· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Question These types of fish and this aquarium?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi

I have undertaken a population change in my 30 gallon freshwater tank. It has weekly water changes and is fully cycled, it has some real plants and fake ones- I'd call it semi-planted. I have a fluval 206 canister filter and i can go into more detail as to the media if necessary.

I hope to be able to combine my school of 9 Cardinal Tetras with a smaller school of pygmy rainbowfish (I have 4 so far and as far as i can tell they look to be 3 males and perhaps a female, but it is hard to tell) and so far that's going well.

In the tank i also have 2 albino cory catfish, 1 peppered cory catfish, 3 otocats (i think the 4th one isn't doing well i haven't seen him in a while) and a butterfly pleco.

I would like to add a "Centerpiece fish" of some type. I was considering going with a fish larger than the ones i have now that has vibrant colours. I wouldn't want the fish to be so big that my other fish wind up hurt or dead-

I was considering perhaps a dwarf flame gourami- Would he do well as the only one? Would a flame gourami typically mix well with these other relatively peaceful fish?

I have tried researching this but it seems asking others may be the best way to learn.
    Who Rescued Who?

Don't shop; Adopt!
    --FISH ARE FRIENDS NOT FOOD--

0 Not allowed!
    Honestly, once you add some more of the rainbowfish, I can't see you having much room left for another larger fish - your pleco will already top out at 6-7inches from what I read about it. Maybe others will disagree - this is JMO.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh my gosh the pleco gets that big? I was told he is a miniature one! Eek! I think i may have to begin finding him a more compatible tank! I try to be responsible with my fish choices.

So if you remove him from the equation, approximately how many more rainbows (pygmy ones) could i get? Or should i have 2 more rainbowfish + 1 flame gourami? Do you happen to know how much waste rainbows produce compared to Gouramis and Cardinal Tetras?

I find that the more questions i ask, the more i learn- so please if i ask too many questions let me know. I read the "Stickies" at the top of this segment of the forum and it was very informative.

I was also wondering if perhaps i had to change my tank environment at all to suit the larger fish entering the mix- i believe i may be considered to be approaching intermediate level to do with aquariums and fish, and i chose some more varied fish types to spice up the tank. I am willing to make any changes necessary-
    Who Rescued Who?

Don't shop; Adopt!

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

3 Not allowed!
    Pygmy Rainbows get to 2" so adding 2 more would not add much to the bio-load. The Gourami on the other hand will add alot even thiugh it's a small fish but workable. Getty rid of the Pleco will help alot, I agree with Imma24, they get 5-7" depending on what source you read. The rest of the fish should work, if you keep up on your reagular weekly water changes.

Some people will tell you that mixing Cardinals (prefer lower pH) and Rainbowfish (prefer higher pH) will not work but as long as you keep a medium, stable pH everyyhing will be fine, IMO.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

5. Question additional questions...

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler1 View Post
    Pygmy Rainbows get to 2" so adding 2 more would not add much to the bio-load. The Gourami on the other hand will add alot even thiugh it's a small fish but workable. Getty rid of the Pleco will help alot, I agree with Imma24, they get 5-7" depending on what source you read. The rest of the fish should work, if you keep up on your reagular weekly water changes.

Some people will tell you that mixing Cardinals (prefer lower pH) and Rainbowfish (prefer higher pH) will not work but as long as you keep a medium, stable pH everyyhing will be fine, IMO.
    So the 9 Cardinals, 2 albino (tiny) cory catfish, 3 otocats, and the 4 pygmy rainbowfish in a partially planted tank could (in theory) handlre the addition of 2 more pygmy rainbow fish AND the single Gourami? this is while maintaining weekly water changes and faithfully documenting each water test?

thank you for your time.
    Who Rescued Who?

Don't shop; Adopt!

6. Red face Thanks JMO

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by imma24 View Post
    Honestly, once you add some more of the rainbowfish, I can't see you having much room left for another larger fish - your pleco will already top out at 6-7inches from what I read about it. Maybe others will disagree - this is JMO.
    Hi JMO

Is there any way a Cardinal/Rainbow/gourami mix would work?
    After removing the butterfly pleco, could it work with the 9 Cardinals, 6 pygmy rainbowfish and one gourami?
    I could always thin out my school of Cardinals to make it work-
    Any thoughts?
    thanks

-misse-
    Who Rescued Who?

Don't shop; Adopt!

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

1 Not allowed!
    Please do not thin out your school of Cardinals. They really do well in a school of 8 or more.
    From what I've read in this thread, it's the large size of the Pleco that members have an issue with adding a Gourami. If you can re-home that pleco there will be room for your Gourami and 2 more pygmy rainbows wont add that much extra bio-load. That 206 cannister filter can handle it.
    Keep up those weekly water changes and remember to do your filter maintenance and all should work out.
    Have you considered a German Blue Ram for a centre piece fish? They are colourful and peaceful towards other smaller species.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to everything Strider just advised you.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi there

I want to thank you for your advice- I am already working on a very good home for my butterfly pleco. For the moment i will not add any more fish as i was advised to slowly build up the number of fish and not add too many at a time- the 4 rainbows are fairly new and so very lovely to watch.
    I will not thin out my Cardinals- they are healthy and happy.
    Aren't German Blue Rams a cichlid? I was under the impression that cichlids are fairly aggressive but i will look into it further and if their needs are similar to my schools then it's definitely an option.
    Thanks again.
    Who Rescued Who?

Don't shop; Adopt!

Awards Showcase

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Misse View Post
    Hi there

I want to thank you for your advice- I am already working on a very good home for my butterfly pleco. For the moment i will not add any more fish as i was advised to slowly build up the number of fish and not add too many at a time- the 4 rainbows are fairly new and so very lovely to watch.
    I will not thin out my Cardinals- they are healthy and happy.
    Aren't German Blue Rams a cichlid? I was under the impression that cichlids are fairly aggressive but i will look into it further and if their needs are similar to my schools then it's definitely an option.
    Thanks again.
    They are pretty docile for the Cichlid family as are alot of the dwarf varietys.
    -Vince Lombardi