, or a couple of adf's. The adf's take a long time to get over their shyness when you bring them home, but once they start running around the tank they are way too cute!
    Another thought is that I don't know if any type of cory would do well without filtration.....but adf's are frequently kept in setups similar to bettas with frequent water changes and aeration.
    Just keep researching.....eventually you will find the proper tank mate for your betta.

0 Not allowed!
    Well we dont ahve "african dwarf frogs" here I actually dont know what the heck they are, but i'm assuming they are real frogs. My reptile license only allows the keeping of two level one animals and I already ahve a Beardie and a Bluie so thats out

Emma

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, african dwarf frogs are real frogs....little bitty goomers that live totally aquatic. Here are some pics of mine....they are everywhere around here.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I use to have a betta with neon tetra and even with guppy, but that was on my 30 gallon tank. I'm not sure that you have enough room to do wha t I did

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Your reptile licence only allows u to have certain reptiles, you wouldnt happen to be an aussie would you?

0 Not allowed!
    Not sure that you need a reptile license to keep dwarf claw frogs. I know that you don't in some countries with reptile licenses anyway.

0 Not allowed!
    Yah, i'm an aussie. Oky doky i get ya, I do need a licence for me, I'd rather not go through teh whole registration thing again. We've had to do it for both our lizards and takes forever

Emma

0 Not allowed!
    Can someone give me a definate answer?

So gouramis are territorial and cannot be put with them
    Nor can Bristlenosed cat fish

What CAN go with one? also the cory catfish, do they need a bubbler? i dont really like them that much, but wated to cheeck. I'm not one for plain fish i like bright colours

What about Platys, could I get a couple of them?

Emma

0 Not allowed!
    Jsut wait, apparently pearl gouramis are fine with them? I'd luurve a pearl gourami