· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default What is raising my pH?

0 Not allowed!
    I've just cycled my new tank. I tested the parameters, and ammonia and nitrite are 0 and nitrates were about 5ppm. I also tested pH and it was 8.2. I tested my tap water ph however and it comes out as 7.5. Any idea why my tank's pH is much higher?

The fish in there stills seem pretty happy right now, and I know that fish can acclimate to changes as long as they are gradual, but I'd like to gain some insight on what is possibly raising the levels. Thanks!

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 lets see if you cann see this - William another test - William hope this works - William hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher 
    It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Do you have any limestone rocks in your tank?

Those would raise the PH.

If not, I'd suggest next drawing some tap water and letting it sit for awhile and see if there is a change in the ph. It may be that from the tap it isn't buffered very well and so the ph would be less stable.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe its from my substrate? I read that crushed coral could increase pH? Should I change it?

0 Not allowed!
    Crushed coral and slate will raise pH. Change it if you're not planning on stocking alkaline-loving fish.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FishkeeperFenix View Post
    Maybe its from my substrate? I read that crushed coral could increase pH? Should I change it?
    :) it causes PH to skyrocket to 8, 8.5. It's used in marine tanks just for that. So... you're looking at a rebuild.

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above posts

Crushed coral will leach out calcium (and other minerals) when used in fresh water aquariums which will cause you pH to climb. Same thing applies to marine substrates when used in freshwater tanks.

I would suggest changing your substrate as well

Just make sure you don't put your fish though drastic pH swings through the process
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Also, reading up on the chemistry of ph and buffers might be time well spend.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What kind of fish do you have? For instance, if you have an African cichlid tank, that ph is actually good.

55g African Cichlid tank -
    29g Community tank -