· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Question about API Freshwater Master Test Kit

0 Not allowed!
    I got my test kit today and checked all my levels. My pH is at 7.4, the ammonia read at 0ppm, and the nitrite read at 0ppm. The nitrate read at like 40ppm but I'm not entirely sure that I did the test correctly. All the other tests specifically say to remove the cap after shaking but the test for nitrate didn't say to do that so I left the cap on. Are you suppose to do that or should I redo without the cap while it sits? Is it normal to read 0 for ammonia and nitrite but have high nitrate?

1 Not allowed!
    I always leave the cap on, and my nitrate is accurate as far as I can tell.
    it is normal to read 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite, but some nitrate. as a matter of fact that is the sign of a cycled tank.
    however, nitrates still should not exceed 20 parts per million.

Awards Showcase

Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 
    Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx 
    Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above...I actually contacted API with that very question, cap-on or cap-off while waiting for results, and learned that it does not matter....

BTW, the instruction manual that comes with the kit isn't very "user friendly", to put it mildy...I made myself a little quick-read cheatsheet to use for testing, I can post it here if you'd like a look

And yeah, a PPM of 'trate at 40 means time for a PWC!
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

1 Not allowed!
    +1 to madagascariensis' post. Is this a tank with fish in it? If so, you need to do a 75% PWC to get those nitrates down to 10 ppm.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 
    Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx 
    Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    +1 to the above post. Is this a tank with fish in it? If so, you need to do a 75% PWC to get those nitrates down to 10 ppm.
    Oooops, me and gronlaura were typing at te same time!...of course she is correct, if fish ARE in there then a PWC is in order, the quicker the better
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Huzzah, a cycled tank! Is the pwc a needs-to-be-done-tonight urgency or would it be safe to wait until tomorrow when I can enlist my brother's manpower to get the water from point A to point B? Also, how do you keep nitrate levels down in your tank?

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by zombieaddict View Post
    Huzzah, a cycled tank! Is the pwc a needs-to-be-done-tonight urgency or would it be safe to wait until tomorrow when I can enlist my brother's manpower to get the water from point A to point B? Also, how do you keep nitrate levels down in your tank?
    I am assuming your tank has fish, right? Do it as early as possible tomorrow. The way to keep nitrates down is with consistent weekly 40-50% water changes. Also, some plants will help with nitrates and those members way more knowledgeable than I can help you with that.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    As long as you do your large water change my tomorrow (Friday), all should be fine.

How to keep the nitrates down; I do a water change every week of 25% for my freshwater tank.
    If your feeding your fish and you see uneaten food on the gravel or in the water column your feeding too much. Only put in enough food (once a day will do), that it is all eaten within a couple of minutes.
    Do you gravel vacuum the bottom of your tank during a water change?
    Live plants will also assist in keeping the nitrates down as they use this for nourishment.
    After you do your large water change, I would test for nitrates again the next day. If they are still over 10ppm, I would do another water change that day and test again the day after. No need to test for ammonia and nitrites at this time unless you add more fish or have a filter media malfunction.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

0 Not allowed!
    I keep the cap on the test-tube while shaking it and also during the time it's at rest and the color is developing. I also read it with the cap on by holding it vertically under a good light and placing it against the white space on the card beside the nitrate color blocks, so I'm looking in through the side of the tube. I find that if I take off the cap and try to look down into the tube from the top, the color is always darker than looking at it through the side. I would think that would skew the reading. Since API says it doesn't matter, I'll continue doing it this way, since taking off the cap runs the risk of spilling the contents.

Nitrates will build up in a tank in which the water isn't changed and the substrate isn't cleaned regularly, and in a filter that isn't kept clean. A prefilter sponge over the intake tube will keep the filter and its media cleaner longer. Live plants can help keep nitrates down, but regular maintenance is still necessary.

Some schools of thought put 40 ppm as the highest end of the safety margin. Ideally, you should regard 20 ppm the high limit and change the water before it gets there. Forty is pushing it. Fish are becoming stressed by then.
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by zombieaddict View Post
    Also, how do you keep nitrate levels down in your tank?
    Every tank tank will be a little different. I find weekly water changes of 50 to 75% as well as some plants seam to work very well for me. I can't even remember the last time my nitrates tested over 10 ppm. What ever you decide, just remember to test often so you can adjust along the way until you find what works for your tank .
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]