· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiara1125 View Post
    I've had both. I've had two male gouramis and one female German blue ram. Honestly, I love the colors and inquisitiveness of the GBRs. I've found that many tend to be like this. A lot of people say that GBRs *need* pristine water, but I've found that that is not truly the case. You see, I will admit that I had my GBR in with 3 goldfish and an angelfish. She was the sweetest fish in that tank and no one picked on her, not even the female bettas. She lived for quite some time and actually died due to a mistake that I made. I out a terra cotta pot too close to the side of the tank. She wedged herself in between the two and got stuck. I felt terrible, because you could clearly see how she squished herself. It was awful ...
    Kiara1125 How long did you keep the GBR for?

GBR are very sensitive and NEED, I repeat NEED, pristine water. Do not waste your money if you are not willing to meet their standards. Keeping pristine water is not very hard at all. All you have to do is Just maintain a weekly water change schedule. Do a minimum of 20% water change and do not overstock your tanks and there you have it a pristine aquarium. Also keep in mind that GBR do best in soft acidic water ph around 6.5.
    Roll the Dice!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know if I'd have a DG again. The one I had a while ago bullied everything else in the tank into hiding.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi there :-)
    Thank you so much for your advice- My tank is fully cycled and i have had it for about a year- i regularly test water levels and my tank has been stable for quite awhile.
    My 4 Ottocats are doing very well. I've had them a few weeks now, and i have had my albino cories for a year, perhaps longer- and they are well.
    Thank you for the advice about newly cycled tank. When my tanks were new that would have helped me alot. I still think it's excellent advice.
    As I have noticed that the GBR is a sensitive fish, I will not get one until I am satisfied that I can maintain the tank at the levels best for all of the fish in my tank. So far the levels have been stable for months although testing the water levels yesterday I noticed the pH was slightly elevated in both tanks. I will be watching all my levels with that seeming to be coming from an increase in pH from the tap water.
    I also have fish who are swimming in the mid-upper tank levels, so the addition of the GBR will fit nicely to swim at the bottom of the tank.
    I do have a large cory- he was one of my first fish. I may add another one of those instead of increasing the number of albino cory cats. A sudden thought is do the larger ones need to be in groups of 6 or higher? He's done so well on his own- he was a rescue from another fishtank. Thanks for the heads up on the numbers needed for the happiness of the albinos.
    I went looking at my local Aquarium supply store and they had no GBR- I would not have bought one, but i'm thinking of buying one within the next two months.
    Thanks for taking the time to share your advice- I have appreciated it and will keep it in mind.
    Who Rescued Who?

Don't shop; Adopt!
    --FISH ARE FRIENDS NOT FOOD--

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gogi View Post
    Kiara1125 How long did you keep the GBR for?

GBR are very sensitive and NEED, I repeat NEED, pristine water. Do not waste your money if you are not willing to meet their standards. Keeping pristine water is not very hard at all. All you have to do is Just maintain a weekly water change schedule. Do a minimum of 20% water change and do not overstock your tanks and there you have it a pristine aquarium. Also keep in mind that GBR do best in soft acidic water ph around 6.5.
    Hi there
    I also find that pristine water is not that difficult. I have all the time in the world to care for my tank. I have a regimen already of testing and doing water changes every week. If i think something is wrong i fix it.
    Thanks i will keep in mind that they need a pH level of 6.5 and i will not buy a GBR until my pH levels are back where they should be- a water level taken yesterday showed an unusually high pH level for the norms of my tank- the same level in both tanks so i tested the tap water and it too showed the same pH level. I'm guessing that's the culprit. :-)
    Thanks again for replying.
    Who Rescued Who?

Don't shop; Adopt!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kilyth View Post
    I don't know if I'd have a DG again. The one I had a while ago bullied everything else in the tank into hiding.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply- it seems that is a fairly common experience unfortunately.
    Who Rescued Who?

Don't shop; Adopt!

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

1 Not allowed!
    If you can keep Cardinals your water parameters will do just nicely for a Ram. My pH is 7.8 and so is the pH at the local lfs. I drip acclimate all my stock and have not had an issue with pH affecting them. A stable pH is better then trying to maintain a preferred pH, thats what I've learned from this site. It makes sense.
    I do agree with having an aged set-up for Rams, yours being a year old is aged.
    I hope your able to find one in your area Misse. They just seem to bring out a tank with their behaviour.
    Last edited by Strider199; 11-18-2013 at 11:44 PM.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

Awards Showcase

TGIF on the 13th with a full moon. - Taurus Spurs! - RiversGirl Here's a get well soon beer, so get well ASAP. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 feelin your pain - SeaLady 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus 
    Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady 
    the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    + 1 to Striders advice.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hello and thank you everyone for giving me great advice.
    My tank is shaping up nicely and my next step is to add Cory Catfish.
    So i ask you, keeping in mind the goal of a German Blue and the two more Pygmy Rainbowfish- how many should i get in a well maintained 30g tank? I already have one albino Cory and i love it, and i have a larger cory and don't know what kind he is except that he's full grown and peaceful.
    Should I get 4 or 5 albino cory cats or 1 or 2 of the larger cories?
    I'm not sure how to proceed.
    Any and all advice is welcome.

Who Rescued Who?

Don't shop; Adopt!

Awards Showcase

TGIF on the 13th with a full moon. - Taurus Spurs! - RiversGirl Here's a get well soon beer, so get well ASAP. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 feelin your pain - SeaLady 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus 
    Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady 
    the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

2 Not allowed!
    I'd get 4 more albino cory's.

By the way for those that have not seen them, the Pygmy rainbowfish is a real little beauty. I've never seen them for sale here in the U.S., so good find for you.

Just to let people see what they are missing out on:

Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

10. Talking

0 Not allowed!
    I'm really hoping that the store where i found my four pygmy rainbowfish still has some because I'd need 2 more to make it a nice group. My problem, however, is determining the male to female ratio that i already have in my tank because it affects the sex of the two i get to fill out the rainbow community.
    I know that i have two females- they have strongly orange fins- and i know i have at least one male. So the 4th one i am really unsure. It's flighty and stays hidden alot of the time and i can't think why. The tank is in a quiet area of the house and it is filled with very calm fish.
    Thanks for adding the video- lovely to watch. Mine are irridescent on their bodies, the colour that plays across their bodies is like looking at the northern lights. Simply WOW!!

Who Rescued Who?

Don't shop; Adopt!