· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Lighting

1. Default Lighting

0 Not allowed!
    I'm new to the hobby but looking to set up some live plants in my tank. I wasn't thinking about plants when I bought my tank. It is a 20 gallon tank made by Marineland. It came with the light, hood, filter, etc. I looked through the booklet that came with it and can't find any information on the wattage of the light. Is it a good assumption that the light isn't sufficient for live plants? The tank gets some indirect sunlight during the day. Does that count for anything?

0 Not allowed!
    The wattage should be printed on the bulb.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

3. Default

3 Not allowed!
    IME with Mareineland tanks, it comes with LED single-bright lights. Also in my experience, they do pretty well at growing low to medium light plants with no ferts or CO2, much better than the lights that come with Aqueon tanks. The indirect sunlight will maybe be a problem, perhaps resulting in some algae. Just keep an eye on it.
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys! Yes, it came with the LED single-bright lights. I looked all over and couldn't find a wattage, but since it is LED I'm assuming it's fairly low. Thanks so much for reporting your experience growing low to medium light plants; that gives me some confidence I can try some live plants. And I certainly keep an eye out for algae.

5. Default

2 Not allowed!
    You might want to try some Anubis nana and java fern - both of which you can simply tie onto driftwood if you like. Both should do well in your tank. Also hornwort is always good - you can either float it or drape it under a driftwood branch of tuck a stem in the substrate. it's great for helping control nitrates.

The indirect sunlight may cause an algae issue depending on how much and how strong. You'll know soon enough :o)

How do you plan to cycle your tank? See my signature line for explanations of both the fish in and fishless cycle.

Also feel free to ask about what you plan to stock. I know when I first started I had no idea what fish would work together - even after doing a lot of reading LOL
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks fishmommie, excellent info on recommendations for the types of plants. My tank has been up and running for about 3 months now and is cycled. When I test the water I get 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and about 20 ppm nitrates. Unfortunately, I had no idea there was so much to keeping an aquarium when I started. I have 5 glowlight Danios, 5 red minor tetras, 4 sterbai cory catfish, and a dwarf gourami. I liked the looks of the fish and was told that would work and didn't know enough to question anything. Nosing around this forum I have learned so much and now realize I probably stressed the fish quite a bit in the beginning while the tank was cycling.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yep. Your tank is definitely cycled. Sounds like a pretty tank. Normally I would recommend upping all of your schools to 6 minimum each but you're already got plenty of fish in your 20 gal. You will have to watch your nitrates and not let them get above 20ppm. Not sure how often you're doing water changes but I'd rec 50% weekly for that tank.
    Good luck and glad you're enjoying your fish
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks. Yeah, I might even be a little overstocked but just didn't know what I was doing in the beginning. I do a water change every week, but haven't been doing as much as 50%. Good advice. I got interested in live plants because I like how they look and add another level of care to the tank, but it's nice to know they can help with nitrates as well.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    In case anyone finds this thread with a similar question, I found somewhere online that the Marineland 20 gallon LED light is 4.62 watts. I've had my plants in there for a little over a month and my anubias nana is growing like crazy and my java fern is doing ok. It's been real fun watching the anubias nana.