Aquarium Forum
 


Menu
  · Tropical Fish Home
· Fish News
· Aquarium Forum
· Buy & Sell
· Calculators
· Equipment reviews
· Free Aquarium Ebook
· Feedback
· Link to us
· Photo gallery
· Plant species
· Tropica Plant DB
Tropical fish species
· By Common name
· By Scientific name
Tropical Marine fish
· By Common name
· By Scientific name

_________________
 
      
        Via paypal

  AC news is a part of
      Nature Blog Network

      Reef Aquarium Blog

Privacy & Ad Policy

Articles
  · African Cichlids
· Algae Control
· Aquarium Decoration
· Aquarium Resources
· Aquatic Plants
· Barb Fish
· Betta Fish
· Breeding Fish
· Catfish
· Central American Cichlids
· Cichlids
· Clownfish
· Corals
· Corydoras Catfish
· Discus Fish
· Dwarf Cichlids
· Fish Diseases
· Frogs and Turtles
· Goby Fish
· Goldfish
· Gourami
· Invertebrates
· Jellyfish
· Killiefish
· Lake Victoria Cichlids
· Livebearers
· Malawi Cichlids
· Marine Aquariums
· Marine Aquarium Fish
· Other Fish
· Pleco
· Predatory Fish
· Photography
· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. Question Dwarf Gourami or German Blue Ram as a Centerpiece Fish?


    0 Not allowed!
    Hi
    I am revamping my 30g freshwater tank and I am wondering what the pros and cons are between a Dwarf Gourami and a German Blue Ram as a centerpiece fish?

    Their companions will all be fairly peaceful fish: 9 Cardinal Tetras, 6 Pygmy Rainbowfish and some bottom feeders: 4 (possibly only 3) Ottocats, 2 Albino Cory Catfish and 1 Peppered Cory Catfish.

    My tank will have a relatively dense patch of real and fake plants, I will add a couple of good hiding spots and there will be a clearer area for the fish to swim. I do weekly water changes, and am not adverse to doing twice weekly water changes. The tank is filtered with a Fluval 206 Canister Filter- i can add water levels and media choice to this list if anyone asks and/or it becomes necessary.

    So it comes to me wanting a bit of spice in my tank, and i am asking anyone who has experience with the German Blue Ram and/or the Dwarf Gourami to help me to decide on which suits the tank population more as well as to let me know any general care tips.

    Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by Misse; 11-15-2013 at 07:58 PM. Reason: accidentally hit enter and it posted before i had finished.
    Who Rescued Who?

    Don't shop; Adopt!
    --FISH ARE FRIENDS NOT FOOD--

  2. Default


    1 Not allowed!
    I've had both. I've had two male gouramis and one female German blue ram. Honestly, I love the colors and inquisitiveness of the GBRs. I've found that many tend to be like this. A lot of people say that GBRs *need* pristine water, but I've found that that is not truly the case. You see, I will admit that I had my GBR in with 3 goldfish and an angelfish. She was the sweetest fish in that tank and no one picked on her, not even the female bettas. She lived for quite some time and actually died due to a mistake that I made. I out a terra cotta pot too close to the side of the tank. She wedged herself in between the two and got stuck. I felt terrible, because you could clearly see how she squished herself. It was awful ...

    Onto brighter news! I like how DGs will examine things with their feelers and spit water at food above the water line [I have a video if you're interested]. I like how GBRs will follow your finger and tend to be very hyper in a way. Honestly, I think a male GBR would suit that tank perfectly. The black spot on the abdomen and dorsal would contrast lovingly well with the cardinals. They are not aggressive to other fish, nor have a "territory" when there's only one DG/GBR in the tank. This is my experience and what I've heard. DGs will possibly build a bubblenest in your tank, which is actually good competition for bettas. I'm still trying to decide if my male DG built a better nest than my bettas ever did. xD

    So, I do believe, and will stick with the thought, that a male German blue ram would be perfect for your tank. But, that doesn't mean that the dwarf gourami is completely out of the question. I think it all comes down to what you can find first and if it's healthy or not. It doesn't always matter how pretty the fish is, but the general health of it too. Perked up fins and activity is key!

    Good luck in your search! I hope my input helps!
    Goldfish Lover

    Machete - ♀ 3 year old orange fantail
    Tanchi - ♀ 2 year old red/white ryukin [white is currently taking over the red]
    Denali - ♂ 2 year old black moor [pitch black]
    Ricochet - ♂ 1 year old calico lionhead
    Legacy - ♀[?] <1 year old calico fantail


  3. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I've had dwarf gouramis in the past, and I have a bolivian ram now. I love both, and IMO, a German Blue Ram is more colorful, but a dwarf gourami has more character, almost like a dog. Don't get me wrong: both fish seem to really have personalities, but I really like how the gourami plays with things with its feelers. Also, the gourami, usually venturing all over the place in your tank, would be less shy in your tank than a German Blue Ram might be, coupled with the activity with your rainbowfish. The GBR usually spends its time from the middle to lower reaches of the tank anyway.
    Also, i've found (compared to my bolivian Ram) that gouramis are more adaptable to pH. GBRs especially love a lower pH, whereas with a dwarf gourami, their colors will shine in pretty much any pH.
    I agree that while GBRs don't perhaps need "pristine" conditions all the time (although of course that would be best), they need better conditions than the gourami does, because again, the gourami is more adaptable. Plus, the gourami is a labyrinth fish like a betta, so it can and will breathe air from outside the tank (another character feature!).
    Overall, for your tank, I would suggest a dwarf gourami. But, of course, the final decision is up to you, and you can't go wrong with either of them. Keep us posted!
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

  4. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I have recently gotten myself 2 golden rams and 1 electric blue, and would recommend them to anybody, whether they asked or not They're beautiful fish and such characters! Dwarf gouramis are nice, but they just don't hold that appeal for me. My big male ram is very active, always within view, and is proving to be a fantastic feature fish. So my vote goes to the Ram. Although the above poster did make a great point that it really depends on what's the healthiest fish you can find :)

  5. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Dwarf Gouramis are prone to Dwarf gourami Disease. Big amount of the fish imported from Asia (most are) are infected. I like DG's very much, but are by far most getting ill after some time !! A teal shame but reality !! I'd go for rams.
    No Cory, No Glory !!

  6. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiara1125 View Post
    I've had both. I've had two male gouramis and one female German blue ram. Honestly, I love the colors and inquisitiveness of the GBRs. I've found that many tend to be like this. A lot of people say that GBRs *need* pristine water, but I've found that that is not truly the case. You see, I will admit that I had my GBR in with 3 goldfish and an angelfish. She was the sweetest fish in that tank and no one picked on her, not even the female bettas. She lived for quite some time and actually died due to a mistake that I made. I out a terra cotta pot too close to the side of the tank. She wedged herself in between the two and got stuck. I felt terrible, because you could clearly see how she squished herself. It was awful ...

    Onto brighter news! I like how DGs will examine things with their feelers and spit water at food above the water line [I have a video if you're interested]. I like how GBRs will follow your finger and tend to be very hyper in a way. Honestly, I think a male GBR would suit that tank perfectly. The black spot on the abdomen and dorsal would contrast lovingly well with the cardinals. They are not aggressive to other fish, nor have a "territory" when there's only one DG/GBR in the tank. This is my experience and what I've heard. DGs will possibly build a bubblenest in your tank, which is actually good competition for bettas. I'm still trying to decide if my male DG built a better nest than my bettas ever did. xD

    So, I do believe, and will stick with the thought, that a male German blue ram would be perfect for your tank. But, that doesn't mean that the dwarf gourami is completely out of the question. I think it all comes down to what you can find first and if it's healthy or not. It doesn't always matter how pretty the fish is, but the general health of it too. Perked up fins and activity is key!

    Good luck in your search! I hope my input helps!
    Thank you so much for your input! I am so glad to find a forum where people love their fish as much as i do. I am leaning towards the GBR and in my research i have noticed that water quality is often mentioned. I'm not very bothered by this as you, and others, have said that the GBR is not such a difficult fish after all. I am pleased to hear of a Betta like personality- I have a Betta (in his own 10g planted tank) and i thoroughly enjoy him.
    So thanks for taking the time to respond- it has helped alot.
    Who Rescued Who?

    Don't shop; Adopt!
    --FISH ARE FRIENDS NOT FOOD--

  7. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eika View Post
    I have recently gotten myself 2 golden rams and 1 electric blue, and would recommend them to anybody, whether they asked or not They're beautiful fish and such characters! Dwarf gouramis are nice, but they just don't hold that appeal for me. My big male ram is very active, always within view, and is proving to be a fantastic feature fish. So my vote goes to the Ram. Although the above poster did make a great point that it really depends on what's the healthiest fish you can find :)
    Hi there.
    Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.
    I had been leaning towards the GBR- but i was waiting to see other folk's opinions.
    I really like to hear that they have such personality. However as you said, a healthy fish is key- but i think i can wait for the right GBR to show up- there is only one fish store near here (other than the large chains that have a fish section) and i'm not sure how common it is to find one. I am patient though. lol.
    Thanks!
    Who Rescued Who?

    Don't shop; Adopt!
    --FISH ARE FRIENDS NOT FOOD--

  8. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDutch View Post
    Dwarf Gouramis are prone to Dwarf gourami Disease. Big amount of the fish imported from Asia (most are) are infected. I like DG's very much, but are by far most getting ill after some time !! A teal shame but reality !! I'd go for rams.
    Hi there and thank you very much. I believe i'll be looking in fish stores in a week or two for the German Blue Ram.
    Thanks again.
    Who Rescued Who?

    Don't shop; Adopt!
    --FISH ARE FRIENDS NOT FOOD--

  9. Default


    1 Not allowed!
    I've had both GBR and DW gourami. Love them both. In my experience the DW gourami is much more adaptable as was said above.
    I have no doubt that you will do a great job keeping your tank clean, however, be aware that GBR's like a well established, mature tank. A recently cycled tank may not be the best environment for them as they are a bit fragile.

    Another thing of note:
    The Gourami will spend his time in the upper to mid range of the tank.
    The GBR will spend the bulk of his time toward the bottom of the tank.

    Also, unless your tank is mature, I wouldn't get ottos for a while. You need a build up of algae for them to eat.
    And cory cats prefer to be in a group of their own kind - with 6 being the minimum for a school. so I'd suggest you get either 6 albinos or 6 peppered and do make sure they have a spot to tuck in under..
    again - this is your call. just giving my best advice that I've received here or have myself experienced.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Gods Country
    Posts
    6,607

    Awards Showcase

    Spurs! - RiversGirl Here's a get well soon beer, so get well ASAP. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 feelin your pain - SeaLady Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl 
    TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl 
    And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    + 1 to FM, great info on both species.

    The Dwarf Gourami with all their "inbreeding" problems are still the less sensative to water conditons than the GBR if that will help you make your decision.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

    Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •