· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My best guess is black beard/hair/brush algae....

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    bluegreenalgae.jpg This is more or less what my blue-green algae looked like
    2009+10+19_0026bba.jpg And this is more or less what my black beard algae looks like. It's actually very slippery and slimy in person, and in contrast to cyanobacteria, will never come off anything for me unless I take the rock out and scrub hard. The BBA does not grow on the glass for me, and I don't recall the cyano ever growing on my glass.
    It's too bad the algae killer hasn't worked! :( I accidentally overdosed the whole tank and it went away in about 2 weeks as I recall.
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe a little more information about the set-up can help to make some recommendation to get rid of your algae if you are certain it is not cayno

How often to you clean your substrate?
    You had mentioned it had been about 6 weeks since your last water change, but how often and how much water do you change ?
    How often do you clean your filter ?
    What type of lighting do you have ?
    How log is your lighting on for ?
    What type of plant ferts are you dosing ?
    What are your current water parameters ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here is some more information:

Every time I do a water change I will "clean" the substrate. It has a sand base so I can only do so much without disrupting the tank. Sand get's turned about every 6 months

I try not to go 6 weeks without a water change, but it has happened in the past and all was alright. I shoot for every 2-3 weeks and I will pull about 12-15 gallons.

The foam in the filter gets rinsed out with luke warm water about every 4 weeks, while the media (ammo chips, carbon, and bio) get changed every 3 months or so (bio as needed)

My hood holds two T5 tubes (both are operable and plant growth is good)

The light is generally on for 10-12 hours a day and it gets some sunlight (this could not be avoided)

I use a blackwater additive "Green Brighty" Step 1 I dose about 4 pumps every two weeks (the whole bottle is in Japanese so it's anyone's guess to the recommended dose)

Current water tests:

Ammonia is about 1ppm
    PH about 7.6
    Nitrate: about 1ppm
    Nitrite: 0ppm

Test was done prior to a water change and after dosing for blue green algae. I will post the parameters after I do a water change as well.

My main algae problem looks identical to the second picture.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    After a 20 gallon water change here are the results:

Ammonia: .25ppm
    PH: still 7.6
    Nitrate: Still right about 1ppm
    Nitrite: Still reads 0

I use aquarium salt as well. Temperature sits right about 78

3 Not allowed!
    Here are a few suggestions which will help

-Start changing your water at least once a week and as much as you can, well over 50% would be best
    -Clean your substrate very well with each cleaning
    -Stop changing your bio-media. Only lightly clean it off every 2 to 3 weeks with old tank water, This is the likely cause for the high ammonia levels
    -Test your water every few days and change at least 50% when the ammonia and/or nitrites get over 0.25ppm
    -Clean all over filter media in old tank water from now on
    -Cut back your lighting to about 6 to 8 hours a day
    -Cut back a little on the feedings for the next week or two
    -Stop using the additive to kill off the algae for now

All of the above suggestion will help to remove nitrates from the water before the algae can consume it along with slowing down the growth
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3 Not allowed!
    +1 - if you keep changing your biomedia, you keep tossing out the beneficial bacteria that are there to "eat" the fish's waste and you are cycling your tank all over again. All filter manufacturers will advise you to replace your biomedia because that's how they make money off of you - rinsing in tank water what you already have is what you need to do per Cliff - and since you appear to be cycling your tank right now, there is no need to touch any media at all.
    Excessive light will lead to algae growth
    I don't think we know how often you are feeding your fish, but many members feed once a day (just enough to be eaten in about 2-3min) and fast their fish once or twice a week - the less leftover food, the better.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I will start all of that. As for the media, it's changed as it is needed. Which ends up being several months apart.

0 Not allowed!
    What do you mean "as needed" ? - there should be no need to ever change your biological media, unless it's totally falling apart. Even if it looks really cruddy - I also noticed you keep carbon & ammo chips in there? Carbon is only needed to remove medication from the tank - it is pretty useless otherwise - you can replace it with more bio media - what are the ammo chips for? Ammonia is easily removed via water changes or...as you have been advised...keep your filter media in the filter.

Even my sponges I haven't ever replaced (in almost 3 yrs)- I squeeze them out every few months in tank water to make sure the water is able to flow through them adequately and back in they go!
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies