· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default American cichlid tank!! Help!!

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys I'm a new guy here. I literally just registered a few minutes ago just because I would love to learn more about this hobby from all you experienced hobbyist. So I just bought a brand new 75 gallon tank with dimensions of 48x18x20 and I am planning on putting american cichlids in it. To be more specific, these are the fish I want to put in there. 1 tiger oscar, 1 red oscar, 2 electric blue jack dempseys, and 2 green terrors. Would this be ok? I have a Fluval FX6 filter so filtration is GREAT! I would like to know all your opinions whether it is good or bad.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

1 Not allowed!
    In a 75 gallon tank you could put 1 oscar OR 2 EBJD's OR, if you are lucky, the 2 green terrors. All these fish are way to aggressive and/or territorial to put them all together in a tank that small. Except maybe the EBJD's, which I hear are less aggressive than regular JD's, but if you put them in with those tank mates, they won't live too long.
    Last edited by mommy1; 11-16-2013 at 07:03 AM.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

1 Not allowed!
    +1 to the advice above. oscars grow too fast and are too aggressive to keep them with tankmates in a 75.
    Thar she blows!!!

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with the above. I think a 75 is a bit of a squeeze for one oscar.

What is your tap water like? Do you know if you have hard or soft water? Do you know what the pH is? We can probably suggest some suitable stock for your new tank.

Are you looking for fish with character and personality (guessing this from the large SA choices you have so far)?
    Are you looking for colour?
    Plants?
    Rocks?

What kind of things do you like in other tanks, say, if you Google Imaged a few aquariums online.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The main thing I want to get is the oscar. What tankmates can I put with it if i just got one oscar. im looking for fish that have great personality and colour. I have a lot of lava rocks so i can make a lot of hiding places for the smaller fish. I just dont want to have a 75 gallon tank and have one small oscar in it. It would look so empty for so long until the oscar grows. Plus I keep the water pretty clean, I do 50 percent water changes on my other tanks already and im planning on doing the same my new 75 gallon.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh and I forgot to add that I do the 50% water changes once a week so my waters stays quite clean all the time

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

1 Not allowed!
    1 oscar for a 75 gallon, no tankmates. It won't look empty for long, oscars grow pretty fast.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry for the late reply I have been busy. Thank you guys for your help! I decided that I'm going to go with one tiger oscar and one electric blue jack dempsey. I know you said one oscar for my tank but I just cant enjoy having a 75 gallon tank with one fish in it haha. I will make sure to try and keep them as healthy as possible. Another question I had is about filtration and filter media. I have a fluval fx6 and I was just wondering if it is enough filtration for my tank? And what filter media should I use? I have one of the trays full of bio max and the top tray with the sponges that the fx6 came with. What should I put in the third tray? Or what should I put in the filter overall?

Awards Showcase

2 Not allowed!
    It's not about what you enjoy, it's about what your fish enjoy, otherwise I would have all sorts of crazy combinations of fish in my tanks. Be sure to get the fish very young and introduce them into the tank at the same time. Give them some rocks and driftwood to hide behind and establish territories and hope for the best, but prepare for the worst and have a back up plan for when they start to kill each other.
    An FX6 filter is great for the size tank you have and if it were mine I would fill the third chamber with more bio-max, but someone may come along with a better plan.