· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Making the jump

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the award - Brookfish Thanks for the rep :-) - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas! - The Red Severum merry christmas - mommy1 Seasons greetings have a great christmas - Celtic Fins 
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat Happy Holidays! - King Tut Merry Christmas! - rich311k Wishing You A Very Happy New Year!!! - Jill Happy New year. - Celtic Fins 
    Happy New Year to the forum 'funny' guy. AKA...MR. NYLONS. - gabbyguppy Congratulations on your rep star - Celtic Fins Another round for my friends - mommy1 Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1 After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 
    Hope you are well man - robflanker Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy Birthday - mommy1 Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Jaster Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Jaster 

Default Making the jump

0 Not allowed!
    Well after a lot of thought I've decided to make the jump into Discus head first. My wife fell in love with two we found at our local fish store and if I wanted to be a happy hubby weren't leaving without them... needless to say...
    I've done enough reading to know you need more than two so I ordered three more from Live Aquaria. Figured that would give us 5 in a 55g. Cant be that easy... I got 1 from Live Aquaria and the other two are back ordered. So I hope in about a week I'll get another 2. My LFS has some coming in next week too so might get one there... but so far this is what I have...

Two blue checkerboard...

and this guy... who's changed colors on me so I'm not really sure what he is... Blue snakeskin maybe?

I have a Red Turquoise and a Royal Red coming I hope soon. Then maybe whatever I find at my LFS.

So these guys are about 3 inches in size so fare and are hanging in a 55g with an adult BN. Couple of fake plants right now. Might do real plants later on. They've only been here a couple days so they're still a bit shy. Had to bribe them with some beefheart to get the out for pictures. lol
    Angel breeder wanna-be

2. Default Making the jump

0 Not allowed!
    Ahhh welcome to discus!! You should read up on caring for young discus in some of the sticks. I highly recommend some real plants! Not too demanding and eat nitrates which your discus will appreciate. Congratulations! And don't worry about color change. That happens with backgrounds and sometime when light hits them at different angles.
    Last edited by Fish from Filly; 11-18-2013 at 05:16 AM.
    Check out my 55 Gallon, planted, Philly themed community tank! Rummynose and Cardinals, dwarf cichlids, plecos, shrimps

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the award - Brookfish Thanks for the rep :-) - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas! - The Red Severum merry christmas - mommy1 Seasons greetings have a great christmas - Celtic Fins 
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat Happy Holidays! - King Tut Merry Christmas! - rich311k Wishing You A Very Happy New Year!!! - Jill Happy New year. - Celtic Fins 
    Happy New Year to the forum 'funny' guy. AKA...MR. NYLONS. - gabbyguppy Congratulations on your rep star - Celtic Fins Another round for my friends - mommy1 Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1 After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 
    Hope you are well man - robflanker Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy Birthday - mommy1 Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Jaster Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Jaster 

0 Not allowed!
    Oh I have been... Been wanting to do this for a while but always been worried about killing them. The more I read though it doesn't seem so tough. Good water and good food (which I do anyway for breeding angels) so I'm not really doing anything really special. Added a couple extra water changes for that tank and extra feedings.
    As for the plants, ya I want to. Need to upgrade the lights and figure out what plants. Have to stop buying expensive fish too... lmao
    Angel breeder wanna-be

0 Not allowed!
    Awh, baby discus, cute!!

Keeping discuss isn't the black art it seemed to be in the last century if you got decent tap water. (if you don't then might as well save yourself many headaches and start saving for an RO system now).
    A good sized cannister filter, reduntant heaters and maybe a battery powered pump or two just in case. Additional advantage is that these fish are very well documented.

Now... perhaps this sounds snobbish but the best discus tanks I've seen were pretty minimalist. Pool filter sand on the bottom with some sterbai cories in it. Some smooth driftwood sticks, a few echinodorus and a few clumps of vallis and you're there.

0 Not allowed!
    Hey Nylons, congrats on making the jump to discus. It's a natural progression from angels, IMHO. Best of luck with them
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz 
    In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats on the little ones! As stated above you may want to go with a bit of pfs for the substrate or even bare bottom until they have grown out a bit. The gravel may be difficult to keep clean with all the extra feedings and poop. I've never had angels before but can tell you that discus poop a LOT lol :D

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    With as much as they eat I've noticed that it goes in one end and come out the other... they're as bad as my kids. lol

Hey Taurus! Ya it was time... give me a month I'll have breeding set up for these guys too knowing me... lol

The tap water isn't too bad... not great but I've seen worse. Been thinking about a RO for the angels too but I've had to stall out the fish room idea for a bit. I have a few battery pumps and I'm looking into either a small generator or power pack. Has a scare not long ago with power and it was a nightmare trying to keep 11 angel tanks going with no power for 12 hours.

I tried to explain to my lovely wife that bare bottom would be ok for now but... she didn't like it... anyone married already know how that one went. lol

Thanks for the compliments and tips all! Anyone have any good sites for buying discus? I really like Live Aquaria but they're always backordered...
    Angel breeder wanna-be

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz 
    In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    Here's a link to the supplier for the discus I have

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=110441
    PREVIEW - NOV 2013 Forrest shipment

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaster View Post

The tap water isn't too bad... not great but I've seen worse. Been thinking about a RO for the angels too but I've had to stall out the fish room idea for a bit. I have a few battery pumps and I'm looking into either a small generator or power pack. Has a scare not long ago with power and it was a nightmare trying to keep 11 angel tanks going with no power for 12 hours.
    Might as well get a small generator with that many tanks. Don't know about over there but a simple one goes for around a 125 euros here. Enough to run your filters at least and some of the heaters. Add a few rolls of big bubblewrap and you should be prepared for misfortune

I tried to explain to my lovely wife that bare bottom would be ok for now but... she didn't like it... anyone married already know how that one went. lol

Thanks for the compliments and tips all! Anyone have any good sites for buying discus? I really like Live Aquaria but they're always backordered...
    Filter sand is easy enough. There's a guy up in the north-east of your country who sells Stendker. PErhaps that's something?