· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would like to hear any comparisons on how this mixture compares to purchased/processed foods, as far as better growth, color, vitality, etc.

0 Not allowed!
    Here's my recipe for fish food. It's intended for Ancistrus but should work with most vegetarian bottom feeders. If you're in the USA and you want to make this see if you can find organic vegetables.

1 cup of green vegetables
    Spirulina powder
    tetra crips (or flake)
    (dried) garlic
    1/2 cup of water
    2 grams of Agar powder (enoug agar to set half a liter of liquid to jam like consistency)

I took a cup of green vegetables, in this case about a hand full of shelled frozen peas, some broccoli, some courgette and some frozen spinach to that I added some left over fresh coriander that had seen better days. You could also use some Dandelion leafs or even some nettle.
    Shell the peas (frozen peas are fine, don't use canned!) by pouring some boiling water over them and leave them for 10 minutes. You can then easily squeeze the skins of.
    Chop the broccoli and the courgette in dice sized pieces.

Gently boil the veg for 3-4 minutes in half a cup of water and then blend it briefly into a thick paste. You're not looking to cook the stuff, just soften it enough to blend. It should be a gloopy consistency.

Agar is a vegetarian gelling agent made from seaweed. It's sometimes sold as sheets but I found little 2 gram sachets of powdered in a local healthfood shop. 2 grams is enough for half a litre of jam. Check the directions on the packets, some agars will need to be used differently. If the agar specifies cooking for any length of time you want to do that seperately. Green veg quickly loses nutrition and vitamins if you cook them too long.
    With powder it's enough to stir it in and boil for another 2-3 minutes.

After that I took it off the heat and stirred in:
    2 tbsp of spirulina powder
    a good pinch of normal fish food (I use tetra crisps but you could use flake, just powder it between your fingers)
    Some dried garlic or a small clove of fresh chopped very finely or pestled into paste

Now you got a pan of stinking green gloop. Take a soup plate, cover in clingfoil and pour in the mixture. Let it cool for 30-40 minutes and then cover the top with clingfoil.
    Put in the fridge for another 2 hours. By then it should have set. Cut into dice sized pieces, put in a freezer bag and freeze.

The first time I did this I used gelatin which didn't go down very well with the ancistrus at all. This recipe has every vegetarian in the tank go into the kind of feeding frenzy that would make a hammerhead shark blush. It also seems to satisfy them more quickly.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    So here is the food, all cut and put on trays ready to freeze. Once frozen they will go into tubs. Also had enough spare to keep for a weeks supply in the fridge.

image.jpg
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

Awards Showcase

TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 To renew your energy from posting so much.  :) - WhistlingBadger TGIF back at you ;-) - steeler58 
    TGIF - showmebutterfly TGIF...too bad it only comes once per week :-) - Taurus TGIF indeed! - RiversGirl TGIF -- and TFAYH (thanks for all your help!) - wgoldfarb TGIF! - Compass 
    My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Nice, I gotta try this soon....maybe over the Thanksgiving break when I have a little free time...did the fridge time help to solidify the food?...those look like fairly large chunks, what is your tank size and stocking?....sorry to have missed it
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, the gelatin kind of sinks, so the top looks rough but the rest is well stuck together. I used enough gelatin to set 1&1/2 pints of liquid.

Tanks are 42 and 48 gallons, SA CA cichlids, banjo cats, plecos, rasbora, silver dollars.

One cube is enough for one day.
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

Awards Showcase

TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 To renew your energy from posting so much.  :) - WhistlingBadger TGIF back at you ;-) - steeler58 
    TGIF - showmebutterfly TGIF...too bad it only comes once per week :-) - Taurus TGIF indeed! - RiversGirl TGIF -- and TFAYH (thanks for all your help!) - wgoldfarb TGIF! - Compass 
    My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Gotcha, thanks again for the info....can't wait to give it a try

2 Not allowed!
    Another tip, if you do freeze them, give them a shake after 4 hours or so, helps reduce the sticking together.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    That makes perfect sense, thanks dutchie

0 Not allowed!
    Agreed on the feeding frenzy. I have to feed my 100 gallon cichlid community tank at both ends so they can all get some. My oscar literally inhales the blocks whole.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeonflame View Post
    Agreed on the feeding frenzy. I have to feed my 100 gallon cichlid community tank at both ends so they can all get some. My oscar literally inhales the blocks whole.
    Well, Aeon, when can we expect a video of this frenzy??...I'd love to see it, as well as one of Scotti's