· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
  1. Default JoeH New 75G Project

0 Not allowed!
    Well guys its been abt 10 yrs since had an aquarium and was given a 75 gal one that had calcifications and bunch of other gook dried and hardened on the sides. the aquarium came with a stand of sorts it was a coffee table which is a little low for my liking.

it took me 16 plus hrs of scrubbing and scraping with a plastic putty knife to get it clean but it looks really good with just a few transparent circles where the calcium was. I figure after there is some water in the tank for a while it will soften up and regular cleaning of the glass it will come off. you cant really see it unless you at the right angle and in the right light.

I used to have problems with fish dying and i found out after reading articles to do this tank properly i figured out i was way overloading my tank with fish plus I was doing a 100% water change every month which from what I read was stressing them out too much. so now it is time to learn and do things right and who knows if this turns out wife will let me get my dream tank of 150 gals saltwater.

Here is a picture of my tank in its current state. since I do a lot of 3D cad work in my business I am designing a stand for it and when finished will post the plans somewhere for others to download for free if they are interested.

Aquarium-01.jpg

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Now I will also be making a custom hood for the tank and was wondering is it possible to cut that plastic piece out of the top center to open it up?

Now I am wondering on bottom material

I am used to those cute neon rocks but I really never cared for them it was more for my son who was 5 or 6 at the time.

I have heard of ppl using sand and other stuff besides rocks for the bottom of their aquarium and was wondering how sand is for bottoms i think would be nice to have some white sand or even maybe natural brown sand.

will play sand work?
    do I need rocks mixed in with the sand or can use sand only?

what are various bottoms I can use in the aquarium?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    here is a couple pictures of the stand I come up with

Stand-01.jpg

Stand-02.jpg
    Last edited by JoeH; 11-13-2013 at 05:43 PM.

4. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Tank looks pretty good! I wouldn't trust it on that coffee table... but it sounds like your building a stand anyway. I just put one together for my 75...

Read up on the cycling threads in the beginner section... I recommend the fishless method.

Big water changes aren't really an issue as long as the temp and pH are the same. Going a whole month between water changes can cause problems though...

5. Default

1 Not allowed!
    You posted while I was typing LOL. Do Not cut the center brace!!!!! It is structural.

I used pool filter sand in my 75 and I like it. I recommend researching the fish you want and trying to represent their natural habitat... Lots of options for a 75!!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    here is an exploded view of the stand

Stand-03.jpg

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ok thanks the coffee table is really sturdy and is what the aquarium was on when i got it. the wood is abt 1 1/2" thick on the corners it is really sturdy but its just too low for me

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That's basically the same design I used for my stand... pretty much bullet proof!

I've seen some pretty sturdy coffee tables too, but as a general rule I don't trust furniture to hold tanks, especially big tanks.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    just wanted to add a little info on your stand: I was advised to add more front-to-back braces on the top and bottom of my stand and I will pass the advice on to you. I have three on top and three on the bottom.

1 Not allowed!
    Looks good so far Joe. I agree that you should not cut the center brace from the tank frame. Your stand design looks good to me as well.

For sand, I do not like using playsand as it has a tendency to compact, unless it is stirred well on a regular basis. For a light colored sand, pool filter sand from a pool supply store is a better choice. For black sand I like black diamond sand blasting grit. Whatever sand you choose, be sure to rinse it thoroughly before adding it to the tank. I fill a 5g bucket halfway and let the hose run through it, letting the bucket overflow while stirring it with the end of the hose. It works great.
    Last edited by KingFisher; 11-13-2013 at 09:07 PM.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1